Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

K&N Air Filter Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-07, 03:03 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I was kinda pounding the filter on the ground to dislodge the loose bigger particles. I then realized that you need to tap not pound it cuz I saw some bending of the elements afterwards. I just bent them back to shape
It kinda felt like more than a little bit more air flow regardless, it's noticeable change.
It's somewhat delicate thing, it can bend easily, that's why i said tap...
Old 04-25-07, 07:18 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Wink

Originally Posted by o2GS43o
It's somewhat delicate thing, it can bend easily, that's why i said tap...
And tap is what I'll do. I just can't get over the difference of how the car accelerates now and I'm not even driving in Power mode. It'll probably be even better if I were to install one of those cold intake things. I'm content with a very clean air filter right now.
Old 04-25-07, 08:21 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
And tap is what I'll do. I just can't get over the difference of how the car accelerates now and I'm not even driving in Power mode. It'll probably be even better if I were to install one of those cold intake things. I'm content with a very clean air filter right now.
An intake would make your V8 sounds really, really mean!
Old 04-26-07, 08:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Nope. Not scammed here. I gained 2mpg with the K&N filter, and that's with constant result. All variables are kept as constant as possible. Same driving habit, same gas, same weather, same everything else.

My car is getting better gas mileage with the K&N. Surely, if the K&N was restricting air, I wouldn't get my improved gas mileage.

There is always a trade-off for air flow vs filtering. In this case, my car isn't going to die within 20,000 miles. The fuel economy increase is all worth it to me.
Old 04-26-07, 06:53 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

I don't think I'm scammed. Like I said, not in Power mode nor do I slam on the gas pedal. Maybe too early to see if gas mileage has improved.
Old 04-26-07, 09:19 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One of the local car mod shops had a demo K&N filter (small size) and a paper filter. K&N had the oil in it. It was just a simple demo between the amount of air that the paper vs K&N would flow. Had some sort of floating needle up top that was pushed by a fan underneath the filter. The K&N did indeed flow more. And yes, it did have the oil on it...asked the guy to remove the filter and the red stuff was there.

Where did you find info on the K&N that would lead it to be a scam? I would be VERY interested in finding out.
Old 04-27-07, 08:13 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

IMHO, if all auto manufacturers, and I do mean all, thought that oiled filter technology would increase MPG and horsepower for a minimal cost, don't you think they would incorporate it from the factory? I don't know of one manufacturer that does this.

I installed a K&N on my 2001 F-150 5 years ago. What I did get was a throatier acceleration, however, my oil was filthy after 2k miles under normal driving conditions. I couldn't understand why until I realized that it coincided with the K&N installation. I replaced it with OEM and never experienced dirty oil again.

Again, if you want your engine to last more that 100k, stick with OEM. Period.
Old 04-27-07, 09:12 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 460LEX
How can you be sure that when you apply the oil that it is uniform and the same amount each time. How can you be sure that you did not over oil. You may have oiled the filter OK one time then overoiled the next you cannot be sure how much oil to use. This is the problem with oil filters unless it is done in a controlled setting.
simple - if you put too much oil on the filter, it doesn't stay - it get sucked into the engine (And oil coats the air flow sensor sometimes in the process)

the K&N style filter is designed to work properly with the element saturated - meaning it can hold no more oil - any oil that is not absorbed by the filter material either drips off or is sucked into the engine and burnt...

K&N's do flow more air, oiled or not - the OE paper filters are pretty cheaply made, and although they do tend to catch more particles, they definitely restrict air flow - you get one or the other, in general, the more air it flows, the larger the holes are in it, meaning the larger the particles that get through are...

personally - performance car - K&N, daily driver - OE style filter (we use hastings / casite stuff) and it is IMO better quality than OE in many applications...
Old 04-27-07, 09:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
IMHO, if all auto manufacturers, and I do mean all, thought that oiled filter technology would increase MPG and horsepower for a minimal cost, don't you think they would incorporate it from the factory? I don't know of one manufacturer that does this.

Again, if you want your engine to last more that 100k, stick with OEM. Period.
Manufactors don't always put the "best" in our cars. They have to balance between performance and cost saving. If Lexus bought K&N filters for all their cars, it would cost them millions. To lexus, they could care less of what performance we get out. Not to mention, they make money off of OEM parts. Paper filters get thrown away after they get dirty. The average joe will will run to the dealer to buy more. That's where Lexus profits. On the other hand, someone with a K&N filter will buy the recharging kit and that should last them for years.

My engine had K&N filter for most of its life and yet the engine performs flawlessly. I change my engine oil every 1500 miles (I do very short commutes) so I'm not too worried about my oil being too dirty.
Old 04-27-07, 09:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
simple - if you put too much oil on the filter, it doesn't stay - it get sucked into the engine (And oil coats the air flow sensor sometimes in the process)

I use to worry about the MAF being dirty because of the oil from the filter. I now clean my MAF the day after I oil the K&N filter, and then clean the MAF once every month from there on after. NO problems so far
Old 04-27-07, 01:48 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

So let me get this straight. One of you cleans your MAF sensor regularly and the other changes his oil every 1500 miles. Well, I guess those are ways to prevent early failures.

The cost of the K&N plus the recharge kit runs about 75 bucks

I buy my filters in quantity for about 15 bucks each with shipping

Do the math... I can go 50k for a break even with OEM vs K&N. This doesn't include changing my oil every 1500 mi

Oh yeah...will run forever too...
Old 04-27-07, 04:22 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 460LEX
How can you be sure that when you apply the oil that it is uniform and the same amount each time. How can you be sure that you did not over oil. You may have oiled the filter OK one time then overoiled the next you cannot be sure how much oil to use. This is the problem with oil filters unless it is done in a controlled setting.

A wide area pump spray would solve this. Sure would beat oiling every groove with the little bottle they have. As for any missed areas/over oiled areas, capillary action usually takes care of this. Levels out unless it's extreme.

Now where did you find out (scientific sources?) that the K&N were possibly scams? Very sure it would be an interesting read.
Old 04-27-07, 04:28 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Then why don't you use dry filters that don't need Oil such as AFE, and HKS
Old 04-27-07, 05:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

So let me get this straight. One of you cleans your MAF sensor regularly and the other changes his oil every 1500 miles. Well, I guess those are ways to prevent early failures.

Do the math... I can go 50k for a break even with OEM vs K&N. This doesn't include changing my oil every 1500 mi

I should add in the fact that it takes me months to reach 1500 miles . I only drive 4000 miles a year . I only run the K&N because it came with the car so the recharging kit only cost me $15
Old 04-27-07, 07:15 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

As I said earlier in this thread the Recharge Kit was about 11 bucks and have plenty of the cleaner and oil remaining. I'm not concerned with that price knowing that I have plenty more of this kit remaining.