Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

K&N Air Filter Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-07, 04:12 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N Air Filter Cleaning

I've always tapped my filter on the ground to remove dirt and other debris, is it ok to spray water on it too?
Old 03-25-07, 06:17 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Yes, but make sure you pour the water from the inside out, so that the water goes through the filter in the opposite direction that the air would go through it. If you pour it on from the outside, it can just lodge the dirt further into the filter and that won't help at all. Pick up the K&N Recharge kit, it includes a cleaner that dislodges trapped dirt and oil to reoil the filter after you clean it with water.
Old 03-25-07, 08:20 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Tapping the filter will only get the larger particles out, but just use the recharger kit which only go about i believe the last time i bought one was around $10...
Old 03-27-07, 05:26 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Yes, but make sure you pour the water from the inside out, so that the water goes through the filter in the opposite direction that the air would go through it. If you pour it on from the outside, it can just lodge the dirt further into the filter and that won't help at all. Pick up the K&N Recharge kit, it includes a cleaner that dislodges trapped dirt and oil to reoil the filter after you clean it with water.
Originally Posted by o2GS43o
Tapping the filter will only get the larger particles out, but just use the recharger kit which only go about i believe the last time i bought one was around $10...
Never knew that there was a Recharge Kit out there. Sounds kind of wierd for an air filter product. Anyway something that' I'll buy to truly clean my air filter. Thanks for the info and replies.
Old 04-01-07, 02:34 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Thanks for the advice, I picked up my Recharge Kit from Pep Boys for about $11.
Old 04-01-07, 03:06 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw dont pour oil onto the filter
put it in a spray bottle and mist it lightly because excess oil can go thru the filter and get onto the MAF sensor easily
it would be a pain in the *** to clean the MAF then (well not that big of a pain unless u break a wire in the MAF)

^ this tip is provided by narfy in another K&N thread

also ive read that some members use simple green diluted to clean the filter too
but since u have the recharge kit, its all good, just use that
Old 04-02-07, 01:08 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

yea the recharging kit works pretty darn well. I like their cleaner. The oil is okay, but I have trouble getting the filter oiled right between the filter elements.
Old 04-02-07, 10:07 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i used this blowing thing to blow all the stuff out of my cone filter.

its almost like those things that the gardeners use to blow the grass out.. but this one is personal. almost like a HUGE blow dryer that blows room temp air just 10x faster =]. ...

this is kinda off topic but.. when the car was idleing. i had the blower blowing air in the intake filter n reved it =] it gave me a smile! since the needle went up FASTER then without it hehe..
Old 04-24-07, 09:54 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Let me tell ya guys, what a difference. I used this Recharge kit on Sunday afternoon to "properly" clean my K&N filter. This morning on my way to work the car had a better feel when I accelerated. There were a lot of times where I thought I was just a few miles above the speed limit and I glanced down at the speedometer to see that it was more than just a "few". BTW, the oil that came with mine came as a aerosal spray can which was easy to apply. The instructions had writing for both the spray can and the bottle which in the picture you'd just pour into each element. High marks for this.
Old 04-24-07, 10:05 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Congrats

Our filters accumulate dirt quite fast
Old 04-24-07, 10:08 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Youc an tap the dirt off which will dislodge the huge particles on there, but to actually clean it well, use the recharge kit, It's easier to use the spray than the bottle... I presume your just getting a little bit more air flow through the air filter, as they say, the filter catches more particles when it's partially used...
Old 04-24-07, 10:09 AM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSteg
Congrats

Our filters accumulate dirt quite fast
How fast does yours get dirty? Mine still looks NEW... only had it for like 3 months tho but put on about 3-4k miles...
Old 04-24-07, 12:34 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Youc an tap the dirt off which will dislodge the huge particles on there, but to actually clean it well, use the recharge kit, It's easier to use the spray than the bottle... I presume your just getting a little bit more air flow through the air filter, as they say, the filter catches more particles when it's partially used...
I was kinda pounding the filter on the ground to dislodge the loose bigger particles. I then realized that you need to tap not pound it cuz I saw some bending of the elements afterwards. I just bent them back to shape
It kinda felt like more than a little bit more air flow regardless, it's noticeable change.
Old 04-24-07, 01:11 PM
GSteg
Rookie

How fast does yours get dirty? Mine still looks NEW... only had it for like 3 months tho but put on about 3-4k miles...
Mine became dirty after just 3 months. Everytime I clean it, there are lots of dirt that comes out of the filter. It's more like dust particle rather than chunks of dirt, but nonetheless, it's still dirty
Old 04-24-07, 03:02 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

but in your 3 months, you probably drive like 1k miles, so you must drive in dirt a lot!

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter Cleaning