Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

changing the sleeves and other things

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06, 07:50 AM
cdvmagic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing the sleeves and other things

My sc400 has 110 miles on it and a guy that I know that's an expert on maintaining cars told me that because of my high mileage I have to change the sleeves of the engine.
What is that?
And how can I check to make sure that it needs to be replaced.
And another thing.
My aunt brought her 1997 Dodge Caravan in for engine replacment and they found out that the car needed an new MASTER CYLINDER for the brakes and they told her that one day the car will not stop because the CYLINDER is in bad codition.
They also told her to change the supension and bearing because they told her that the wheels on that car was about to pop out!!!
Her car is a 97
Mine is 94.
So you can understand my concern and the record for this car at the dealer don't say anything about suspencion and bearing replacment.
The Caravan is a VAN so it has stronger suspension and bearings then a coupe so i'm worried.
So MY question is:
How do I inspect the suspension and bearings to see if they need to be replaced?
And what do I have to look for on the brake Master cylinder?
Or do I just replace that for peace of mind?
And what do I do when my brakes won't work because on all auto transmission cars when you put the car is park the front wheels will lock but my car is a rear wheel drive so when I put it in park I don't know if the rear wheels will lock instead of my front wheels or if it's opposite so that the parkong break will lock the front wheels and the transmission the rear wheels so I'm totally confused here so please tell me how will I be able to stop this car is the master cylinder fails.
Can I just shift it all the way down?
Will it damage the tranny or not?
Old 12-21-06, 08:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If he is talking about the engine sleeve, then you need to check with a different mechanic. 110k miles is nothing on the sleeves and they rarely fail, if at all. There are plenty of cars with 250k+ miles that are on stock engine without re-sleeving. You can't really check for it either unless you take apart the engine to inspect the sleeve wall. It's not something you can really do in an hour or two.
Old 12-21-06, 06:01 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend you to get another mechanic. This guy don't know anything about the 1-UZ engine at all. He is more likely a domestic mechanic.
Old 12-21-06, 09:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
I recommend you to get another mechanic. This guy don't know anything about the 1-UZ engine at all. He is more likely a domestic mechanic.
lol, hes prolly used to stuff falling off at 100k mi
Old 12-22-06, 06:36 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone here will tell you the same thing,...find a better mechanic.
Old 12-23-06, 02:00 PM
cdvmagic
Driver

Ok so I won't worry too much about the sleeves and actually: he is a domestic mechanic but the thing is I don't know a lot of people who drives 13 year old cars.
But I still want to know how I can inspect my brake master cylinder and suspension system to make sure things don't happen like my wheels popping out or brake failure because that will cause damage to the car so I am a little bit nervous about that.
I also want to know if any of you ever had that problem with brake failing or wheels popping out or something like that.
Old 12-23-06, 05:03 PM
okiaristo
Pole Position

TAKE IT TO ANOTHER MECHANIC!!!! you seem to not know about cars and he knows this so he will say all sorts of stupid stuff needs to be fixed. why are you trying to fix something that is not broken? if it not part of the normal maint, let it be and wait to actually hear/feel indicators that some thing is going wrong. wheels dont fall off because the master cylinder fails. good luck

Last edited by okiaristo; 12-23-06 at 05:04 PM. Reason: because i cant spell...
Old 12-23-06, 07:13 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by cdvmagic
M\
change the sleeves of the engine.
What is that?
And how can I check to make sure that it needs to be replaced.

So MY question is:
How do I inspect the suspension and bearings to see if they need to be replaced?

And what do I have to look for on the brake Master cylinder?
Or do I just replace that for peace of mind?

how will I be able to stop this car is the master cylinder fails.
Can I just shift it all the way down?
Will it damage the tranny or not?
There are too many questions ranging from engine to suspension to brakes. I can only suggest that get a trusted mechanic or get some education on cars or both.

Dealerships end up little expensive but hopefully they dont prey on fears.
For education, I highly reccomend Reader's Digest book on cars.

Sleeves: As the bore gets out of round the machinest do an overbore and install larger piston and rings. This can be done once or twice and then a sleeve is put in the overbored block and orignal size pistons and rings are used.

Suspension and bearings: Is detected by eratic directional behavior and is confirmed by through inspection and measurements.

Master cylender failure: First is steer (you manuver to avoid acident), second is pump-brakes (to generate as much pressure as possible), third is the auxillary brake, fourth is gears ... remember to move into "N" once the speed is reduced or shutdwon the engine [note when the engine is shut down, power assist steering is lost and brake boost is lost as well].

Salim
Old 01-02-07, 05:08 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

master cylinder starting to fail feels like mushy brakes... how do the brakes "feel"

this is typically something you need some experience to feel for sure, but if you feel comfortable with the pedal effort, and the brakes don't feel like you have to push them through the floor to stop, then you are probably ok...

as far as the cylinder sleeve, heh... find someone reputable that knows what they are talking about...

suspension and bearings - jack up each corner, and look for movement in the bushings and overall when trying to move the wheel itself...