Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Jiffy Lube or Not????

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-06, 08:07 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hell554... HELL NO!
Old 07-29-06, 09:18 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by educk
if you are really compelled to save some $$$, find out how much fluid you need for the refill, and ask Jiffy to use your stuff...Or find a mom+pop local tranny shop, and ask them if they'll do the work if you supply the materials. Most will agree, and at worst they make you sign a waiver.
Sure you can ask Jip-Lube to use the fluid you supply yourself and they'd probably say okay, but unless you are standing right next to the car watching them do the work, they are likely to just keep your more expensive fluids and STILL rip you off by using their generic crap without you knowing it. Probably the same deal with the mom and pop outfits too. I would insist on watching them do the work if you are going to try that. Otherwise, while you are sitting in the waiting room, they'll be stashing your expensive Mobil1 and pouring cheap crap into your engine.
I've even heard of instances where they took the tranny fluid that they drained out of one car, and poured it into another because it still looked sort of clean. Who's to know, right? That's 100% profit for them and they don't even have to worry about disposing of the old fluid. They just put it into the next sucker's car that comes along !!
You have to be very cautious of services like that where, unless you are right there watching as they perform the work, there is really no way to tell afterwards if they screwed you or not. If they can get away with it, you can count on it that they will try. Their bottom line is always: PROFITS! PROFITS! PROFITS !

My advice: DO NOT VENTURE WITHIN 100 YARDS OF ANY JIFFYLUBE !!!!!!

Last edited by Lexucan; 07-29-06 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-29-06, 11:22 AM
educk
Rookie

I agree about watching them...Most places around here in Metro DC have "open door" policies about allowing the customer to watch. Actually, dealerships do not, but I know the local Midas and NTB allow you to stand right next to your car if you wish (as long as you wear goggles, LOL).

And also, it comes down to if you trust the technician/mechanic where you take your car. In my life, I have had bad issues with both dealerships and mom+pop shops (three examples I can think of...) All three times, the shop made it right in the end. But it goes to show, anyone can have a bad day, and again goes back to who you can trust, and if they'll allow you to supervise the work. Let's face it, a $30 oil change can ruin your multi-thousand dollar car if it is done incorrectly.
Old 07-29-06, 03:08 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by educk
it comes down to if you trust the technician/mechanic where you take your car. In my life, I have had bad issues with both dealerships and mom+pop shops. Let's face it, a $30 oil change can ruin your multi-thousand dollar car if it is done incorrectly.
And also the parts department has to be reputable. They can really soak you on the price of parts if you're not careful. I recently had some service work done at at Toyota dealership and they discovered that my power steering pump was leaking. So, I asked their parts department what a new pump would cost...AND....I reminded them that since my ES300 is based on the Camry platform, there should be a good possibility that the pump would be the same as that which is on the Camry V6. Their answer: Camry pump not compatible, must buy a Lexus pump. Since then I did some research (most of it on this site ) and discovered that the Camry and Lexus pumps are indeed one and the same....except for the price.! I was quoted a price of $700+ for the Lexus pump and I made a few calls myself to auto parts places for the price for a Camry pump, which is $200.....BIG BIG difference! So, the Toyota dealership parts department was either:

A) imcompetent (they are Toyota for Pete's sake....can't they determine that a Camry pump with fit an ES300??)
B) trying to scam me into paying a huge price for the pump which would mean a huge profit for them.

So, not only do you have to watchful of mechanics when getting service work done (unless of course you know and trust your mechanic), but you have to make sure you are getting a reasonable quote on any parts needed.

Last edited by Lexucan; 07-29-06 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 06:46 PM
hell554
Driver School Candidate

I plan on calling Toyota on Monday and getting an appointment to have the flush service done. I run Mobile 1 and change my engine oil every 5k miles. After this flush, I plan an draining the tranny pan with each oil change and maintaing the tranny with the same service itervals as do with the engine oil. A small cost to keep my multi-thousand dollar tranny from messing up.

I guess it is safe to say that JIFFY LUBE SUCKS!
Old 07-30-06, 03:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

no way i am getting things done on my dearest car at places like that.... i would just find a good local mechanic shop tha ti can trust
Old 07-31-06, 08:50 AM
hell554
Driver School Candidate

Went to the local Toyota dealer today and had the flush done to the car....Lexus wanted $300+, got it done for just less than $200...Same machine, same fluid, just a different price..>>>>

Now that I have th flush done, I plan on draining the pan and filling with 2 new quarts at my 5k mile oil changes....

Spending an extra couple of hundred bucks at a dealer is far better than replacing my tranny!! Thanks for the imput and opinions....

hell554

IT JUST SO HAPPENS
THAT I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW
THAT ONE CAN NEVER KNOW
WHAT MAY JUST HAPPEN
Old 08-09-06, 08:27 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmf2004
It would be worth the 285.00.. Lexus dealer, lexus service, lexus responsibilty if something happened.. and you know it would be done right..

Jiffy Lube.... No way...
" and you know it would be done right.. " Sure ..
Old 08-09-06, 10:42 AM
flyfl1pguy

SO lesson here is not to trust big chain store. I bet most shop will try to cheat you out of a lot of services. Its better to go to a reputable shop that you know will do the services you need.
Old 08-09-06, 11:13 AM
Streamline
Pole Position

Stay away from Jiffy Lube.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231475

Am currently dealing w/ my situation right now.

Jiffy Lube is the corporation. But the location (and possibly most locations) are
franchises.

Most of the techs are either:

1) high school/college kids w/ only slightly "basic" experience.
2) people that can't get jobs and are stuck doing the "retail" bit.

There are NO SAE certified or BAR certified mechanics at all. Just joe schmoes that went through Jiffy Lube certified "training".

They got me this time. That's for sure. Will see what happens.

Let me point some things out if you really want to chance it w/ your car.

1) Do they use torque wrenches when they torque down the oil drain plug? I'll give you the answer...NO.
2) Do these non-professional "lubers" know/bear the full legal liabilities when they ***** up your car? NO.
3) Do they think they know more than you, and proceed to treat you condescendingly when a problem arises? YES. Because they are "professional lubers"...which is sad IMO.
4) Do they sell you ***** you don't need? Absolutely. Every time I was there in the past (and my recent time), they tried to sell me on transmission fluid flush. This, despite the fact they didn't know my mechanic changed out my clutch 2 months ago...which requires installing fresh fluid.

These guys are there to make their sales quota. Once they make quota, they get a bonus. They LIVE off of the bonus. So why would they have incentive to not sell you stuff you don't need?

I know this stuff because a friend of mine used to work at Jiffy Lube. I know more info than most...and due to my recent incident, I may end up going to small claims.

Do yourself a favor and take it to a "professional" mechanic and not a "quick lube" shop. Either that, or do it yourself.

If you can't do it yourself this weekend, postpone it until next weekend, or a month. Your car WILL NOT die because you postpone it for a bit.
Old 09-03-06, 08:42 PM
CO-LS400
Driver

Jiffy Lube - Grease Monkey -- Quicky Lubes , etc.
Stay away!!! they stink!!! Rip - offs and they use cheap product
Old 09-03-06, 09:01 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Would avoid it and go for a good independent...who are usually more than happy to let you watch. At least with my uncle doing the service work, he and I work together, so we both know what we are getting in the end.
Old 09-03-06, 10:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Everyone must keep in mind one thing, all of these are multi chain shops with presidents, vice presidents, district managers, sales managers, etc..... All have budgets, quotas, internal incentives, sales contests, forecast, etc... that they must meet so it is no wonder that they delve into areas they should not just to make a sale even if it is not required. Independents normally do not have these pressures as they are more interested in return business. Another reason I do all of my own maintenance even with my tight schedule.
Old 09-04-06, 12:27 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

You bought a Lexus, use the dealership. That is one of the bennys of owning a Lexus is the great customer service. Plus it will add value when you sell since you will have a record of service through Lexus.
Old 09-05-06, 12:01 AM
BennySC400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Max707
You bought a Lexus, use the dealership. That is one of the bennys of owning a Lexus is the great customer service. Plus it will add value when you sell since you will have a record of service through Lexus.
you said my name!

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube or Not????