Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: which do you prefer?
NGK
46.93%
Denso
35.74%
Just stick a hampster in each cyl.
17.33%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

iridium plugs - NGK or DENSO?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 12:30 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the Denso plugs after my hampsters wore out.
Old 08-17-06, 10:30 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TTEHarrier
Wow, anyone see a similarity to these

http://129.33.208.36/LIridiumSparkPlug.jpg
Old 08-21-06, 07:28 PM
kpuri
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
Wow, anyone see a similarity to these

http://129.33.208.36/LIridiumSparkPlug.jpg
TRD Plugs are re-branded Denso IK Series (IK is good for about 30k Vs.SK Series good for 90k-120k) look close and you can see the U Groove that Denso is known for on the Iridiums
Old 08-25-06, 03:17 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I changed my plugs on my 98 3.4 PreRunner at 50K miles. When I pulled the first plug I couldn't help but notice that it was in NEW condition. So I take out the other two on the left bank and when I took out the first one on the right bank I noticed the plug was worn noticeably more then the other three. At this point I start to get that ****ty feeling of something being wrong. After taking out the last two plugs I noticed the right bank of plugs are all showing ware and the left bank is looking new. So I'm thinking why, maybe there is an ignition problem! Then noticed the plugs were different, yes 3 NGKs and 3 Denso. Apparently this was done at the factory. The NGKs were like new and the Denso's were worn. Moral of the story; NOT ALL PLUGS ARE CREATED EQUAL!

Koz
Old 09-07-06, 02:25 PM
ib_jimmy
Driver

Had a set of Denso Iridium in my 97 Acura 3.0CL, took those plugs out when i sold the Ack, sand blasted 'em and transfer them into the GS3 after I research and discover it was the same part number. Felt improvment right away after i installed it in the CL and the in GS after it was used for over 2 years.
Old 09-15-06, 11:22 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

ive been using ngk since my first car .switched up couple times and out of bosch denso champion ngk,s are the best
Old 10-01-06, 02:32 AM
rk4g63
Driver School Candidate

Looks like everyone thinks Denso wears faster and in my Talon, I've seen the same.
However, I recently bought a 1993 SC300 and it has 143k. Still running on original plugs as well as original wires. I noticed some hesitation on acceleration - so I took out the plugs. One was yellow as hell - I swapped in for that plug and saw that the performance was back to normal.
Mesage: The stock plugs and wires were still on the damn car, and still running! Weird!
Old 10-13-06, 09:06 AM
stonewis
Pole Position

Default Omg!

So many opinions! I thought I could browse through this forum and get a good idea on which plugs to use... blah! NGK, Denso, TRD, hamsters....
I think I'll just go with the hamsters.
Old 10-13-06, 12:51 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The hamsters need a lot more care and maintenance.
Far as I'm concerned, you can go NGK, Denso, or TRD equally, or step up to the Torquemasters.
Old 10-13-06, 06:55 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Jerry -- I'm coming up on my 90k and will be replacing the plugs. In your opinion (and I guess I know the answer), is it a waste of money to use NGK or Denso when for a little more money you can upgrade to TM? Also, do the TMs last as long as the OEM?

e
Old 10-13-06, 08:31 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Hey e!
Well, performance wise, I'm getting better response from the TMs than I ever got from any stock plug, probably ANY other plug for that matter.
Longevity I don't know. I've probably only had them in for 10K miles. Longevity is always relative though. I tend to yank plugs earlier, as soon as performance drops off significantly. Many others will stay with the plugs until time limit, or they're so fouled that they have no choice.

Tell me you're not thinking about putting a non-stock plug in. I won't believe it if you are.

Seriously, I would stick with Denso Iridium (stock plug). It's a great plug. I don't think quite as much about the NGK Iridiums (had them in my Supra), but they're OK too. I think the TMs are really great when paired with the SRT intake. I wouldn't think a stock car really needs the marginally extra performance. We're probably talking about $12 each for TMs vs $8 each for Denso or NGK? Probably better off replacing Denso's every 60K instead of putting that money into TM's.

Jerry
Old 10-13-06, 08:45 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Jerry -- you must not have heard. I now have a drop in K&N filter and the L-tuned exhaust. What's this world coming to?

As for the plugs, I think that's good advice. I'll probably just stick with the stock plugs. The OEM ones have lasted 90k, and they've never caused any problem. By the way, what's the difference between Denso and NGK? Just the brand name?
Old 10-13-06, 09:24 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

OMG L-Tuned Exhaust??? Now you can upgrade to the K&N FIPK to get rid of the stock intake restriction. Then you might as well get the TM's, see. Off to the races.

Was it a blood transfusion, a brain transfusion, or lobotomy? Mafia bribe? Offer you couldn't refuse? Mid-life crisis?

Denso is a Japanese manufacturer of various OEM parts, used by Toyota, Nissan, and others. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denso.

NGK is a Japanese manufacturer of spark plugs, wires, & associated items.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGK.

NGK & Denso do not share parts, they are made differently, but relatively similar.
Old 10-14-06, 07:22 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Somewhat offtopic, my buddy, who owned a beautiful 93 MR2, fully modded, told me something i found interesting. I bought myself some NGKs and told him they were plats. Well he said, he would prefer anything thats copper. He said the copper ones are the most conductive of all the metals available for spark plugs.
copper plugs perform much better in turbo and nitrous applications than any other plug...

couple that with the fact that you can set your own gaps on copper plugs, and you will quickly realize why turbo guys use copper plugs... (plus they are cheap)

they do have to be replaced more often - I replaced mine in my track dsm every time I went to the track, but it was worth it to me... I could get away with 3-6000 miles of normal driving, but I always wanted the best at the track...

I run the coppers in my SC400 and my car runs better times than even R&T were able to get out of the car back in 93 when it was brand new... Not saying it's the spark plugs, but it definitely isn't losing power due to the spark plugs (my car is bone stock, with 19"/18" wheels which undoubtedly weigh more than the stock 16's)
Old 10-14-06, 02:35 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

90k on my TMs. Replaced them a while ago with another set of TMs. Go get em.

Percy

Quick Reply: iridium plugs - NGK or DENSO?