Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Synthetic oil to Regular oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 10:16 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oil to Regular oil?

I have a 92 SC300 with 186K. For the last 6-7 oil changes, I have been using Mobile 1 1030.. But after getting a valve cover gasket and distributor gasket redone, im thinkinga bout going back to regular non synth oil.

Anyone have any input on this? I remember hearing once you go synthetic you shouldnt go back. I may just stick to synthetic and fix the leaks, but dont know when I would be able to afford fixing my Cam seal leak.

And whats good dino? All i know about is Mobile 1 synthetic.
Old 04-15-06, 08:32 PM
qwerty123
Driver School Candidate

Default Changing from Synthetic to Reg Oil

I'm not an expert, But I've been told that you shouldn't go back bacause of possible leaking from seals and gaskets. Just a little advice
Old 04-15-06, 09:22 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually the advice is not to go synthetic after high miles as it may cause leaking due its superior cleaning ability vs dino oil. It cleans out carbon deposits that may have been plugging leaks. Don't really think there are any downfalls to going back to dino from synth, though. I have 102k miles on my car. I'm doing the AutoRx treatment and have been using dino for the last 1000 miles. Was using synth from 30k. No problems at all so far.
Old 04-15-06, 09:28 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Usually the advice is not to go synthetic after high miles as it may cause leaking due its superior cleaning ability vs dino oil. It cleans out carbon deposits that may have been plugging leaks. Don't really think there are any downfalls to going back to dino from synth, though. I have 102k miles on my car. I'm doing the AutoRx treatment and have been using dino for the last 1000 miles. Was using synth from 30k. No problems at all so far.

x2

I went back to syn for auto-rx and i have no problem

The fiasco about not going back to dino is just rumors or misinterpreted. If you're getting new seals and all that, there should be no reason why dino would harm your engine. If anything, the oil this thicker than synthetic (syn. flows easier when hot) so it would not make sense that dino will leak.
Old 04-15-06, 09:48 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

go with Mobil Clean High Mileage or Valvoline Max Life

Old 04-17-06, 06:11 AM
jag_600
Driver

I've gone dino, part-syn, syn, and back to dino, engine is fine with all of them, no leaks, no problems @ 133k
Old 04-17-06, 07:02 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

It's bs both ways.
You can run whatever you want, provided it meets/exceeds the original specification, and you change it before it breaks down/turns very thick.
Changing to & from, or mixing in synthetic with a dino is like sneezing. Lots of crap comes out of someone, but it's inconcequential.

That being said, yes, synthetic is better.
Old 04-17-06, 07:12 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Cool. Thanks guys. Im checking out Auto-RX now myself.
Old 04-17-06, 08:44 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

hemogoblin, out of curiosity, what did it cost to get your valve cover gasket leak fixed? I have the same leak, and I am losing oil like nobody's business because of it. Also where did you have this done?
Old 04-18-06, 04:04 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Well total labor for a Sparkplug change, cap/rotor, valve cover gasket, distributor o-ring gasket, and alternator swap was $400. Its the price of labor for a tuneup + about another 1.5 hours.

I had it done at a local shop in Los Angeles.
Old 04-18-06, 05:15 PM
Mwmorph
Driver

a valve cover gasket replace isnt all that hard. yout cna do it in a driveway if you wanted. All you need are new gaskets and some silicone sealant(black usually, comes in tubes, in auto stores, smells very strong and acidic). It takes a decent chuck of time, espically if you are inexprienced, but it's basically celaring/removing everything blocking access, unbolt all bolts on valve cover, take off valve cover, replace gasket with a dab of the sealant on the corners(i prefer beeads all around) and then reinstal all parts in reverse order.

also, if you can afford it, look at some Amsoil synthetic with Mobil 1 filters(purolator filters are nice too). Amsoil is positively the best, but it does get expensive, espically if you have one of the bigger lexus V8s.
Old 04-18-06, 07:24 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks! I don't know if I can do it myself, maybe I'll give it a shot during summer. I am currently running AMSOIL Synthetic and my baby loves it
Old 04-23-06, 12:14 AM
ISC400
Pole Position

I just changed to sythetic oil a lil over 3 weeks ago and i am VERY satisfied with the results because my car has 195k miles. she feels smooter and i've noticed a lil change in power and MPG. Just to let everyone know i choose to go with Quaker state fully synthetic high RPM 10w-30w oil.
Old 04-23-06, 05:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I also noticed my car being a slug with dino oil after running mobil1 syn. My gas mileage also decreased

after auto-rx, i'm going back to syn!
Old 05-12-06, 04:44 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
x2

I went back to syn for auto-rx and i have no problem

The fiasco about not going back to dino is just rumors or misinterpreted. If you're getting new seals and all that, there should be no reason why dino would harm your engine. If anything, the oil this thicker than synthetic (syn. flows easier when hot) so it would not make sense that dino will leak.
Yes,whoever says syn oil cause oil leak please back up with reasoning.

A direct quote from http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/carcare/whattoknow.asp

Myth #5

Synthetic oil causes engine leaks.
Synthetic motor oils eat gasket material and cause engines to leak.
Synthetic motor oils affect engine seals and result in excessive oil leakage.
Synthetic oil can’t be used on high-mileage engines.
Synthetic and synthetic blend motor oils cannot be used in older or high-mileage vehicles.

Fact
Synthetic oils do not cause engine oil leaks. Deteriorated and hardened seals and gasket material cause engine oil leaks. If the seals are already leaking with conventional motor oil, they will leak with synthetic oil. If the seals are in good condition, synthetic oils may be used in high-mileage engines.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil to Regular oil?