Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

High mileage + Seafoam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-06, 01:46 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High mileage + Seafoam?

I was planning on doing a seafoam treatment on my '95 SC300 w/ 184,000 miles on it. It's never been done on it before and I was wondering if it'd be dangerous at all.. for example, a big *** piece of carbon buildup comes loose and all hell breaks loose.
Old 03-14-06, 04:10 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it to my 93 SC300 which has over 245k miles on the motor. I pulled out the EGR's vacuum hose and I let her have it. I think it should be safe for you. Just do sips at a time and keep your RPMs at midrange.
Old 03-15-06, 08:28 AM
LocknRoll
Rookie

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I did it to my 93 SC300 which has over 245k miles on the motor. I pulled out the EGR's vacuum hose and I let her have it. I think it should be safe for you. Just do sips at a time and keep your RPMs at midrange.
dont wanna thread jack, but hows your car running with 245k on the motor? i love to hear about how these otors last so long.
Old 03-15-06, 07:08 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LocknRoll
dont wanna thread jack, but hows your car running with 245k on the motor? i love to hear about how these otors last so long.
245k is nothing, i think there's people with over 300k on their motor.
they're just cool like that

and jspec, thanks for the info. did you notice a big difference after doing it? i'll do it once it gets nicer out, its been too damn cold in ohio.
Old 03-16-06, 08:41 AM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldnt do it if I were you. My car has 249k and I just couldnt gather the courage to do it after reading how many people had neg. experiences.
Old 03-16-06, 02:55 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

had a shop sea foam, with an oil change, but he said he didnt see any smoke, think he did it wrong.

Otherwise it didnt do any noticable harm to my car. But w/e dont hold me liable if something happens to you
Old 03-18-06, 03:22 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

There has been one negative report of hundreds on seafoam use. That was from an suv owner than sucked an entire pint of seafoam up at one time & hydrolocked his engine. Idiot...
Carbon doesn't come in chunks. It's a thin layer than can wipe off with about any solvent if wiped hard enough. It's not going to fly out & kill anything.
Find my post on Seafoam in the ES forum & refference that. If you put it in your intake a couple of times, expect better throttle transision. If you flush your oil with (anything) expect a noticeably smoother idle.

That's how you apply it.
If you're still skeptical, find my old ToyotaNation threads on Seafoam & Seafoam in general & count the dozen<s> of people that went nuts over it once it started steam rolling.
Old 03-18-06, 10:18 PM
Hai_Nguyen
Pole Position

thanks for all the info, i did my first seafoam treatment for my sc300 earlier tonight, was a lot more simple than i had even thought. i probably should've put in more through the brake booster. it smoked for about 3-4 minutes then after a drive around it all stopped, i changed the oil and that was the end of it. i only felt a small difference, idle feels a little better, but it seems like a good bang for the buck procedure. i think i'm gonna keep doing it before each oil change. it cant do any harm, right?
my only complaint was it was smoking so much after i had started my car back up that when i backed out and turned backwards out of the garage i forgot there was a giant ****ing yellow pole there and scraped my front bumper!.. i'm gonna try to buff it out tomorrow though. i feel like a moron now. =/