Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

2001 gs3 brake fluid ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-06, 07:25 PM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 gs3 brake fluid ????

i tried to search but didn't find anything useful... i'm doing my brakes this weekend... have done brakes on otehr cars b4 but never my lexus. like the title says i ahve a 2001 lexus gs300 and have purchased pads and rotors for all corners. any difficulties i should watch out for... and also what type of brake fluid do u recommend? DOT ??? thanks
Old 01-05-06, 07:15 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mr. aristo
i tried to search but didn't find anything useful... i'm doing my brakes this weekend... have done brakes on otehr cars b4 but never my lexus. like the title says i ahve a 2001 lexus gs300 and have purchased pads and rotors for all corners. any difficulties i should watch out for... and also what type of brake fluid do u recommend? DOT ??? thanks

Pretty simple to do the brakes.....if you have done brakes on other cars, this shouldn't be very difficult for you. The only thing that threw me off when I did mine a couple of weeks ago is that I couldn't get my rear rotors off..........did some searches on here and realized that I should NOT have my emergency brake on

I would also get a mini turkey baster thing and suck out a bit of the brake fluid before you start cause the brake fluid level is going to rise from pushing the brake pistons in the get your new pads in. Good luck

Oh yeah....use toyota brake fluid IMO...
Old 01-05-06, 07:38 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to toyota for some Dot 3 factory fluid. It will be the same as lexus fluid. Manual states Dot 3 or 4.

Watch for the squeel wear detectors on the inner front pads; they may need to be reinstalled on the new pads. Rears should be already installed. Use a good caliper grease on the shims and slider pins/bolts. Have the rotors turned if needed.
Search these forums for instructions and tips on the replacement proceedures. It is pretty simple as brake replacements go.
Old 01-05-06, 05:36 PM
FuzzyMD
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard man good things about this brake fluid

http://www.raceshopper.com/ate_brake_fluid.shtml

key selling point IMHO for cars that don't go to track:

This means that cars can go without a brake fluid change for up to 3 years while products with a lower wet boiling point have to be replaced considerably more often
Old 01-13-06, 12:40 AM
mr. aristo
Lead Lap

well did the brakes and i have to say it was the easiest brake job ever.... replacement part totals was 225 dollars all new rotors, pads, anti squeal, shims, & brake fluids took an hour
Old 01-13-06, 05:07 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If they start squeeling, especially the fronts, coat the pad backplates and shims with "CRC synthetic brake caliper grease". It's designed for this purpose; won't melt or migrate to the pad face. It won't dry out like some of the brake quiet compounds dealers use. It works great !

Since just the bottom caliper 14mm bolt needs to be removed to swing up the caliper, the brake pad removel and replacement is very simple. I cleaned, greased and reused all the shims and upper and lower stainless clips.
The bolts removed on the front are torqued to 25 Ft Lbs and the rear to 20 Ft Lbs.
Old 01-13-06, 12:26 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mr. aristo
use oem pads and make sure u reuse the anti squeel kit