Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Brake question (non lexus).

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 01:02 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake question (non lexus).

I've got a strange problem with a 95 Mitsubishi Montero truck.
The brakes worked fine till one day when the brake pedal decided to become really spongy and also engages very low (close to the firewall).
After checking all the calipers and pads (they're new), bleeding the system, I decided it was a bad master cylinder.
Changed the master cylinder. no effect. Could've been a bad new M/C so I chaned it yet again. no change.
With engine off, the pedal is solid / hard and doesnt drop at all even after constant pressure. Hence I'm assuming there's no air in the system and M/C is good.
As soon as the engine is turned on, the pedal drops almost 5 or so inches. With the engine ON and car running I can get a high pedal if the pedal is pumped. Given I've bled the system thoroughly atleast 8 times by now, bench bled master cylinder as well, could someone kindly tell me what else could be causing this issue ? It does have ABS but the ABS isnt working due to bad ABS sensors. The brakes worked fine for a year even after ABS wasn't working so I'm assuming ABS is not related to this issue... any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-02-06, 04:30 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexs400
I've got a strange problem with a 95 Mitsubishi Montero truck.
The brakes worked fine till one day when the brake pedal decided to become really spongy and also engages very low (close to the firewall).
After checking all the calipers and pads (they're new), bleeding the system, I decided it was a bad master cylinder.
Changed the master cylinder. no effect. Could've been a bad new M/C so I chaned it yet again. no change.
With engine off, the pedal is solid / hard and doesnt drop at all even after constant pressure. Hence I'm assuming there's no air in the system and M/C is good.
As soon as the engine is turned on, the pedal drops almost 5 or so inches. With the engine ON and car running I can get a high pedal if the pedal is pumped. Given I've bled the system thoroughly atleast 8 times by now, bench bled master cylinder as well, could someone kindly tell me what else could be causing this issue ? It does have ABS but the ABS isnt working due to bad ABS sensors. The brakes worked fine for a year even after ABS wasn't working so I'm assuming ABS is not related to this issue... any suggestions would be appreciated.
test1
with koeo
pump break pedal till its rock hard
hold pedal turn on the car on
pedal should sink to floor
test 2
with koer
hold break pedal
turn off car
does the pedal go up or down or nothing
Old 01-02-06, 07:02 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

first test, yes the pedal drops when engine starts.
second test, the pedal stays same if the engine is turned off.
Old 01-02-06, 07:32 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

first test, yes the pedal drops when engine starts.
second test, the pedal stays same if the engine is turned off.
so ur booster is good then

u check for leaks?

have u checked for sized pistons
could u have messed up the adjustments in the new brake booster. that could cause low pedal. as for spongy. u have air in the system or ur m/c is bad
Old 01-03-06, 05:31 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

yes, booster is good. no leaks and pistons are ok as I had them checked by the mechanic.
Old 01-03-06, 08:02 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How are you bleeding the ABS pump? It could be a source of air in the system.
Old 01-03-06, 11:10 AM
Curt
Driver School Candidate

. . . the brake pedal decided to become really spongy and also engages very low (close to the firewall).
This is classic air-in-the-system behavior. I don't know your car, or where the air could be, but I very highly suspect that somewhere in there there is air, and probably a lot of it.
. . . As soon as the engine is turned on, the pedal drops almost 5 or so inches.
Noticeable pedal drop is perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry about that at all. Five inches sounds like a lot, but there will always be some pedal drop if you pump it then start it while holding the brake.

Sorry I don't have any better ideas. This is my two cents worth.
Curt