Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

coolant draining

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-05, 02:00 AM
Lexarse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant draining

hi i was trying to drain the coolant out my v8 today and couldnt find a way to undo the drain plug on the engine is there a easy way to do this.. we tryed a few thigns but not much worked... any help is great thanks
Old 07-18-05, 04:00 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the IUZFE engine, there should be 2 block drain plugs...one on each side of the engine. They are visible from the bottom of the car looking up. I use a long extension and remove the threaded plug. There is a small curved tube that attaches to the fixture where the plug comes from. If you remove the radiator cap prior to lifting the car, the coolant will come out very quickly and drain the entire block. Of course the radiator gets drained from the plug in the bottom of the radiator.

Good luck on this project!
Old 07-18-05, 06:25 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you cant get the draincock on the bottom of the radiator loose, just remove the lower radiator hose
Old 07-19-05, 01:42 AM
Lexarse
Driver School Candidate

i carnt get to the block drain plugs. we were using a exention on a socket and stuff but couldnt get to it is there a easyer way of getting to them

removing the bottom house dosent drain the whole block. we tryed that to.. the houses feel from the top of the engine so dont drain everything. im assuming thats why there is block drains

thanks for the help so far... its always good
Old 07-20-05, 12:32 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexarse
i carnt get to the block drain plugs. we were using a exention on a socket and stuff but couldnt get to it is there a easyer way of getting to them

removing the bottom house dosent drain the whole block. we tryed that to.. the houses feel from the top of the engine so dont drain everything. im assuming thats why there is block drains

thanks for the help so far... its always good
On my LS, i found that removing the right side transmission line bracket and using a 14mm flex socket makes the job easier. Another hint: Attach some 3/8" ID tubing(heat the end in some boiling water first so it slides on easier) to the draincocks and route it into a bucket, it makes the job so much cleaner. Draining from the radiator doesn't do jack on this engine, since the lower radiator hose starts at the thermostat housing which is above the water pump.
Old 07-20-05, 01:54 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BOTH of my drain plugs came out very on my last GS4. I am due to change my timing belt, thermostat, water pump and coolant next week.Maybe I will do a DIY and post pictures.

Make SURE you have a clear and unobstructed view and access to the plug on each side of the lower block. I had my car up at a military hobby shop in San Diego, and I used a LONG extension...kept adding extensions together until I had the desired length, and used a small air ratchet to BUMP the plug loose. After that it was easy to just screw it out.

I was arguing the merits of using air tools with someone on the forum JUST THE OTHER DAY, and I told them that if used properly, an air tool is valuable. Someone told me that they like TORQUING IT off themselves. To each his own, but NOT ME. JUST A BUMP is all it takes IF you have the plug lined up and STRAIGHT. If not, it will round off, and there you are.

WORKED FOR ME!
Old 07-21-05, 01:41 AM
Lexarse
Driver School Candidate

thaks for the help peeps ill give it a go and see what happens.. we were use alot of twisty things seemd to help heaps but we were having troubel turning it it was really tight. probly never undune in its life.. ill give it another go

cheers
Old 07-21-05, 08:27 AM
phillipin
Driver

if you cant get the block plug off soak it in wd40 and try to tighten it just a little tiny bit then try to undo the bolt. If that doesnt work soak it again and gently tap with a hammer then undo it. It should come right off after that.