Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Oil to use in 02 gs430

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-05, 11:14 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil to use in 02 gs430

This has probably been talked about etc alot and I don't want to look through hundreds of post. I was wondering what kind of oil to use in my car. Right now I think it is using regular oil not sure of what weight. I drive like 50-100 miles a day, the temperature is like 70-90 degrees all the time where I am at. I also let the car warm up before I drive. I read an article about race oil vs street oil etc. I came to the conculsion I need like red line oil maybe 10 w 30 or maybe mobile 1 syn. Should I maybe try a synthetic blend oil? Also the car has 75K miles on it. Someone let me know what you suggest and how long should I use the oil 3K miles? or if I drive so much maybe 5K before the oil change? It was just changed 3 weeks ago and I already have 3K miles on it
Old 04-06-05, 05:39 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Dsmart
This has probably been talked about etc alot and I don't want to look through hundreds of post. I was wondering what kind of oil to use in my car. Right now I think it is using regular oil not sure of what weight. I drive like 50-100 miles a day, the temperature is like 70-90 degrees all the time where I am at. I also let the car warm up before I drive. I read an article about race oil vs street oil etc. I came to the conculsion I need like red line oil maybe 10 w 30 or maybe mobile 1 syn. Should I maybe try a synthetic blend oil? Also the car has 75K miles on it. Someone let me know what you suggest and how long should I use the oil 3K miles? or if I drive so much maybe 5K before the oil change? It was just changed 3 weeks ago and I already have 3K miles on it
Use the correct grade of oil that Lexus recommends to use (I'm guessing 5W30 first & them saying it's ok to use 10W30.....however the 5W 30 will be slightly better overall for fuel economy). I'd switch to synthetic if I were you.......I use Amsoil, but use to use Mobil 1......both 5W30 grades. Use a top quality oil filter as well.
Old 04-06-05, 01:46 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

thanks, I know that using a bad oil filter is bad and not going to do that
Old 04-07-05, 06:09 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

with 50-100 miles daily, M1 with a Toyota filter and 10k oil changes, thats what I would do, that what I do
Old 04-07-05, 08:38 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Dsmart
thanks, I know that using a bad oil filter is bad and not going to do that
Mobil 1, K & N or Amsoil are some of the very best filters available.
Old 04-13-05, 04:46 PM
joeydingo
Rookie

Mobil 1 5W30 oil and Mobil 1 oil fliter. Reasonable cost and both get excellent results in the Toyota V8 engines.
Old 04-13-05, 06:26 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buckle up everyone, here we go again. Another oil thread.

Mobil 1 5W-30 and a K&N Gold filter (only cause it has the molded nut in the casing--it makes it so much easier to put on and take off of a 1MZFE). If I wasn't using the K&N, I would be using the Mobil 1 filter.

steviej
Old 04-14-05, 03:01 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Originally Posted by steviej
buckle up everyone, here we go again. Another oil thread.

Mobil 1 5W-30 and a K&N Gold filter (only cause it has the molded nut in the casing--it makes it so much easier to put on and take off of a 1MZFE). If I wasn't using the K&N, I would be using the Mobil 1 filter.

steviej
Not going there this time around.
Old 04-14-05, 11:29 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

I will stay with the 3K 90 days change interval no matter what oil I use.
When an engine is shut off, up to a pint of water condensates in the crankcase, depending on outside temperature and humidity. The detergent package in motor oil is designed to deal with this but it doesn't last forever. The big enemy is short trips. Motor oil takes considerably longer to reach operating temperature than coolant and it has to be over 212 degrees to boil out the water. If you don't put 3K on the car in 90 days, the oil probably isn't reaching operating temperature and the oil can't deal with the contaminants.
Sound like old school? I have disassembled a number of engines, some of which were run 7 to 10K between oil changes. In every case, these engines had sludge build up internally that I found unacceptable. I rebuilt the 350 in my father-in-laws Camaro, He bought the car new, and changed oil every 3K. The engine was spotless inside after 150K, (unfortunately, the GM plastic timing gear let loose).
I think that manufacturers are doing a huge disservice to the unsuspecting public in recommending long oil change intervals.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 04-14-05, 01:38 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Originally Posted by Billh2
I will stay with the 3K 90 days change interval no matter what oil I use.
When an engine is shut off, up to a pint of water condensates in the crankcase, depending on outside temperature and humidity. The detergent package in motor oil is designed to deal with this but it doesn't last forever. The big enemy is short trips. Motor oil takes considerably longer to reach operating temperature than coolant and it has to be over 212 degrees to boil out the water. If you don't put 3K on the car in 90 days, the oil probably isn't reaching operating temperature and the oil can't deal with the contaminants.
Sound like old school? I have disassembled a number of engines, some of which were run 7 to 10K between oil changes. In every case, these engines had sludge build up internally that I found unacceptable. I rebuilt the 350 in my father-in-laws Camaro, He bought the car new, and changed oil every 3K. The engine was spotless inside after 150K, (unfortunately, the GM plastic timing gear let loose).
I think that manufacturers are doing a huge disservice to the unsuspecting public in recommending long oil change intervals.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Not the case with Amsoil ASL 5W 30 synthetic......it's a severe service oil & is built for many of the reasons you mentioned (including short trips)......but overkill if u change it every 3k.......or 90 days If I were you, I'd stick to using dino oil then & save some cash.
Old 04-14-05, 02:04 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Not the case with Amsoil ASL 5W 30 synthetic......it's a severe service oil & is built for many of the reasons you mentioned (including short trips)......but overkill if u change it every 3k.......or 90 days If I were you, I'd stick to using dino oil then & save some cash.
I have never disassembled an engine that was run with Amsoil over long change intervals. I have a hard time believing that the additive package will withstand 10K. I have disassembled engines run with other synthetics, found badly pitted rod bearings in one. "Dino" oil has been around for a long time, and while the synthetics will stand more load, it is capable of protecting a multi thousand horsepower top fuel engine.
If I was worried about saving cash, I certainly wouldn't have bought a Lexus.
Old 04-14-05, 04:11 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by Billh2
I have never disassembled an engine that was run with Amsoil over long change intervals. I have a hard time believing that the additive package will withstand 10K. I have disassembled engines run with other synthetics, found badly pitted rod bearings in one. "Dino" oil has been around for a long time, and while the synthetics will stand more load, it is capable of protecting a multi thousand horsepower top fuel engine.
If I was worried about saving cash, I certainly wouldn't have bought a Lexus.
Did you buy the Lexus new or used? Lexus is a very good value used.

Here you go btw:
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx

and...

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

You need to use the Amsoil oil filter as well to get the full benefit of the longer drain intervals. I personally will not go 1 year or 25,000 miles as Amsoil states. But I will defanately save $$$ by not changing the oil 4+ times a year I get the oil wholesale for cheaper than the cost of Mobil 1 at Walmart or an auto parts store. The filter is about the same as a K & N or Mobil 1 filter (might even be a bit less).

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 04-14-05 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-14-05, 07:45 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Not going there this time around.
ya right!!!

steviej
Old 04-15-05, 03:10 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Originally Posted by steviej
ya right!!!

steviej
Just educating steviej.
Old 04-15-05, 08:18 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Changing the oil is great, but I've seen several vehicles, really tons & Lexus pre-owned LS and GS models with 60-80k on the clock and the previous owners had 3-5k oil changes and new front pads, all the other fluid was OEM, thats proof that the oil industry has brain washed the general public into the oil change crap but what about the rest of the fluids.

Quick Reply: Oil to use in 02 gs430