Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

scratched windshield driving me nuts any ideas how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-05, 05:52 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scratched windshield driving me nuts any ideas how to fix?

I have a 2002 GS with a 5 inch scratch on my windshield. It's not really that deep but you can feel it with you nail and it is only really visiable in the day. I am really desperate to know if they sell any products that will get it out.Now the dealer told me he can have some one come and try to buff it out but what I am worried about is will the buffing make that area look different? Well I have tried scratch x polish and it really did notting. I was just curious if anyone had any other ideas on how to get the scratch out or have had there winsheild buffed before to get scrathes out. It just makes me mad because this is the second windshield on the car and I already have stone marks that I had fixed and now this scratch. I gotta get glass insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks
Old 03-13-05, 05:58 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

unfortunately, i think there is only one product that will take scratches out of glass and its just for scuffs. its an aerospace product i think...

also unfortunate is that its hella expensive, like well over $100 a bottle IIRC.

i dont think any scratch can be buffed out of glass. sorry to bear bad news...but if someone here knows something i dont then by all means step in.
Old 03-13-05, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by purebliss
I have a 2002 GS with a 5 inch scratch on my windshield. It's not really that deep but you can feel it with you nail and it is only really visiable in the day. I am really desperate to know if they sell any products that will get it out.Now the dealer told me he can have some one come and try to buff it out but what I am worried about is will the buffing make that area look different? Well I have tried scratch x polish and it really did notting. I was just curious if anyone had any other ideas on how to get the scratch out or have had there winsheild buffed before to get scrathes out. It just makes me mad because this is the second windshield on the car and I already have stone marks that I had fixed and now this scratch. I gotta get glass insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks
Where is the scratch physically located on the windshield? If it is on the bottom, on the edge, or out of the normal sight areas you can try covering it up with a decal like an American flag or something. I had a rock do a small circular hit and that's what I did...it was near the lower-left corner out of direct sight.
Of course, you don't want to do this in the middle of the windshield or where it can distract you. And if you do this, do it on the INSIDE so the wipers don't interfere.
Old 03-13-05, 07:10 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default to Army

You are probably talking about plastic polish products like Plexus. It's used mainly for aircraft canopy, not for glass windshield. It really gets the grime out. So you can use it for headlights, taillights, etc. if you wish. It's about $9 per can.

Glass shop can usually sand and buff the scratch out.
Old 03-14-05, 12:29 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I feel your pain- my windshield has scratches, too

I don't have direct experience with this, but I've heard that if it can catch your nail, it is too deep to be polished out. Actually, it can be polished, but you'd remove enough glass in the process to turn your windshield into a giant lens and distort the view.
Old 03-14-05, 05:50 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You can try this:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Every Zaino product I have used works great. If you have water repellent glass then don't use it because it will remove the coating. Not sure how bad your scatch is but it might help and is certainly cheaper than a new windshield. Good luck!
Old 03-17-05, 10:55 PM
tech237
Rookie

Bonami ......
Old 03-20-05, 06:00 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could something like this for eyeglasses work? I am getting a lot of small stone spot scratches and some longer scratches already and I might give this a try someday.
http://www.shopcyberworld.com/liquid_lense.html
Old 03-20-05, 08:27 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tech237
Bonami ......
Bon Ami is great for cleaning glass, but it won't polish or remove scratch. Also it can stain clearcoat (happened to my old car) unless you flush it off immediately.
Old 03-20-05, 09:24 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by parula
Could something like this for eyeglasses work? I am getting a lot of small stone spot scratches and some longer scratches already and I might give this a try someday.
http://www.shopcyberworld.com/liquid_lense.html

Thanks for all your applys. I have gone to the Lexus dealer glass guy and he told me if he tryed to buff it out he would remove a layer of glass and it might look all messed up kinda like a lens on glasses. But that eye glass stuff doesn't sound bad. Maybe I can try it in a small corner and see how it dries and then try it on the scratch. Well if they have it on the as seen on tv store at my mall I will buy it and let everyone know how it works. Alright thanks again!
Old 03-20-05, 12:32 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was going to be my approach when I get some, just a l i t t l e bit on the knick or along the scratch - maybe even wiping off the excess slighlty, good luck. Less is best imo, at first.