Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus Master Technician

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-05, 06:47 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
No, some of them want to remain anonymous unless they want to post up (some others are on this thread like tech237). Some 'out of the closet' are former moderators DevilDog, Sooner (I think?). JPI was one (not sure if you can still call yourself one if you leave Lexus).
Once you leave Lexus you can't call yourself a Lexus Master anymore. I was one of them when I was at lexus. I have access to lexus training materials and keep up with all TISB . BTW, I gained 5 pounds after the L005 training . Anyone going to the RX400h training? I know they only select a person per dealership. I'd like to go if i have a chance. Have fun guys.
JPI

Last edited by JPI Racing; 01-08-05 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-08-05, 02:27 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JPI
Once you leave Lexus you can't call yourself a Lexus Master anymore. I was one of them when I was at lexus. I have access to lexus training materials and keep up with all TISB . BTW, I gained 5 pounds after the L005 training . Anyone going to the RX400h training? I know they only select a person per dealership. I'd like to go if i have a chance. Have fun guys.
JPI
JPI, I will go at the end of Jan or the beginning of Feb. The 400h is something else.

In front of the engine you only see the AC compressor with no drive belt at all. The Power Steering rack has 42 volts eletric motor to replace PS pump. The AC compressor has 288 volts AC( 288 volts DC coming in and its invert to AC) to run the AC compressor.

The generator rated at 288 volts DC and invert to 650 volts to drive 3 generators ( MG1, MG2 and MGR). The MG1 use as the starter/generator, the MG2 use in combination the MG1 and transmission to drive the front wheels. The MGR use to drive the rear wheels.

One neat thing about the 400h, when you push the fuel door opener. You will see the message says" Please wait for the fuel door to open". Then you have to wait about 15 seconds for the ECU dump all the gas fume into the Charcoal Canister this way it won't escape to the atmosphere. Then the fuel door will open and you're ready to open the gas cap.

Dave, they're 3 levels of tech at Lexus. The first one is Certified tech who work for Lexus less than 18 months and still need to go through all the trainning.

The second one is Senior, who got at least 4 ASE's and work for Lexus at least 18 months and got all the Lexus trainning classes.

The third one is Master tech, who got all 8 or 9 ASE and work for Lexus at least 36 month and got all the trainning classes.

Some of the tech can work at Lexus forever and don't have all the requirements and that will stop him to go to next level.
Old 01-14-05, 12:04 AM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this might be a little off topic but, i asked my friend if his neighbor( a lexus mechanic) can do side work. he told me that lexus would fire him if he worked on cars outside of lexus. is that true for lexus mechanics?
Old 01-14-05, 09:28 PM
tech237
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they would frown upon you for "stealing away" business from the dealer but.......here in the good 'ol US of A......capitalism is at its finest and what you do on your own time is your business not the dealer's....
Old 01-15-05, 10:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The owner of Luxury Motorworks, ClubLexus Approved Vendor is/was a Lexus Master Tech.
Old 01-18-05, 05:41 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
The owner of Luxury Motorworks, ClubLexus Approved Vendor is/was a Lexus Master Tech.
Steve has been with lexus for a while. You hardly see any lexus tech last that long at the dealership. The most I've seen is 12 yrs and then he went and open his own shop. I have 7 years myself.
JPI
Old 01-18-05, 05:52 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I know a Lexus tech from Bay Ridge Lexus in Brooklyn NY who has his own small side business (just him and maybe 2 employees) where he services foreign vehicles at cheaper rates than at the dealership. He still works in Lexus as far as I know.
Old 01-18-05, 06:07 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusk8
I know a Lexus tech from Bay Ridge Lexus in Brooklyn NY who has his own small side business (just him and maybe 2 employees) where he services foreign vehicles at cheaper rates than at the dealership. He still works in Lexus as far as I know.
If the dealership find out about this, They won't be happy at all.
JPI
Old 01-19-05, 01:02 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JPI
Steve has been with lexus for a while. You hardly see any lexus tech last that long at the dealership. The most I've seen is 12 yrs and then he went and open his own shop. I have 7 years myself.
JPI
there are 2 techs at my shop who have been with lexus since day one, in 89. One is still a master tech, and has been at our dealer since it opened. The other was there the day it opened as a tech, and is now the service manager. Myself, ive only been here for 4 years.
Old 01-19-05, 06:22 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RTCamaroSS
there are 2 techs at my shop who have been with lexus since day one, in 89. One is still a master tech, and has been at our dealer since it opened. The other was there the day it opened as a tech, and is now the service manager. Myself, ive only been here for 4 years.
Very impressive!
JPI
Old 01-19-05, 10:29 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by JPI
JPI
I guess if the dealership loves their mechanics and takes care of them generously, they will stay.
Old 01-19-05, 12:55 PM
LexFather

This is a great read!!
So how does one become a tech for Lexus? You have to have some sort of classes/certification beforehand right?

Whats up to all our Lexus Techs out there! You make us go

Old 01-19-05, 01:00 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This is a great read!!
So how does one become a tech for Lexus? You have to have some sort of classes/certification beforehand right?

Whats up to all our Lexus Techs out there! You make us go
First, you have to be ASE Master certified. 8 ASE's are required, they dont require L1 yet. There is a time requirment of 36 months at a dealer. And during all this time, you have to go to a series of classes, dunno exactly how many there are, 8 or so. And just recently, we now have to take "pre-work" tests online before going to a specific class. So its not all that easy... but then again, its not all that hard either. My dealer just wont send me to school Costs them money...
Old 01-19-05, 02:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RTCamaroSS
First, you have to be ASE Master certified. 8 ASE's are required, they dont require L1 yet. There is a time requirment of 36 months at a dealer. And during all this time, you have to go to a series of classes, dunno exactly how many there are, 8 or so. And just recently, we now have to take "pre-work" tests online before going to a specific class. So its not all that easy... but then again, its not all that hard either. My dealer just wont send me to school Costs them money...
So I would have to be ASE Master certified first, before going to the dealership. Or could someone just go to Lexus and fill out an application to be a service tech and go from there?

Sorry for my ignorance, just asking. VVTi is going to slap me

Old 01-19-05, 03:01 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the Lexus tech at the dealership I work have some expereince with either Toyota or another car manufacturer before we hire them. But sometime we hire the T-Ten program student ( Toyota trainning program) to work with us while they are in school and they get hand on experience.
Those T-Ten student we got or we call them trainnee have to work with the tech who train them. I mean, they will do some easy job with supervise of the tech and the tech has full responsibility of what they do. Those trainnees they go to college and taking regular classes, but their major is automotive tech. So far so good, we got 4 of them that graduated from T-Ten program and now a fulltime Lexus tech.
Its hard for us to get a decent tech that have good experience, good attitude, good driving record. Sometime we got this kind of tech put in an application, but he don't have good driving record or don't pass the drug test or don't pass the background check.

Quick Reply: Lexus Master Technician