Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

60K mile service-necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-04, 01:58 PM
babyduke
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 60K mile service-necessary?

I have a '97 SC300 with 69K miles. Local shop said it needs 60K miles service which includes all kinds of flushing/changes, testings, spark plug, timing belt etc etc which will cost $1700. Is this a fair deal and all necesary?

One trouble I'm experiencing is that when accelerating, it often makes knockinglike noise which I can eliminate by either stepping harder or taking my foot off. Timing belt was changed last year.
Old 07-22-04, 02:18 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: 60K mile service-necessary?

Originally posted by babyduke
I have a '97 SC300 with 69K miles. Local shop said it needs 60K miles service which includes all kinds of flushing/changes, testings, spark plug, timing belt etc etc which will cost $1700. Is this a fair deal and all necesary?

One trouble I'm experiencing is that when accelerating, it often makes knockinglike noise which I can eliminate by either stepping harder or taking my foot off. Timing belt was changed last year.

ok that knocking noise is a concern...however in order to get you going you will need to do 2 two things first review this web site http://www.intellexual.net secondly use that little search bar in the upper left hand corner of the screen...thanks

CEO
Old 07-22-04, 04:34 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by babyduke

$1700??? Wow my 60K service was only $400 something. Sounds like a complete ripoff even for a dealer. When i was shopping around, the highest dealer quote I got was $1200. The lowest was about $700 from a Toyota dealership (same parts, same training).

We didn't do our first 60K until about 120K miles. Why? Well, to be honest, the plugs are good for at least 100K. The timing belt is also good for at least 105K and on Toyota engines, you don't have to worry about crushed valves if your timing belt breaks as the engine is non-intereferance.

What you probably *do* need is to flush your radiator. Use the red Toyota antifreeze. Although there has been much conroversy over whether it's worth the extra $, it's only a little more expensive than the green stuff. Toyota branded OEM replacement parts are really hard to beat for quality, so use their oil filters and fluids.

Also if you have an auto trans, replace your fluid frequently. If you do complete flushes, every 30K miles. If just drain and fills, do it every 15K miles.

Most of the stuff in that $1700 cost are "Inspects and Checks". There are a lot of them as they need to make it look like you're paying for something even though you're not. Most of those insepcts and checks are done while their waiting for things like your oil to to drain and they only really take a few minutes.

The heart of most 60K services is the timing belt. The rest of it takes very little time. We have 191K miles on our '95 SC400 and it's running perfect. I change all my own fluids and do them as frequently as needed. I don't like to do my own timing belts, but can and have. On this particular car, the timing belt has only ever been changed once. We'll probably do it again at about 240K.
Old 07-23-04, 06:05 PM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the coolant and other fluids / lubes are not changed on time using Toyota brand stuff then disasters like this can happen:

"i just found out that i have a bad heater core. lexus dealer quoted me at $2,700 to fix the problem, almost all of which is labor costs. the heater core is tucked away between the engine, transmission and dash board. they said they would have to remove the engine to get to it."
Old 07-24-04, 05:59 AM
pkchin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can DIY, most of the Items, I did myself (excluding timing belt - my 98-es300 90k miles for timing belt change), for under $275 (and only that high since I used synthetic for tranny and oil fluids).

Plugs & OEM wire set ($150)
Oil Filter (OEM) + Oil ($24)
4qts Tranny fluid ($20)
1 pt Super Blue Brake Fluid ($14) brake fluid bleed and flush
OEM Air Filter ($18)
Gas tank gasket ($12?)
PCV valve ($4)
1 Gallon OEM Radiator fluid and 6 qts distilled water for flushing ($25)
1 qt Dex 3 Power steering fluid (Turkey baster method ($3.50)
Wiper refills ($5)

Ok, I'm sure I didn't do all the "checks" since I had an idea of what aI wanted to do, but I would go to a Toyota dealership instead and get the minimum 60k items performed and do what you can yourself (air filter?)
Old 07-26-04, 12:45 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That price is way high. The range I was quoted for my LS was $700-$950 at the dealer. Of course they will suggest other fixes so be prepared to deal with it. Go outisde to a trusted shop and the service will be around $600 or so. Do change those fluids and filters!