Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Decided to Remove my K & N Filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 08:19 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by VSsc400
what else is the added benefit? maybe i'm missing something.
Improved fuel mileage is another one, though some people say they don't see an increase in fuel mileage with the K&N installed.

Originally posted by mburnickas
I am not anti-K&N but I have used a K&N on my Powerstroke diesel and Amsoil. Both caused problems down the road. Major no, but cost me more then the stupid filter. When I have to pay over $90 to fix 2 sensors because of a $35 air filter, say good bye to the air filter. Went back to paper and the sensors performed as they were designed and my elevated levels went back to normal.
Mike, you pretty much voiced upon my recent experiece with K&N. Here's the story...

I had the K&N newly installed 15,000 miles ago in my '01 ES. In the midst of its use, the engine would not start-up at the correct idle (went on like that for several months, and I tried all other means to fix the problem ), and it turned out that my throttle body was dirty, and that also affected my MAF sensor and idle air control valve (both were replaced). All of these items were fixed and taken care of not too long ago, but what I was disappointed to see was my K&N got quite dirty after only 15,000 miles Needless to say, after reading this thread and a couple of other related ones, I decided to go back to my old stock Toyota filter. Now I just hope the throttle body stays clean and my sensors won't go bad again.

I hate to say if K&N is a waste of money for me, but as I say, I was P/O'ed to see the filter did not live up to its functional expectations (though it gave me great mileage). As in everything else in life, we all learn from our mistakes, and I'll make sure not to make the same mistake again
Old 07-01-04, 08:44 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexusk8: i had 2 friends helping me when i went to clean my throttle body... when we opened it up they were like.... "where is the gunk?" and was surprised that it still had the polished look and was awed that a 12+ year old car's throttle body was so clean.... i was surprised too....
Old 07-03-04, 12:41 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So K & N Air Filters improve fuel mileage? Really? Lets all think about this.

When do you check your fuel mileage? At wide open throttle, or at some other throttle position?

If you understand how a spark ignited engine throttles itself, you'll realize that it does so using the restriction created by. . . . "the throttle body," not the restriction (or lack of it) created by the air filter, unless you are at wide open throttle.

So how does a free flow air filter improve fuel mileage? It can't unless the existing filter is so plugged up that is needs replacement anyway!

(from my previous post) Go to step 6! This topic isn't getting old, every engineer who knows how to read an SAE J726 filtration test would consider it as petrified long before Lexus even started making cars!

Some people have good results with K & N because they operate their vehicles in a fairly benign environment, particulate wise. Others who drive in more severe environments generally don't have the same opinion of K & N. Surprise, surprise, surprise! Argue all you want, the facts are all in and the major manufacturers design lab door has bruised the butt of many a K & N Salesman, they still keep trying though. They just choose their battles more carefully. Why not sell K & N air filters one at a time through retail outlets rather than to the industry at 100,000 at a time? Well, you figure it out!

Chumley
Old 07-03-04, 02:29 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

all engines are designed to take the wind and create a vortex with as it enters the cylinders. increased air flow means higher air velocity thus leading to a greater vortex. With a bigger vortex, you are given a better fuel mixture and the air becomes denser. K&N has proven that their filters increase the airflow which creates a bigger vortex and essentially gives you better gas mileage.
Old 07-03-04, 02:32 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by VSsc400
lexusk8: i had 2 friends helping me when i went to clean my throttle body... when we opened it up they were like.... "where is the gunk?" and was surprised that it still had the polished look and was awed that a 12+ year old car's throttle body was so clean.... i was surprised too....
Did you remove the entire throttle body and look at the intake-manifold-side of it? Thats the side that tends to get nasty. If you just removed the air intake line, then you prolly missed most of the crap
Old 07-03-04, 03:25 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Note to self: "W__gie should read less advertising/marketing copy.

Additional note to self: Hummmm! Everytime I clean a throttle body, it's a 1 man (me) operation. I don't recall needing 2 additional consultants/experts/freinds or a website to advise me! (Is that where I screwed up?) It's just humor with a message guys. Please don't take offense!

Chumley
Old 07-04-04, 12:45 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its nothing marketing or advertising related.

oh and my sources: Matthew Spitzer ASE Master certified instructor and Dan Shockey - pro drag racer 6 second vette.

Have a nice day
Old 07-09-04, 12:31 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
Did you remove the entire throttle body and look at the intake-manifold-side of it? Thats the side that tends to get nasty. If you just removed the air intake line, then you prolly missed most of the crap
damn... i only opened up the intake side... not the manifold side..

i'll check again.

Chumley:

Giving birth = a one person operation (but it's nice to have people around)

Changing the rearend on my SC4: one man operation but it's good to have people around

finding humor in saying things that you know other may take offence: one man operation but it's nice to have people to laugh with.

don't take it to heart. It's just internet humor.
Old 07-09-04, 01:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Most of us realize that increased air flow can be beneficial...what the focus is is the increased airflow relative to the amount of partculate matter that passes through a "high flow" air filter such as the K&N.

As Chumley stated, it is relative to your driving area and how much partculate matter your filter has to filter.
Exposure...if you have conditions where the air is clean, this may not ever be an issue. Driving trough the desert or other highly dusty areas may be a whole other situation. Cost is not an issue, an engine rebuild far exceeds saving $30 every 30K miles for an airfilter.

As they say, YMMV
Old 07-09-04, 11:13 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Woogie
all engines are designed to take the wind and create a vortex with as it enters the cylinders. increased air flow means higher air velocity thus leading to a greater vortex. With a bigger vortex, you are given a better fuel mixture and the air becomes denser. K&N has proven that their filters increase the airflow which creates a bigger vortex and essentially gives you better gas mileage.
Vortex? Vortex? As soon as the air travel pass the valves that open and close thousands time a minute, it won't have vortex no more. Don't believe those late night infomercials.

The latest giggle is a Korean guy who claims to be a Hyundai engineer. He invented this food-processor blade like stuff called "Tornado" that you put into your air intake pipe. Supposely it will create a vortex force and give the engine more power and better gas mileage. And they have the dyno to prove it!

I was ROTFLMAO. I also wondered why Hyundai didn't use his idea.

Don't get me started on that "atomic gas magnet" that you attach to the fuel line and it breaks up fuel atoms with supernatural magnetic force..... oh, how about that zMax liquid that can *penetrate" metals to lube the engine!

I love America and the First Amendment.
Old 07-10-04, 08:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I have switched back to the Toyota filter for a test, but only after cleaning out the engine with some molly and switched to a 5W-30 Mobil 1. Change Tire pressure to about 33 and runs fine, but on hot days, engine still seems choked for air unlike with K&N.

I am wondering if anyone had any experience here with installing a Dragon Intake from Weapon-R and/or their cold air box, as I was considering doing the same with my 99 RX.
Old 07-10-04, 03:16 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Chumley:

Giving birth = a one person operation (but it's nice to have people around)

Changing the rearend on my SC4: one man operation but it's good to have people around

finding humor in saying things that you know other may take offence: one man operation but it's nice to have people to laugh with.

don't take it to heart. It's just internet humor.
...............................................................................................

I couldn't agree more.

The reason for giving birth, in humans, at least a two person operation. The one who gives birth normally appreciates that the other(s) who helped cause the condition is/are around to witness/help out with the results.

What does that have to do with cleaning a throttle body? If you did some things on your own that caused your throttle body to get dirty, and have several freinds who want to hang around and "help" you resolve the situation, more power to ya! When I hang out with my "friends," we have better things to do!

Jeeze guy. My advice to you: Watch, network TV more often. They never say anyting to offend anyone. If by accident they do, either someone is getting fired, or the apologies stream. Of course, you can't learn to fix you Lexus on network TV and/or probably not here either!

Chumley