Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Where to get oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 03:10 PM
PeteLS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get oil change?

First off, I'm more than mechanically inclined so I'm not asking because I dont know how

I'm in the middle of houses right now and have all my tools in storage and really no place to do it at.
So I'm just wondering if theres a special oil filter that I'll get going to the dealer or something magical that keeps these engines running ?

My local Lexus dealer charges $39 w/tax for a change, do they use synthetic? Am I better off going elsewhere?

Just wondering since this is my first Lexus and want to keep up the great maintanance the last owner did.

Need to know by tonight cause I need it changed tommorow.

Thanks
Old 06-03-04, 03:14 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Pete,

The dealer in my area does not use synthetic, but I use them for oil changes and take a case of Mobil One with me. I'm not especially cost conscious, however, and there are lots of places to get it done cheaper (including DIY).

Why don't you get it changed at the dealer this first time and see how it goes / what Lexus service is all about. Then make a decision for your next oil change.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-03-04 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 09:12 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Do you have a good independent mechanic?? I take my car to one that's a third less per hour for labour but charges me $20 & I bring my own oil (Mobil 1 synthetic & a Mobil 1 or K & N oil filter). That price you mentioned at the Lexus dealer sounds rather high unless they use synthetic.
Old 06-05-04, 06:10 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should change the oil yourself, because some places do a really bad job, or don't know what they are doing. I took my sc400 in for a oil change at this one place and now my car is leaking oil. My rear main seal broked/damaged and the repair cost that Lexus quoted me was around near $900
It turned out the guy put like 6 quarts in my engine which built too much pressure and damaged the seal. If it's a more difficult task like changing the t-belt, water pump, etc., then I would take to a reliable shop or the stealership.
Otherwise, I'll do the job myself!!
Old 06-05-04, 06:18 AM
PeteLS400
Driver School Candidate

Well, I ended up going to the dealer.

$32 out the door, I was misquoted over the phone.

GREAT service, lots of munchies and drinks in the lounge, car got washed and tires got dressed.

I'll be going back there, not even worth getting dirty and crawling underneath the car to save a couple bucks.

Last edited by PeteLS400; 06-05-04 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-05-04, 09:12 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Just check the oil and filter before you drive off. My Lexus dealer in Atlanta "Hennesy Lexus" on a 90K mile service for my wifes ES300 forgot to fill the engine back up with oil after the change. Per the Dealer here is what happend "The yard jocky came up and asked the machanic if he was done, the machanic looked at him and said yes the yard jocky slammed the hood and took it to the wash, dried it off and then brought it up front". Then I got in and drove off the lot and lucky for me (or unlucky for me) noticed the oil light. drove around the block and back into the service area and popped the hood. There set a wrench and when the service manager checked the oil none showed on the dip stick. They claimed that it did not hurt the engine and gave me the 90K miles service for free and a personnal warranty on the engine until 120K miles, (I felt that was OK at the time). At 130K miles it started using a quart of oil every 2K miles and smoking on startup in the morning for the first several minutes so I traded it. The problem with Lexus is they have the mechanic's do the oil changes and they can get distracted with other work. I like Toyota's method, because they have one guy setup to only do oil and filter changes. As we all know it does not take a genius to do oil and filter changes but if you do it over and over again with the idea that if you do a good job with no complaints or problems you get promoted to a better job, I think you get better results. If this ever happened again and I did not check before I drove off, I would keep on driving until the engine stopped so they could just replace the engine. I ended up getting screwed, since I had taken great care of that ES300 and only got 130K miles out of it.

CHECK YOUR OIL BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP!!! If you can watch them change it.
Old 06-05-04, 12:03 PM
PeteLS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by PitBull
Just check the oil and filter before you drive off. My Lexus dealer in Atlanta "Hennesy Lexus" on a 90K mile service for my wifes ES300 forgot to fill the engine back up with oil after the change. Per the Dealer here is what happend "The yard jocky came up and asked the machanic if he was done, the machanic looked at him and said yes the yard jocky slammed the hood and took it to the wash, dried it off and then brought it up front". Then I got in and drove off the lot and lucky for me (or unlucky for me) noticed the oil light. drove around the block and back into the service area and popped the hood. There set a wrench and when the service manager checked the oil none showed on the dip stick. They claimed that it did not hurt the engine and gave me the 90K miles service for free and a personnal warranty on the engine until 120K miles, (I felt that was OK at the time). At 130K miles it started using a quart of oil every 2K miles and smoking on startup in the morning for the first several minutes so I traded it. The problem with Lexus is they have the mechanic's do the oil changes and they can get distracted with other work. I like Toyota's method, because they have one guy setup to only do oil and filter changes. As we all know it does not take a genius to do oil and filter changes but if you do it over and over again with the idea that if you do a good job with no complaints or problems you get promoted to a better job, I think you get better results. If this ever happened again and I did not check before I drove off, I would keep on driving until the engine stopped so they could just replace the engine. I ended up getting screwed, since I had taken great care of that ES300 and only got 130K miles out of it.

CHECK YOUR OIL BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP!!! If you can watch them change it.
Couldnt that happen anywhere??

My friend was changing his oil and forgot to put the drain plug back in, didnt realize till he poured in 4 quarts and noticed a huge puddle under his car. We're all human and make mistakes. So youre better off saying "check your oil before leaving ANY shop".
Old 06-05-04, 02:38 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Pete you are right. I guess what I'm trying to say is if it happened at a Lexus dealer it could happen anywhere. Now I do feel that Lexus having a machanic do the oil change is a waste of talent. Plus I was trying to indicate at the Toyota dealer they have one guy that just does Oil/Filter/lube and he should be better at it and he has a reason to do a good job because if he does he will be promoted in the service department. Now the quick lubes have people that do the same thing all of the time and I like the way they have a double check system where the supervisor checks the oil and filter before a car in OK'ed. But I would reather have the dealership do the work while under warranty and I will do it when the warranty is up. JMHO
Old 06-05-04, 07:29 PM
hudoff
Driver School Candidate

I use a Local Jiffy Lube. I also specify Mobil 1 synthetic oil which comes in one quart cans. I watch them carefully and I have never had a problem. I also specify that they never touch the air filter as they always bring it into the waiting room and ask of they can change it. It is never near the change cycle time though and I don't want them to disturb the seal.
My two cents worth.
Old 06-08-04, 10:35 PM
Mykotse
Driver School Candidate

I've heard too many horror stories about oil change screw-ups whether done by a dealer or your local quick oil change shop. I buy the orig oil filters at the dealer whenever I have coupons, then I go to Walmart and buy the same oil/viscosity all the time. I don't like changing brands. Takes me 30 mins to change my oild. At night I drain the oil and leave it draining overnight. The next morning, I take out the filter, put the plug back and fill it with oil. I know it's done right all the time, i.e., filter, oil level, oil brand, and correct torque. If anyone tells you that they forgot to put oil and they said it won't damage your engine, don't believe a word they're saying!
Old 06-08-04, 11:04 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My sister-in-law had her old Pontiac Tempist (no big loss actually lol) fall off her machanics hoist!! They made it right with her in the end but if that happened to my Lexus.......well let's just say I'd probobly be in prison right now because of it lmao.