Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

which brand of coolant??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-04, 07:40 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
I have the Toyota coolant here. (No I didn't buy it. Lexus gave it to me for free because my coolant level kept going down after the 30K service.)

Here are the ingredients:
Ethylene Glycol
Diethylene Glycol
Water
Organic Acid Salt
Hydrated Inorganic Salt

In another section, it claims that it does not contain silicates nor borates.

Anyone with the green Prestone please post the ingredients. Thanks.
What regular Zerex has, off the top of my head:
Ethylene glycol
Diethylene glycol
Silcone defoamer
Sodium silicate
Old 06-02-04, 07:57 PM
TxLexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like theres always gonna be 2 camps to every subject.

I ll be in camp 3 all by myself. LOL

By the way Saber been correcting me, I am starting to think my motor is mistreated by using cheaper product. And somehow I got lucky and been having a trouble free car all these years. Oh well, Guess I been lucky for the last 15 years and four lucky 4 cars LOL

BTW SABER you work for Toyota? They paying something we dont know about?
Old 06-03-04, 12:12 AM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by ELP_JC
There's nothing special about a Toyota engine and radiator gentlemen; they're made of the same materials than any other modern engine. [/B]
Well Toyota would certainly be interested in hiring you as an engineer if you could teach them how they could continue making their engines and other components twice as reliable and durable as most other cars on the market http://www.saber.net/~monarch/650.jpg http://www.saber.net/~monarch/gauge.jpg without actually using superior quality materials, designs and standards of workmanship. Of course, you can't do that. No one could.
Old 06-03-04, 04:05 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

As I have posted before, Lexes Corp has sent me an email stating that in my 98 any antifreeze (EG-based) can be used. I use no silicate antifeezes since, so far no one can prove Toyota coolant is any better then anyother no/low siliate antifreeze. As per there email there antifreeze is nothing special. The red is only dye in the coolant, so color means nothing. Just must be EG coolant.

People can tell me yes Toyota is beeter; however, if it was why does Lexus give me the option saying it is ok to use others?

Last edited by mburnickas; 06-03-04 at 04:12 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 09:15 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

You can now get what Toyota calls "Super" Long life engine coolant which is pink in colour as opposed to the red "long life" which they shouldn't call it that in my opinion as it's only good for 2 years anyways. The pink stuff however is suppose to last much longer so something to consider at least.
Old 06-04-04, 07:17 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

So what happens why Toyota comes out with super duper. Super size Super long life!

It is a play on words. Also what is this new coolant? Is it normal EG coolant?????Can it be used Globally in all Lexus?
Old 06-04-04, 09:10 AM
TxLexus
Driver

I see this coming, Give toyota a few more years.

This is my theory.

The Toyota marketing dept will sit around and think of something new for there lifelong toyota owners.
Then an engineer would suggest, Lets make the Coolant a darker red and call it LIFETIME COOLANT, NEVER NEED TO CHANGE.
Price at 49.95.

LOLOL I need to work for toyota marketing dept. I could make them wealthier, I do deserve a fat bonus check.

Have a good one gang
Old 06-04-04, 11:01 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

In most instances you are going to change the thermostat out every 2 years or year depending on your driving conditions. If so, it is minimal how long life the coolant will be as in most cases you'll get it drained and replaced in the service. If you DIY, then you can top off. If you believe in the long life and that the thermostat is going to go the 5 years, it is quite a gamble to save $35 in parts/fluid.

Ironically, we debate oil longevity and changing it every 3K-5K yet with coolant which is equally important we are looking for long life?

Old 06-04-04, 11:28 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Apples and Oranges

Not to be argumentative, but we change oil because it gets dirty, and we change coolant because its anti-corrosion and water-pump lubricating abilities diminish over time. Two very different schedules.

And I can't be the only one that has never changed out my thermostat, nor have I ever seen that change recommended as part of any maintenance procedure.
Old 06-04-04, 11:52 AM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by mburnickas
so far no one can prove Toyota coolant is any better then anyother no/low siliate antifreeze.
Besides Toyota Red Long Life Coolant, the only other 100% silicate free antifreezes on
the market are the Dexcool anitfreezes like Havoline extended life coolant. Unlike
Toyota Red, the Dexcool anitfreezes can cause a serious buildup of sludge in the cooling
system if air gets into the system past a weak radiator cap or poorly sealed coolant overflow jar: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/deathcool.jpg . GM even made a video to help service technicians deal with the problem: http://www.saber.net/~monarch/deathcoolVideo.jpg Here are some owner
testimonials about the problems with Dexcool antifreezes which on some GM vehicles, have included water pump problems and short lived intake manifold gaskets:
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/dexcool3.jpg
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/deathcool3.jpg
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/deathcool1.jpg

So as usual, using aftermarket parts, fluids, lubes and filters is risky.
Old 06-04-04, 12:34 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I'll leave the maintence to you guys to enjoy discussing. I have no desire to debate these points and granted we'll treat each of our cars the way we see fit.
Old 06-04-04, 02:16 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Ok, why is this such a big discussion? When I flushed my coolant (lots of fun ), I thought only of choosing the Genuine Toyota Coolant, why not?? If there is the smallest chance of a non-factory fluid performing not as well as factory, then why would I go with it? Its not a matter of price: Toyota coolant: $13, non-Toyota coolant: $10. Why not go with Toyota.
Old 06-04-04, 02:45 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Apples and Oranges

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
And I can't be the only one that has never changed out my thermostat, nor have I ever seen that change recommended as part of any maintenance procedure.
I've never changed out my thermostat either, even though I've changed the radiator and timing belt previously. My thermo seems to be just fine (knock on wood) but I will get around to changing it one of these days I guess.

Aerostar, I agree with you. I have Dexcool in my car now but will be changing it out this weekend ONLY because Cabe Toyota here in LB is having a coolant sale ($10 a jug) so I figure now's a good time to switch. But a lot of people on here are penny pinchers and that extra $3 a jug bugs them, being as they see no direct benefit from spending the extra money they opt for the slightly cheaper stuff, go figure.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 06-04-04 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-04-04, 03:51 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
Ok, why is this such a big discussion? When I flushed my coolant (lots of fun ), I thought only of choosing the Genuine Toyota Coolant, why not?? If there is the smallest chance of a non-factory fluid performing not as well as factory, then why would I go with it? Its not a matter of price: Toyota coolant: $13, non-Toyota coolant: $10. Why not go with Toyota.
Well alot of Toyota owners figure the factory original fluids, filters and lubes are mediocre quality products that are intended to maxmimize profits for Toyota, but are only minimally good for the car. Plus Toyota owners are bombarded with advertizing from aftermarket products that claim, either directly or subliminally, to be as good or better than OEM and less costly. To add insult to injury, some Toyota / Lexus dealers themselves cut corners by using cheap $3.00 a gallon aftermarket antifreezes when they service their customers cars! So owners figure if dealers use aftermarket antifreeze, it must be as good or better than the genuine Toyota stuff.

For all these reasons, many owners wrongly conclude the $3-6.00 per gallon higher cost of genuine Toyota antifreeze is just extra profit for the dealers' parts departments or that it's really just the same product as ordinary green antifreeze, but dyed Red to fool the public into thinking it's special.
Old 06-04-04, 03:54 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by saber
Well alot of Toyota owners figure the factory original fluids, filters and lubes are mediocre quality products that are intended to maxmimize profits for Toyota, but are only minimally good for the car. Plus Toyota owners are bombarded with advertizing from aftermarket products that claim, either directly or subliminally, to be as good or better than OEM and less costly. To add insult to injury, some Toyota / Lexus dealers themselves cut corners by using cheap $3.00 a gallon aftermarket antifreezes when they service their customers cars! So owners figure if dealers use aftermarket antifreeze, it must be as good or better than the genuine Toyota stuff.

For all these reasons, many owners wrongly conclude the $3-6.00 per gallon higher cost of genuine Toyota antifreeze is just extra profit for the dealers' parts departments or that it's really just the same product as ordinary green antifreeze, but dyed Red to fool the public into thinking it's special.
My local Toyota dealer does use regular Prestone for servicing older cars, so does the Nissan dealer next door.

Quick Reply: which brand of coolant??