Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Spark plug replacement recommendation on all Lexus models.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-04, 04:15 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally posted by MeehSoFly
I KNOW HUH....THEY ALWAYS FORGET ABOUT US....HEHE
and the ES250?? LOL.
Old 11-24-04, 10:24 PM
Ismet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 es300 plugs

hello everyone i changed the plugs in my 96 es and after i changed them my engine shakes a bit it didnt do that before what did i do wrong
Old 12-02-04, 06:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

you may have a bad plug, or the wires on in the wrong order...
Old 12-11-04, 01:03 PM
saber
Pole Position

Default Re: 96 es300 plugs

Originally posted by Ismet
hello everyone i changed the plugs in my 96 es and after i changed them my engine shakes a bit it didnt do that before what did i do wrong
This commonly happens to inexperience do-it-yourselfers. They may use cheap quality spark plug sockets which aren't deep enough, they may not use factory original plugs, they may not screw the new plugs in by hand, they may not use a torque wrench for the final tightening, they may use aftermarket plug wires or not fit the factory wire on the new plugs properly.

So go back and replace them all again using much more care. Use the exact DENSO or NGK plugs listed in your owners manual instead of imitations or substitutions. Changing spark plugs is serious business.
Old 01-13-05, 10:44 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I have the latest 2005 NGK spark plug catalogue with ALL cross reference numbers to the most popular spark plugs available. Should anybody need part numbers for Platinum OR Iridium, PM me & I'll be happy to provide assistance.
Old 01-13-05, 03:15 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
I have the latest 2005 NGK spark plug catalogue with ALL cross reference numbers to the most popular spark plugs available. Should anybody need part numbers for Platinum OR Iridium, PM me & I'll be happy to provide assistance.
Thanks, that's great.
Old 01-14-05, 07:23 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by PitBull
Thanks, that's great.
Happy to help.
Old 02-25-05, 09:37 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: spark plug replacement

The service manager at Sewell Lexus in Dallas told me to not even think about changing the plugs before 120,000 miles unless I started having problems with them.
Old 02-25-05, 10:36 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gcrim21
The service manager at Sewell Lexus in Dallas told me to not even think about changing the plugs before 120,000 miles unless I started having problems with them.
Well changing spark plugs every 120,000 miles is like changing the engine oil every 7,500 miles; i.e. yes you can get away with it if you plan to sell the car after it has reached 120-150,000 miles, BUT, if you want your car to continue to be troublefree and durable long past 120-150,000 miles then you must shorten the preventive maintenance service intervals for just about everything.

Example: Changing spark plugs every 60-90,000 miles and engine oil every 3000-5000 miles helps minimize engine wear and maintain optimum fuel economy which in turn extends the life expectancy of all the complicated and expensive emission and ignition system components far beyond 150,000 miles.

Owners who extend preventive maintenance service intervals way out to the limit commonly end up with a car at around 150,000 miles that frequently needs all kinds of expensive things replaced and such owners may end up deciding the car is not worth keeping because of all the cost and hassel to replace all the things that keep going wrong.
Old 02-25-05, 11:23 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't agree that changing spark plugs every 120,000 miles is like changing the engine oil every 7,500 miles. They have such different roles in the engine that their effect, in a worn state, on an engine is different as well.

A key point in gcrim21's service manager quote is "not...changing the plugs before 120,000 miles unless I started having problems with them ". If your engine is running rough or fuel economy is suffering, of course the plugs and other ignition and fuel components should be looked at and/or changed.

But I am not aware of any emission or ignition system components, on a well-running 90K engine w/original plugs, that would be deteriorating at an accelerated rate just because the plugs have not yet been replaced.
Old 02-26-05, 12:17 AM
saber
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
I am not aware of any emission or ignition system components, on a well-running 90K engine w/original plugs, that would be deteriorating at an accelerated rate just because the plugs have not yet been replaced.
Perry, you probably know there are a bunch of 400,000 - 650,000 mile Toyota / Lexus owners out there. Are you also aware a number of these same owners havn't needed to replace their engines, catalytic converters, EGR valves, various sensors (except oxygen sensors) distributors, ignition coils, igniters and the like? If not, well it's true. But getting such exceptional life out of all these components is impossible following the minimum frequency preventive maintenance service intervals listed in the owners manual . Instead, to get that kind of exceptional life out of all these components the replacement intervals of the lubes, filters, fluids and parts subject to incremental deterioration with use such as spark plugs, plug wires and distributor caps / rotors, oxygen sensors, etc. must be considerably shortened. In addition, some parts subject to accumulating crud over time like the throttle plate and idle air control valve must be manually scrubbed clean.

In this way like new levels of engine performance, fuel economy and exhaust emissions. are maintained for many hundreds of thousands of miles. Electrical loads on the spark generating componets of the ignition system are kept at minimal levels which prolongs their life. The load of unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust stream is also kept at minimal levels which prolongs emmission system component life.

Of course, like I said before this is all irrevalent to the owner who plans to sell or trade their car
at or before 150,000 miles.
Old 07-08-05, 10:51 AM
lenchpound
Driver School Candidate

Default misfire on cylinder 1& 2

i need to know what the firining order is for my 99' rx 300 is, got it diagnosed and it read, misfire on cylinder 1& 2. i want to change the spark plugs on those two but don't really know what the order is. some body help please!
Old 07-08-05, 12:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusk8
the new ones are the Denso Iridium IK-20 plugs ($13 per plug at Autozone).
I hope you are aware that the Denso Iridium "Hi Power" IK20 plugs you bought will not last as long as the factory Denso/Toyota OEM Iridium SK20 plugs. Expect 30k for those plugs before you have to replace them again.
Old 07-11-05, 07:47 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I hope you are aware that the Denso Iridium "Hi Power" IK20 plugs you bought will not last as long as the factory Denso/Toyota OEM Iridium SK20 plugs. Expect 30k for those plugs before you have to replace them again.
Flip, where is the source of your info?
Old 07-27-05, 12:18 PM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

Default DIY spark plugs and wiring

Can someone post the DIY on how to change your spark plugs and ignition wiring on a 95 Lex ES300 as well as recommending a good type(brand) of spark plugs and wiring to use!
THanks

Quick Reply: Spark plug replacement recommendation on all Lexus models.