A few Questions - 2nd Gen Sequoia to 3rd Gen Lexus LX570

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 05:32 AM
migalo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Questions - 2nd Gen Sequoia to 3rd Gen Lexus LX570

Hey gang,

Thanks in advance for the help. Finalizing the deal for a 2014 LX570 and have a few concerns. My main concern is with the cargo space considering the seats don't fold away. My kids play travel sports so of course lots of road trips and sometimes lots of gear. Specifically the pop up tents, I'm wondering if those fit in the back without having to slide the 2nd row seats up. Right now we can store a ton of crap in the back of the Sequoia but understand we would be sacrificing some of that in the 570. Second thing is towing, i've done my research and not that concerned about pulling the boat, but interested in how much of a pain in the *** it is to pop on and off the trailer hitch cover as the vehicle looks pretty ugly with it off.

Old 08-21-18, 07:07 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by migalo
Hey gang,

Thanks in advance for the help. Finalizing the deal for a 2014 LX570 and have a few concerns. My main concern is with the cargo space considering the seats don't fold away. My kids play travel sports so of course lots of road trips and sometimes lots of gear. Specifically the pop up tents, I'm wondering if those fit in the back without having to slide the 2nd row seats up. Right now we can store a ton of crap in the back of the Sequoia but understand we would be sacrificing some of that in the 570. Second thing is towing, i've done my research and not that concerned about pulling the boat, but interested in how much of a pain in the *** it is to pop on and off the trailer hitch cover as the vehicle looks pretty ugly with it off.
I removed the 3rd row seats the day after I bought my 200 series...kids are all grown. Not much room in the back when rear seats are folded down, a little bit more when they're folded up, but a lot of room when the seats are removed.

The hitch cover has a single plastic fastener on the bottom center...you can use a fingernail or a small flat screwdriver to pull the center of the plastic fastener out and simply lift the cover up from the bottom and remove. Your truck should come with a 7-pin trailer harness, normally it's stored in the back of the left 3rd row seat.

hth and enjoy your LX.

Steve
Old 08-21-18, 02:03 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

You will miss Sequoia cargo space. It's huge in Sequoia. It's comparable to much bigger (outside) Suburban as Sequoia has an independent rear suspension so the rear axle takes much less space inside. I had Sequoia for many years and I still keep it. It's a great SUV.
O.K., I strongly prefer my LX because of the ride quality and offroad abilities. But the cargo space is incomparable. Sometimes, It's so nice to throw all the stuff inside and not to spend time trying to figure out how to fit it into LX.
Old 08-22-18, 04:19 AM
migalo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, that is partially my concern, going to go check one out closely as the one I'm interested in is out of state. From the research I've done looks like I'll be sacrificing almost 1/3 of the cargo space my current sequoia has. Going from around 120 cu.ft. to approx. 80 cu. ft. I'm mainly interested in the LX as Clayton mentioned for the ride quality on our road trips and looking to do some offroading and camping in harder to reach areas. Maybe it'll make me limit the crap I bring.
Old 08-22-18, 08:36 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Thanks guys, that is partially my concern, going to go check one out closely as the one I'm interested in is out of state. From the research I've done looks like I'll be sacrificing almost 1/3 of the cargo space my current sequoia has. Going from around 120 cu.ft. to approx. 80 cu. ft. I'm mainly interested in the LX as Clayton mentioned for the ride quality on our road trips and looking to do some offroading and camping in harder to reach areas. Maybe it'll make me limit the crap I bring.
I spent 10 years with GM Suburbans prior to getting the LX and then the Land Cruiser...I could get another Dad and 3 scouts with tons of stuff very comfortably to Philmont. Definitely lost space with the LX and LC. Not a major deal as kids are all out of the house and we've got enough room for a week in the boondocks.

We also benefit from not needing a new transmission and / or God knows what around 100K.
Old 08-22-18, 09:37 AM
migalo
Driver School Candidate

Just got back from test drive, nice driving SUV, maybe a little sloppy feeling but adjusting the suspension to normal and sport fixed that. Definitely a quiet and very smooth ride. Fit and finish was very nice, much nicer than the Infiniti. Cargo space and seat clearance sucked, in the second row my knees were close to rubbing, in my Sequoia I have almost a foot in front. Getting in and out of the third row was a challenge at best but actually not too bad once you were back there. Normally I wouldn't care since I do the driving, but I do take around a full load of people on multiple hour road trips (travel sports). I'm with Hankinid, I actually really like everything about the Suburban / Yukon / Tahoe except for reliability and resale value since I tend to hang on to my vehicles for 5 years plus or 250k miles. I got some thinking to do!
Old 08-22-18, 10:45 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

What about a Sequoia Platinum trim? I have never driven one, but owners claim the suspension on the Platinum is better than the other Sequoia trim levels. On the Platinum only you can adjust between comfort, sport or normal (I think).

No doubt the LX is smaller than the LX. Even the 3rd row in the Sequoia is ok for most adults. LX is nicer for fit and finish. Good luck with whatever you decide. 👍
Old 08-22-18, 10:54 AM
migalo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mbarron37
What about a Sequoia Platinum trim? I have never driven one, but owners claim the suspension on the Platinum is better than the other Sequoia trim levels. On the Platinum only you can adjust between comfort, sport or normal (I think).

No doubt the LX is smaller than the LX. Even the 3rd row in the Sequoia is ok for most adults. LX is nicer for fit and finish. Good luck with whatever you decide. 👍
Agreed, thats what it looks like I'm going to be turning my attention too. As much as I looked forward to the capabilities of an LX, I'm not sure its the best fit right now. Maybe after the kids graduate. You are right, the platinum does have the adjustable air suspension. My current Gen2 Sequoia is a Limited and doesn't have that. Thanks for the continued info.
Old 08-24-18, 12:30 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like the LX would fit you and your kids if more room is needed I’d have the other parents called her own kids and drive their own vehicle I think it’s interesting that this generation of parents let their children dictate and control their life I was raised by World War II parents I never saw a World War II era parents coddle their children I guess some did? My dad or I would never make a Vehicle purchase decision based on Hauling somebody else’s kids around 😩
Old 08-24-18, 02:17 PM
migalo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Max707
Sounds like the LX would fit you and your kids if more room is needed I’d have the other parents called her own kids and drive their own vehicle I think it’s interesting that this generation of parents let their children dictate and control their life I was raised by World War II parents I never saw a World War II era parents coddle their children I guess some did? My dad or I would never make a Vehicle purchase decision based on Hauling somebody else’s kids around 😩
You sound like a cranky old man! I try to take my parents and not other kids with us to the tournaments as they enjoy it, they are 85 and 83. My kids are getting too big for the 3rd row so its something that would dictate vehicle choice. I totally understand your point about coddling, half my kids friends can't wipe their own ***. My goal is to make my kids as independent and self reliant as possible. Now get off my lawn!
Old 08-24-18, 05:18 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

You sound like a cranky old man! I try to take my parents and not other kids with us to the tournaments as they enjoy it, they are 85 and 83. My kids are getting too big for the 3rd row so its something that would dictate vehicle choice. I totally understand your point about coddling, half my kids friends can't wipe their own ***. My goal is to make my kids as independent and self reliant as possible. Now get off my lawn!
Sounds like you’re making a choice based on the right reasons sorry you won’t be able to joy the LX. By the way I’m a cranky old Marine and your lawn needs to be mowed and your bushes need to be trimmed 😳
Old 08-28-18, 03:44 PM
migalo
Driver School Candidate

Update......agreed on a used LX. I fly out Thursday to pick it up. Will keep posted.
Old 08-28-18, 04:36 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Update......agreed on a used LX. I fly out Thursday to pick it up. Will keep posted.
you won’t be sorry 👍