LX 570 not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 08:54 AM
Anjum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LX 570 not Starting

I have a LX 570 - 2012 mode
My car did not open with the keyless card so I had to bring the key out from the keyless card and open the door. I tried to start the car but it wouldnt stat so I touched the push button with the keyless card and it started. Next day it wouldnt open with remote or start. I have changed the remote battery but still is not resonding. I need help please!
Old 08-08-18, 11:50 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

At first I thought maybe your "car battery" is too weak to start the LX? THEN you mentioned that the LX finally started.

THEN YOU MENTIONED THE LX WOULD NOT START THE NEXT DAY!!! Even after you changed the remote key fob with a new battery!!!

This leads me to believe that I really think your "12 volt car battery" needs replacing. Especially if it's the original from 2012. It's about time (maybe over due).

It is "easiest" to just go to a Lexus dealership and get the OEM Panasonic battery which is top notch. But IT WILL COST YOU!! Sometimes the dealership will give you a break if you are a royal customer???

Or you can have AAA come to you and do it (if you have AAA). AAA will give you an exact quote on the phone. If you don't have AAA, call them and see what special pricing they can give you for "new customers" for joining TODAY!!

I have AAA (Premier plan where they will tow at no charge for 100 miles including RV's and motorcycles). The regular AAA is towing for like 3 miles at no charge, if I remembered right.

I had my battery changed out in my LX570 with AAA and it was ALMOST painless. The price was very reasonable (more or less competitive with WalMart, PepBoys, Sears and etc..... And AAA came to me!!!). Plus AAA national warranty!!!

Originally Posted by Anjum
I have a LX 570 - 2012 mode
My car did not open with the keyless card so I had to bring the key out from the keyless card and open the door. I tried to start the car but it wouldnt stat so I touched the push button with the keyless card and it started. Next day it wouldnt open with remote or start. I have changed the remote battery but still is not resonding. I need help please!
Old 08-11-18, 11:13 AM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

My wife and I have owned 5 Lexus vehicles. Our 2 latest are both 2013s and the LX battery died almost at the 5 year mark. The second gen LX it replaced also got 4-5 years of battery life. The last three had Panasonic batteries, which I replaced myself. The original Panasonic label batteries were wet cell batteries and all were hidden under the plastic engine shrouds that are the industry standard these days. Because of the shrouds, checking the electrolyte levels was seldom done by me. I don't now whether the levels were ever checked at the dealer service department, but I doubt it.

All three failed batteries had very low electrolyte levels. This was easy to see since the Panasonics had translucent plastic cases and the liquid levels were easily visible without having to remove any of the battery cell caps. The Panasonics were not "no maintenance" batteries, they just got no maintenance due to being hard to get to to check and top up.

I replaced all of them with AGM batteries of various brands, based on Consumer Reports battery reviews at the time of purchase. AGM batteries are really sealed, and are truly maintenance free. Another plus is that AGM batteries can be bought on line, frequently at a significant savings versus the same battery at a store, and unlike wet cell batteries, they can be shipped to your home fully charged.

As an example, the LX570 now has an AutoCraft Platinum AGM battery, bought online from Advance Auto Parts, delivered by UPS with free second day delivery, at a $50 savings compared to the same battery off the shelf in the store 8 miles from me. Plus, the battery I received was newer than all three of the ones they had in stock at the store. The core charge was $5.00, and I just dropped off the old battery at the store with no problem at all. So, while they tout free installation, in effect there is a hidden charge of around $50 for that service.

I may drive a luxury vehicle, but I have better uses for $50 than giving it to the parts store kid for 10 minutes of work.
Old 08-11-18, 11:40 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

True and I am with you on the fact that there are other ways to spend that $50 bucks.

BTW, if you take the LX to a Lexus dealership for routine service, the tech is supposed to do a load test. This will USUALLY identify any potential battery issues BEFORE it totally fails. Is this done every single visit? IDK.

It's all boil down to a matter of convienence. If my LX is disabled due to a dead battery, then I'm sorta stranded for a while. Sure I have a small lithium ion battery pack that I keep around to jump start just in case. But after I get to where I'm going and shut off the LX engine, I run the risk of the same battery again. Yes, I can do another self jump using the same lithium ion battery pack (I think it's good for like 4 jumps on a V8 engine. The thing is a little bigger than 4 packs of playing cards.)

Ok. So I get on line and order the same battery you had ordered. In the meantime I risk a dead battery every time I go out on my LX UNTIL the battery I ordered online arrives.

I'm ok with all of above UNTIL my wife drives the LX and the thing won't crank up!!!

So to me that 50 bucks is well worth it to get it replaced by AAA. Plus I'm happy to pay that extra 50 bucks (AAA pricing was competitive bc I had checked) to the young kid who shows up with AAA to change out my battery. I was that young kid years ago working at odd jobs in high school and college......so it's all good.

Originally Posted by Reggie1
My wife and I have owned 5 Lexus vehicles. Our 2 latest are both 2013s and the LX battery died almost at the 5 year mark. The second gen LX it replaced also got 4-5 years of battery life. The last three had Panasonic batteries, which I replaced myself. The original Panasonic label batteries were wet cell batteries and all were hidden under the plastic engine shrouds that are the industry standard these days. Because of the shrouds, checking the electrolyte levels was seldom done by me. I don't now whether the levels were ever checked at the dealer service department, but I doubt it.

All three failed batteries had very low electrolyte levels. This was easy to see since the Panasonics had translucent plastic cases and the liquid levels were easily visible without having to remove any of the battery cell caps. The Panasonics were not "no maintenance" batteries, they just got no maintenance due to being hard to get to to check and top up.

I replaced all of them with AGM batteries of various brands, based on Consumer Reports battery reviews at the time of purchase. AGM batteries are really sealed, and are truly maintenance free. Another plus is that AGM batteries can be bought on line, frequently at a significant savings versus the same battery at a store, and unlike wet cell batteries, they can be shipped to your home fully charged.

As an example, the LX570 now has an AutoCraft Platinum AGM battery, bought online from Advance Auto Parts, delivered by UPS with free second day delivery, at a $50 savings compared to the same battery off the shelf in the store 8 miles from me. Plus, the battery I received was newer than all three of the ones they had in stock at the store. The core charge was $5.00, and I just dropped off the old battery at the store with no problem at all. So, while they tout free installation, in effect there is a hidden charge of around $50 for that service.

I may drive a luxury vehicle, but I have better uses for $50 than giving it to the parts store kid for 10 minutes of work.

Last edited by lexusrus; 08-11-18 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-11-18, 04:39 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I should have mentioned that I have 4other vehicles. One of my goals was to have 5 vehicles. I reached it after I retired. My wish was to have one each from the following categories:

1. SUV that could double as a tow vehicle - the LX

2. Sports car convertible - the IS-C for warm summer days.

3. Heavy duty long bed pickup. for towing and farm work.

4. A performance sports sedan.

5. A project car to restore.

That's why I don't have a problem waiting 2 days or more for a new battery. I can symathize though; I spent over 50 years with a single car and no real space to work on it when it had problems.
Old 08-11-18, 10:51 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1

Panasonic batteries used in the 100 and 200 series have the reputation of lasting almost forever, as well as being pricey v. non-Panasonic batteries. They're like any other lead-acid batteries in that they'll fry once the electrolyte gets too low. Removing the battery "shrouds" involves pressing in on each plastic fastener until it clicks, removing the fastener, and then the shroud...around 2-3 seconds per fastener.

I too doubt electrolyte level is checked at most dealers.

I like AGM batteries and have used them so far in large tractors and our 3/4 ton Dodge. If / when the LX or Land Cruiser need new batteries, they'll be AGM...assuming I can find them in the same size / group number as oem.
Old 08-12-18, 12:17 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

A recent load test revealed that the 5-year old Panasonic battery in my LX had started to dip in CCA. So I decided to do a bit of preventative maintenance and replace it. In my area a 27F AGM battery is hard to find. I ended up buying a 840 CCA Duracell Gold battery made by East Penn/Dekka. I bought it at Sam's for $99, including free installation. I noticed that other wet cells at O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, NAPA, etc. were all more expensive 710 CCA batteries (I'd imagine made by the same manufacturer).
Old 08-12-18, 06:58 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The AGM is tempting. I also got the Duracell Deka battery after 5 years when the original battery started holding below 13 volts. You can get 3 Deka batteries for the price of 1 X2power AGM.
The key benefit of the AGM is it's a deep cycle battery. Great for secondary battery systems.
Maybe next time.
Old 08-12-18, 02:13 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I top off the distilled water in my battery every year Panasonic last forever if you add distilled water once a year
Old 08-12-18, 09:00 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this relatively easy to do?
Originally Posted by Max707
I top off the distilled water in my battery every year Panasonic last forever if you add distilled water once a year
Old 08-13-18, 10:40 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes just need a screwdriver to unscrew the plugs at the top of the battery and you’ll see the holes fill each with distilled water to the top and then screw the cap back on just make sure you use distilled water and don’t get any dirt in the battery wipe it off before you unscrew the plugs. Takes about five minutes