LX 570 Engine Covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 06:06 AM
ships10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LX 570 Engine Covers

Are these really necessary?
They’re a pain to remove to do any work on the engine.
Old 03-15-18, 07:11 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

No, but they do keep things quieter in the passenger compartment.
Old 03-15-18, 01:03 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by ships10
Are these really necessary?
They’re a pain to remove to do any work on the engine.
My engine cover is in the attic, along with both side steps and the rear seats.

I seriously doubt you'll hear more noise in the cabin.
Old 03-15-18, 01:04 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

More for sound proof and visual appealing
Old 03-15-18, 01:26 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hankinid
My engine cover is in the attic, along with both side steps and the rear seats.

I seriously doubt you'll hear more noise in the cabin.
Hey how does the LX look without the side steps? Did you put on LC200 rockers? I'd love to see pictures.
AA
Old 03-15-18, 03:50 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 425 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by z32
More for sound proof and visual appealing
The 200 series engine is inherently quiet...with or without the cover, the loudest thing I can hear is the engine fan during the warm up cycle.

I do not understand visual "appeal"...you're looking at the top of the engine...who cares? As OP pointed out, it's an extra step to take if you need to work on the truck and therefore a pita, at least imo. Fine with me if you want to leave the cover on or remove it.

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Hey how does the LX look without the side steps? Did you put on LC200 rockers? I'd love to see pictures.
AA
Check my sig...our 200 is a Land Cruiser. One of the LC's side steps found it way onto a boulder Luckily it was a small boulder, but it did punch the step in about an inch and it bent two of 3 mounting brackets. So, 'Yota wants ~ $250 for the for the step and ~ $150 each for the brackets. Thats around half of what will get you something a lot more functional from Slee, Budd-Built, White Knuckle, etc. At this time I'm reading reviews on Mud and should get a set in a month or so when it warms up here. Check the photo section at the 200 forum on Mud and you definitely will see a bunch of pictures.
Old 03-15-18, 04:01 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The engine cover may also have a tiny incremental effect on highway fuel economy. It has a seal that directs air coming in under the hood lip around the sides of the engine compartment.

I leave mine on because I want things as quiet as possible, but it does mean a few extra minutes if I want to work on anything underhood.
Old 03-15-18, 04:23 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I took the entire cover off and it's currently lying on the garage floor. I find it annoying that to check fluids or any part of the engine, I have to one by one pluck off those stupid plastic screws and take off the covers. This way everything is exposed and obvious, and nothing is hidden when the lid is popped open to evaluate the engine by myself or the mechanic.

I personally haven't noticed any increase or decrease in cabin noise with the engine covers off. YMMV,
Old 03-15-18, 04:32 PM
lex97h
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's mainly aesthetic purposes. I took mine off also and didn't notice any difference in cabin noise either.
Old 03-15-18, 04:39 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hankinid
Check my sig...our 200 is a Land Cruiser.
Ah, right, I missed that. They problem is the step and the rocker panel on the LX are one piece. Pull off the step and you also loose about 5 inches of body panel that runs under the doors. Additionally the AHC suspension stuff is attached to the frame rails right behind the step and it becomes exposed. These AHC parts make it hard to fit rock sliders to the frame as the mounting points cannot be the same as the LC200. I hear some are being made, but they are not readily available yet. Still waiting...
Thanks for the details!
Old 03-15-18, 06:25 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Ah, right, I missed that. They problem is the step and the rocker panel on the LX are one piece. Pull off the step and you also loose about 5 inches of body panel that runs under the doors. Additionally the AHC suspension stuff is attached to the frame rails right behind the step and it becomes exposed. These AHC parts make it hard to fit rock sliders to the frame as the mounting points cannot be the same as the LC200. I hear some are being made, but they are not readily available yet. Still waiting...
Thanks for the details!
Actually they're available. You just have to call slee to order them because they're not on the website.
The following users liked this post:
UCrazyKid (03-16-18)
Old 03-16-18, 09:55 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had my LX underhood trim (not the cover over the engine though) off recently while installing LED lights and I thought I could detect an ever-so-slight increase in engine noise in the cabin. Not a big deal by any means, I certainly wouldn't have thought anything was "wrong" if that was the normal amount of engine noise, but my impression was that it was just barely enough to notice.

That said, I wish they made engines look good without the actual engine cover, but I suppose the giant plastic intake manifolds on most engines these days make that a difficult task. I love raising the hood and seeing a good-looking engine, not something that screams Powered by a Hunk of Plastic!

Last edited by I6turbo; 03-16-18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-18-18, 12:34 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I always hear the fuel Injectors click clacking injectors when I’m standing outside with the engine running
Old 03-18-18, 05:55 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Worth keeping on especially in the winter, I think. I would expect the engine to warm up faster and stay cleaner.

On the other hand, it might run cooler without during the summer months. I'd be curious what the difference is.

Between the noise and dirt preventing functions, it would need to be a big difference for me to consider taking them off.
Old 05-03-18, 07:08 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I removed my engine covers as soon as the warranty expired and I started doing maintenance myself.

Also, I'm old school (and old as well). I remember the days when new car shopping involved the salesman opening the hood so you could admire the engine.

Today it's checking out the number of cup holders, and the navigation / entertainment systems. My last 6 new vehicles I bought without ever having the hoods opened (Lexus, Mercedes, BMW).. It wasn't until I got them home that I figured out where their hood latches were.

Quick Reply: LX 570 Engine Covers