LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Ugly front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 11:31 AM
insite4U
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ugly front license plate

Bough a beautiful new Lexus LX570 and Ohio BMV expects me to put an ugly wonky plate on the front?! Bummer!
I have been looking at a work around using an electric hide-away plate bracket ( check it out at http://www.ebay.com)

Anyone have experience with these? The place the plate Would have to go under the front of the LX appears sloped and I am not sure how well this would work. I certainly don't want to muck it up worse.

Any ideas, suggestions? Figure I better do something soon before a $200 ticket forces my hand.

pc
Old 08-28-17, 07:38 PM
wasupdu
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you really need a front plate? I guess only you can answer that question. 2 plates are issued in my state, but I haven't ran a front plate on any of our vehicles since I can remember... I even refused delivery when they drilled the front bumper holes (specifically told them numerous times not to).

In college when I parked on the street all the time, I use to get dinged by the meter maids for not having a front plate, so I velcro'd a plate on when I parked. Good luck, but I'd probably wait until I got at least a couple tickets.
The following users liked this post:
insite4U (08-29-17)
Old 08-28-17, 08:51 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by insite4U
Bough a beautiful new Lexus LX570 and Ohio BMV expects me to put an ugly wonky plate on the front?! Bummer!
I have been looking at a work around using an electric hide-away plate bracket ( check it out at http://www.ebay.com)

Anyone have experience with these? The place the plate Would have to go under the front of the LX appears sloped and I am not sure how well this would work. I certainly don't want to muck it up worse.

Any ideas, suggestions? Figure I better do something soon before a $200 ticket forces my hand.

pc
I'd guess you'd get a $200 ticket anyway if the hide-away bracket were set to "hide-away". Don't worry about the bracket "mucking up" the styling...Lexus did a great job when they "refreshed" the front end to the new snow-plow look.
Old 08-29-17, 06:17 AM
Gordj
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I put two clear tie wraps on my grill. If I get pulled over I will get out, surprised as hell, and claim that someone ripped off my plate. The tie wraps will be proof?
Old 08-29-17, 08:38 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gordj
I put two clear tie wraps on my grill. If I get pulled over I will get out, surprised as hell, and claim that someone ripped off my plate. The tie wraps will be proof?
Sounds like a hokey excuse and probably one the cop has heard before. You are still responsible to have a front plate in states that require it. I like the velcro idea, but with the plate off you'll still have a few pieces on the beautiful front end.
Old 08-29-17, 08:51 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I think no front plate tickets here in NY could close the gap in the deficit....At least at the Sunday car shows on Long Island Troopers just wait at the exit for people to leave most in their Sunday drivers and just hand them out as fast as they can write
Old 08-29-17, 10:33 AM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In my state (Washington) front plates are required as well. I've seen social media posts of people getting pulled over and ticketed for not having a front plate, and even getting tickets while parked by the meter maid Oddly enough, when I bought my 570 from a local dealership in WA state, I didn't even notice my 570 didn't have a front plate until a few weeks later. The 570 is my DD and I didn't want to risk getting a ticket, so I bought a $6 front frame kit off ebay, drilled 2 holes in the front bumper, and screwed in the front plate. Done.

Having said, when I drove my 911 around, I never bothered putting on a front plate and never got a ticket. Then again, I didn't drive it that much.
Old 08-29-17, 10:37 AM
insite4U
Driver School Candidate

Some interesting thoughts indeed. Nice thing about the electric hideaway is that if you get pulled over you simply hit the remote and it's there, if the no plate issue is even brought up. I'll have to contact my local Ohio rep and get them to back the no front plate bill.

I do ageee about the snow plow comment, but whether you like it or not, I think it's better without a bug crusted ugly state plate. At least the Europeans have the cool short and wide plates.
Old 08-29-17, 10:39 AM
insite4U
Driver School Candidate

No ticket cause I'd hit the remote and the plate would be there and the cop would see the error of his ways. ��
Old 08-29-17, 10:44 AM
insite4U
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by docboy
In my state (Washington) front plates are required as well. I've seen social media posts of people getting pulled over and ticketed for not having a front plate, and even getting tickets while parked by the meter maid Oddly enough, when I bought my 570 from a local dealership in WA state, I didn't even notice my 570 didn't have a front plate until a few weeks later. The 570 is my DD and I didn't want to risk getting a ticket, so I bought a $6 front frame kit off ebay, drilled 2 holes in the front bumper, and screwed in the front plate. Done.

Having said, when I drove my 911 around, I never bothered putting on a front plate and never got a ticket. Then again, I didn't drive it that much.
I plated my 911 cause I didn't want to give them any excuse to pull me over.

I was provided Lexus factory bracket and, after thinking about it, I should probably just put the front plate on the 570 and forget it.
Old 08-29-17, 11:59 AM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Thumbs down

No ticket cause I'd hit the remote and the plate would be there and the cop would see the error of his ways. ��
Not here in NY unfortunately buddy had it on his cobra still got the ticket..
Old 08-29-17, 02:39 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Actually, you'd see the error of your ways when the prosecutor presents evidence from the cops dash and body cameras.

Your state law notes in section 4503.21: "Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker..."

The law requires you to not only have a front plate, but to display it.

Last edited by hankinid; 08-29-17 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-29-17, 04:44 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

pc
i have none front license plates on my three lexus, no plate for 07" IS, no plate on 14 GX and no front plate on my 17" LX and never have pull over yet, i think i am lucky though and i am live in Ohio
Old 08-29-17, 05:06 PM
docboy
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Some interesting thoughts indeed. Nice thing about the electric hideaway is that if you get pulled over you simply hit the remote and it's there, if the no plate issue is even brought up. I'll have to contact my local Ohio rep and get them to back the no front plate bill.

I do ageee about the snow plow comment, but whether you like it or not, I think it's better without a bug crusted ugly state plate. At least the Europeans have the cool short and wide plates.
I know someone who has both a Cayenne and Cayman, and she has the electric hideaway in the front. She seems to like it, and it's pretty cool to see it in function.

I plated my 911 cause I didn't want to give them any excuse to pull me over.

I was provided Lexus factory bracket and, after thinking about it, I should probably just put the front plate on the 570 and forget it.
Funny thing with the 911 is that there were a few 911 owners in the local Porsche club who have gotten pulled over for no front license plate. We swore it was Porsche profiling, and I have to agree. The 911 probably drew enough attention, and cops just found an excuse to pull them over. Then again, there are those of us who have not gotten pulled over.

I would agree, since you have a factory bracket, just put it on and forget about it.
Old 08-30-17, 11:33 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Can I display the front license plate on my dash up against my windshield??? Does it have to be on the front bumper?

Originally Posted by hankinid
Actually, you'd see the error of your ways when the prosecutor presents evidence from the cops dash and body cameras.

Your state law notes in section 4503.21: "Display of license plates and validation stickers or temporary license placard or windshield sticker.(A) No person who is the owner or operator of a motor vehicle shall fail to display in plain view on the front and rear of the motor vehicle the distinctive number and registration mark, including any county identification sticker and any validation sticker..."

The law requires you to not only have a front plate, but to display it.

Quick Reply: Ugly front license plate