LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

16 570 Vs Land Rover Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 02:27 PM
jalnsx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default 16 570 Vs Land Rover Supercharged

Who has had both or at least looked at both and which way did you go? What or why did you choose what you did and thoughts on what you chose? I love the Rover supercharged but scared it might have problems and I know they want hold resale like the Lexus. I had a 14' LX and loved it but wished it had a bit more leg room has the seating in the 16' improved or is it the same layout?
Old 06-20-16, 03:28 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I never looked at Rover supercharger because it is notorious for reliability. Consumer Report gave them black circle on reliability and most on every other things. If you want one, you need to buy two to switch them around while the one is in the shop.
Old 06-20-16, 03:58 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you buy a Rover, you'll get to know your service advisor really, really well. Also, you'll have a chance to drive an Evoque loaner quite often.
Old 06-21-16, 07:22 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I wouldnt buy either here imho. Wait for next generation LX. Imho, lexus knows they need to beef up power and make this drive better like the RR.

in case you are fixed on buying RR, look at the hideous comments from buyers here. I would rather buy a german vs british, and i cant stand german reliability as well.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...and_rover.html

Last edited by T4Fun; 06-21-16 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 10:50 AM
clipsmeyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I can actually provide you some insight I own a 15 lx, 16 lx and a 14.5 lwb autobiography range rover.
the finish of the 16 lx is much improved over the 15, the handling is a little different and still getting used to the 8 speed transmission it feels a little sluggish and could use a little more power, also the steering is very stiff compared to the 15. My wife hates the lack of a digital clock on the 16. The LX is a great family hauler and can fit 7 easily.

the range rover. I own the long wheelbase autobiography version with the executive package. It only seats 4 and the rear seats do not fold down if you have the exec package. The power is amazing better than my old v10 touareg there is leather everywhere and the fit and finish is great too. I have had a few minor hiccups mainly a couple of sensors on the suspension that caused error codes to be thrown. which lead to it being in the shop for a couple of days.

Service.
I live in the Orlando metro so 1 lexus dealer and 1 land rover dealer both are about 30-45 min from my house. The lexus dealer has the advantage that they will pick the car up for service from the airport valet and service it while I am on a trip, huge plus for me since I travel a lot for work.

uniqueness There are LX's everywhere in my town, there are also lots of range rovers, but fewer long wheelbase mkIV's and even fewer autobiography versions and very rare to see one with the exec package.

I'm glad we have both.
Old 06-21-16, 11:36 AM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clipsmeyer
I can actually provide you some insight I own a 15 lx, 16 lx and a 14.5 lwb autobiography range rover.
the finish of the 16 lx is much improved over the 15, the handling is a little different and still getting used to the 8 speed transmission it feels a little sluggish and could use a little more power, also the steering is very stiff compared to the 15. My wife hates the lack of a digital clock on the 16. The LX is a great family hauler and can fit 7 easily.

the range rover. I own the long wheelbase autobiography version with the executive package. It only seats 4 and the rear seats do not fold down if you have the exec package. The power is amazing better than my old v10 touareg there is leather everywhere and the fit and finish is great too. I have had a few minor hiccups mainly a couple of sensors on the suspension that caused error codes to be thrown. which lead to it being in the shop for a couple of days.

Service.
I live in the Orlando metro so 1 lexus dealer and 1 land rover dealer both are about 30-45 min from my house. The lexus dealer has the advantage that they will pick the car up for service from the airport valet and service it while I am on a trip, huge plus for me since I travel a lot for work.

uniqueness There are LX's everywhere in my town, there are also lots of range rovers, but fewer long wheelbase mkIV's and even fewer autobiography versions and very rare to see one with the exec package.

I'm glad we have both.
Great writing!

16LX570 & LWB Range Rover in autobiography are two best SUVs in the market.

Grats to your family owning both!

Are they a little too big for some streets?
Old 06-21-16, 12:18 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What DocT and yakim said.

I don't feel like the LX is lacking at all in leg room or any other room. It's quite a large vehicle. How tall are you?

If the LX isn't huge enough for you and you need more space, may I suggest the Expedition EL, at a whopping 220"

Last edited by Chocolate; 06-21-16 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 04:14 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Service.

I'm glad we have both.
How many miles have you had on your RR now?
For LX, I believe there is after market supercharger if one wants more power. I would rather install the supercharger on LX rather than get RR supercharger. The reliability is still way more more supreme than RR.

My 2 pennies.
Old 06-21-16, 07:35 PM
jalnsx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chocolate
What DocT and yakim said.

I don't feel like the LX is lacking at all in leg room or any other room. It's quite a large vehicle. How tall are you?

If the LX isn't huge enough for you and you need more space, may I suggest the Expedition EL, at a whopping 220"
I am 6'2" and I think the room is good just not as comfy as the rover or even the x5 in the drivers seat. The lx seems to me like you are sitting up high vs the others seems like your part of the vehicle. I would never own the Expedition even thought I love the truck line!
Old 06-21-16, 08:14 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DocT
How many miles have you had on your RR now?
For LX, I believe there is after market supercharger if one wants more power. I would rather install the supercharger on LX rather than get RR supercharger. The reliability is still way more more supreme than RR.

My 2 pennies.
Toyota discontinued the SC and it wont do any ECM calibrations on MY 2016 and newer, so not an option on new LX.
This is yet another sign they will soon offer turbo based LX on redesign

Last edited by T4Fun; 06-21-16 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-23-16, 04:34 AM
clipsmeyer
Driver School Candidate

I have about 9 k on the rover and about 6k on the 16 LX and about 20k on the 15 LX
Old 06-23-16, 08:32 AM
jalnsx
Rookie

I have about 9 k on the rover and about 6k on the 16 LX and about 20k on the 15 LX

If you had to choose just one for a weekend vehicle which would it be the Rover or LX?
Old 06-23-16, 11:50 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by jalnsx
If you had to choose just one for a weekend vehicle which would it be the Rover or LX?
I'd try the RR, assuming I would not be billed for damage due to road "quality", and also assuming I'd have a Land Cruiser or LX behind me as a pick-up vehicle.
Old 06-23-16, 06:29 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hankinid
assuming I'd have a Land Cruiser or LX behind me as a pick-up vehicle.
LOL.

I am amazed that the owner of RR already has had problems with it (sensors) when it has only 9k miles. It will show more problems when it gets up to 50-75K miles
Old 06-24-16, 04:17 AM
clipsmeyer
Driver School Candidate

The sensor issue was at about 1000 miles since then trouble free