LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Anyone installed the grom vline in your LX570 2008-2013 model?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-19, 07:00 AM
slim26
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone installed the grom vline in your LX570 2008-2013 model?

I'm planning to buy the Grom vline series for my LX570 2008 model but was a bit hesitant after seeing in one of the videos that grom posted on youtube where they unplug the factory rear infotainment unit from the head unit as part of the install which should stop the rear infotainment system from operation if I understood this correctly.

a) Has anyone installed the grom vline series without affecting operation of the factory rear infotainment system?

b) If the rear infotainment operation is not going to be affected which should proof that I was wrong in my doubts then will I be able to see the grom vline screen on rear infotainment screen?
I understand that controlling the unit wouldn't work on the rear infotainment system since it has no touchscreen capability which is totally fine.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by slim26; 09-29-19 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-23-19, 06:22 PM
Mohwak
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Installed One (Grom VLine2)

New guy here and this is my first post.

Doesn't effect the infotainment system that I have found. However here are a couple of things to consider.
I purchased this mainly to run Maps or Waze off of. If you are navigating in Waze and get a phone call the screen switches to the phone call on the factory "audio" screen and you can not see Waze. As soon as you hang up it switches back.
The Bluetooth is strictly for listening to audio. There is no two way phone communication. If there was you would be able to unpair your phone from the car and then pair to the Vline and you wouldn't have the switching problem. Currently I do not have my phone paired with the VLine
The apps that come on this thing if they need an internet connection your phone plugged into the USB port your phone will NOT provide that. At least mine did not(Galaxy Note9). The solution is to turn on hotspot and connect through that. I will not turn on hot spot every time I get in the vehicle Which sucks because their webradio app looks interesting.
Android Auto kicks in when I plug up my phone and can use all the typical stuff and as far as I know the audio goes through the USB connection.
I purchased an adapter cable so the factory USB plug runs directly to the GROM Vline USB port. I like this option. Thinking about getting an aftermarket dual USB port an mounting it in the ashtray or coldbox.

I tried other "Tesla" style radios but they could not get the cameras to work and when they quit trying I sent it back. The other I tried to get into specifics with and they just quit answering questions.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Jason
Old 10-23-19, 08:28 PM
slim26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mohwak
New guy here and this is my first post.

Doesn't effect the infotainment system that I have found. However here are a couple of things to consider.
I purchased this mainly to run Maps or Waze off of. If you are navigating in Waze and get a phone call the screen switches to the phone call on the factory "audio" screen and you can not see Waze. As soon as you hang up it switches back.
The Bluetooth is strictly for listening to audio. There is no two way phone communication. If there was you would be able to unpair your phone from the car and then pair to the Vline and you wouldn't have the switching problem. Currently I do not have my phone paired with the VLine
The apps that come on this thing if they need an internet connection your phone plugged into the USB port your phone will NOT provide that. At least mine did not(Galaxy Note9). The solution is to turn on hotspot and connect through that. I will not turn on hot spot every time I get in the vehicle Which sucks because their webradio app looks interesting.
Android Auto kicks in when I plug up my phone and can use all the typical stuff and as far as I know the audio goes through the USB connection.
I purchased an adapter cable so the factory USB plug runs directly to the GROM Vline USB port. I like this option. Thinking about getting an aftermarket dual USB port an mounting it in the ashtray or coldbox.

I tried other "Tesla" style radios but they could not get the cameras to work and when they quit trying I sent it back. The other I tried to get into specifics with and they just quit answering questions.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Jason
Hi Jason,

Welcome to ClubLexus!

Thank you for your feedback about the VLine.

Can you confirm which year is your LX570? And which model of VLine did you buy? Did you also install the VLine yourself?

I use rear infotainment screen to play cartoons for my son with the inbuilt factory DVD player (disks are inserted in the front dash unit). Can you confirm if you are able to watch DVD on rear infotainment screen while having VLine displayed and operational on front screen?

Regards,
Anton
Old 10-24-19, 06:29 AM
Mohwak
6th Gear

Hey Anton,

I can confirm that I can let the rear seats watch a DVD movie and front seats can listen to the audio through the VLine2 and/or navigating with the VLine2

My vehicle is a 2013 Lexus LX 570. I self installed a Grom VLine 2. I Do Not have my phone connected by Bluetooth to the VLine2. I only use the USB cable. I do have my phone connected by Bluetooth to the factory radio. My radio has Mark Levinson sound system. (Not sure if the all do).

I also forgot to mention. That this DOES NOT use factory GPS antenna. It comes with its own and I installed mine underneath the dash speaker grill. It Does use the factory Mic though. So no need to route that cable anywhere. I installed my VLine2 behind the factory screen with some velcro. It rest on the wiring bundle and duct work for defrost. Velcro keeps it in place.

What else could I tell you about this?

Have a good one,

Jason
Old 01-03-20, 12:14 PM
snamchreb
Driver School Candidate

Hey Anton,

I can confirm that I can let the rear seats watch a DVD movie and front seats can listen to the audio through the VLine2 and/or navigating with the VLine2

My vehicle is a 2013 Lexus LX 570. I self installed a Grom VLine 2. I Do Not have my phone connected by Bluetooth to the VLine2. I only use the USB cable. I do have my phone connected by Bluetooth to the factory radio. My radio has Mark Levinson sound system. (Not sure if the all do).

I also forgot to mention. That this DOES NOT use factory GPS antenna. It comes with its own and I installed mine underneath the dash speaker grill. It Does use the factory Mic though. So no need to route that cable anywhere. I installed my VLine2 behind the factory screen with some velcro. It rest on the wiring bundle and duct work for defrost. Velcro keeps it in place.

Have a good one,

Jason
I really like my GROM install as well. @Mohwak : where did you get the USB adapter from? I would like to get my factory USB port functional again.

Also, is your 360 camera button finicky? Whenever I push the 360 camera button, it goes to the GROM Vline video feed. The only time the 360 camera works is when I am at low speed and parking (switching from reverse to drive in my garage).
Old 02-02-20, 09:34 AM
Mohwak
6th Gear

Default Parts from Amazon

Picked up the USB adapter from Amazon. They also have them on ebay.

The parking camera seems to be fine.

I have run into a problem with the latest update from GROM. If I have my phone plugged in to the VLine when I stop. The next time I get in to the vehicle I have a blank screen. Have to disconnect the battery for about an hour..then reconnect. Turn on access, hit radio power then I have screen again...really wierd.
Forces me to use mobile hotspot.

Last edited by Mohwak; 02-13-20 at 08:16 AM. Reason: New info
Old 02-13-20, 08:21 AM
Mohwak
6th Gear

Latest Problems:

I have been trying to troubleshoot this thing. About a month ago the VLINE updated and ever since I have had problems.

1. Anywhere from 12 hours to 2 days my screen goes blank and I have to reset my system by disconnecting the battery for an hour.
2. While on the VLINE screen the volume display keeps showing up an disappearing about once every two seconds. Even though no one is touching the volume.
3. Parking cameras have a weird flickering to them now that was not there before.

I am about to pull this thing out and see if the blank screen and cameras correct themselves.
Old 11-11-20, 10:15 AM
FuzzieVohs
Driver School Candidate

New member, first post...
I self-installed the VL2 in my 2013 Lexus LX570. My observations:
  1. The video showing how to install it was great; worked perfectly.
  2. My factory backup, side and front cameras didn't work; Contacted support, and they suggested turning off the radio or switching it to AM/FM; That didn't work. I disconnected the VL2, and still no cameras. I disconnected the battery and did a cap discharge, still no cameras. Figured I didn't really need to see where I had been, so I reconnected the VL2. 4 days later, the cameras started to work. They only work if the audio is AM/FM though. Very weird issue.
  3. I ran a USB cable from the VL2; I'd rather figure out how to use the factory USB connector, but haven't figured that out yet.
  4. I tried using my Google Pixel 4 XL Bluetooth connection to share the internet with the VL2. Worked, but required me to connect it every time. That was a PITA. Support suggested I use the WifI hotspot instead. That works perfectly.
  5. When I get a call, the screen changes to the factory phone screen, so I lose Waze. I'd like to fix that...if anyone knows how to resolve that, please let me know.
  6. Obviously, I don't want to text while driving, but I would love to have it read an incoming text, at my option.
  7. I routed it to the glovebox and installed it there. It was a challenge removing the glovebox to get the wires there, but it was worth it. Looks great.
  8. Also, I'd love to be able to use Android Auto wirelessly...but I haven't figured that out yet.
Overall, I'd highly recommend it.

Last edited by FuzzieVohs; 11-11-20 at 10:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (11-17-20)
Old 05-01-21, 12:23 AM
MrFreePres
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FuzzieVohs
New member, first post...
I self-installed the VL2 in my 2013 Lexus LX570. My observations:
  1. The video showing how to install it was great; worked perfectly.
  2. My factory backup, side and front cameras didn't work; Contacted support, and they suggested turning off the radio or switching it to AM/FM; That didn't work. I disconnected the VL2, and still no cameras. I disconnected the battery and did a cap discharge, still no cameras. Figured I didn't really need to see where I had been, so I reconnected the VL2. 4 days later, the cameras started to work. They only work if the audio is AM/FM though. Very weird issue.
  3. I ran a USB cable from the VL2; I'd rather figure out how to use the factory USB connector, but haven't figured that out yet.
  4. I tried using my Google Pixel 4 XL Bluetooth connection to share the internet with the VL2. Worked, but required me to connect it every time. That was a PITA. Support suggested I use the WifI hotspot instead. That works perfectly.
  5. When I get a call, the screen changes to the factory phone screen, so I lose Waze. I'd like to fix that...if anyone knows how to resolve that, please let me know.
  6. Obviously, I don't want to text while driving, but I would love to have it read an incoming text, at my option.
  7. I routed it to the glovebox and installed it there. It was a challenge removing the glovebox to get the wires there, but it was worth it. Looks great.
  8. Also, I'd love to be able to use Android Auto wirelessly...but I haven't figured that out yet.
Overall, I'd highly recommend it.

Looking at this for my 2013 RX350 F-Sport and wanted to listen in on your conversation. 😉
Old 05-03-22, 12:07 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

facing an issue with the Grom vLine.. when i slow the car down or stop it, the camera kicks on automatically. When this happens and I move the car - ahead (ie red light / stop sign etc) the vline does not go back to full screen; the place where the camera show is black and only the 1/3 of screen shows the vline on the right side of screen. Only way to fix this is if I disable the 360 camera or reboot the infotainment system.
I have the auto screen map toggle switch off also. ..wondering if any of your faced this

Old 06-22-22, 12:34 AM
Mohsinali
1st Gear

Default Mic installation

Hey Anton,

Have a good one,

Jason
hi Jason,
Does that mean we don't have to install mic provided with VLine my lx570 is 2010. What you say??. One more question does anytime you feel to reset the Vline. If so do you again have to open the dash or you have some other trick. Thanks for the info.
regards,
Old 06-22-22, 08:12 AM
mricci
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
when i slow the car down or stop it, the camera kicks on automatically.
This feature can be disabled. I like this option very much and I always use it, but it was disabled when I bought the car (camera did not automatically kick-in at low speeds or when car was stopped). I somehow enabled it later on, when I was playing with settings.