LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Adding a key (ebay) to a 98 LX470

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 11:57 AM
DrHess
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Adding a key (ebay) to a 98 LX470

Greetz, gentlemen. Some of you may know me already; I've been in teh Intr4w3bz' Toyota circles since before there was a "WWW."

Anyway, I decided to register here after using the site's resources for years. I have 2 LS400's (98 and 99) and just bought a 98 LX470. It came with one key. I bought 2 key blank/fob/buttons/transponders on eBay and SUCCESSFULLY programmed them. None of the destructions on the net, including those I found here, worked. Here's how I did it:

I had a local locksmith cut the keys. $20 ea plus tax.

Next, after my factory shop manual for a '98 LX470 arrived, I started digging through it. Note that I found a PDF of a slightly different year (99? 00?) LX but it had almost completely different directions (which didn't work). Also, the directions posted here in a .DOC or .DOCX made clicky noises but did not program the keys.

There are two separate processes required to program a new key. I'm not counting the Lexus dealer magic machine method, only the DIY in your driveway method, which I'll describe here.

1. Dance around your '98 LX470 in an anti-clockwise direction 3 times while chanting "Toy yo da <pause> Toy yo da <pause>." This part seems to be critical.

The buttons to lock/unlock:
2. Truck start condition: Key not in the ignition lock. Driver's door open. Other doors closed. Driver's door unlocked. Other door's condition probably doesn't matter (besides closed), but locked doesn't hurt.
3. Insert (new) key into the ignition lock and pull out.
4. Within 40 seconds, flap the door lock (note that the electric switch may work, but I used the lock itself on the handle) to locked, then unlocked 5 times. You should be flapping the lock every half second through this time. As in Lock-miss-sis-Unlock-sip-ii, 2(lock)-miss-sis-Unlock-sip-ii, through 5, ending with the lock unlocked.
5. Close the driver's door and open it (ONCE).
6. Repeat step 4 with the lock-unlock 5 times at 1 second intervals round trip.
7. Insert the key into the ignition.
8. Turn the ignition switch ON (not to Start, go past accessories, all the way to On, just before Start). Wait 1 second and turn the key off. Only do this once.
9. Remove the key from the lock.

At this point, the locks should cycle by themselves. If they don't, you have to start over again. Wait about a minute and try again. If the locks don't cycle, you may not have a '98.

10. Immediately after the locks cycle, press the lock and unlock switches on the key fob transmitter both simultaneously for more than one second, like for 2 or 3 seconds. You should see the light on the key fob blink more than once.
11. After you let go, within a second or so press any of the 3 switches on the key fob for 2 or 3 seconds, watching for the light to blink more than once.

If you have done everything properly, the locks will cycle once. Now, you can try to press the lock and unlock on the 2nd key (if you have 2), as in step 10 and 11, or proceed to 12, ending the cycle:
12. close the driver's door.

Test the buttons and see if you can lock/unlock the truck.
All the above was from DI576-578 of the FSM (Big Grey Book) for the 98 LX470.

On success of the above, you will still not be able to start the truck, but you can unlock it (woot!). Success. Oh, wait, you want to start and drive it too? OK, registering a sub key for the anti-theft system. Don't have the page number (copier missed it), but it's from the Volume 2 FSM book.

13. Dance around the truck in a clockwise fashion 4 times while chanting "Toy yo da <pause> Toy yo da <pause>."
14. Insert an already registered master key in the ignition lock. Within 15 seconds, step on the gas pedal 4 times. I pressed all the way to the floorboard.
15. Immediately (within 20 seconds) step on the brake pedal and let off 5 times.
16. Remove the master key.
17. Within 10 seconds, insert the new key in the ignition (don't turn on.)
18. Within 10 seconds, step on and release the gas pedal 1 time.
At this point, the security light next to the clock will start blinking. Wait 60 seconds and the security light will stop blinking.
19. If you have another key to register, take the existing key out, set it aside and put the other key in the ignition (don't turn on).
Repeat step 18 (step on the gas pedal once.)
20. When finished with registering new key(s), take the key out of the cylinder and step on and release the brake pedal once.

Test that the new keys will start the truck. On success, it is now appropriate to perform one more "Toyoda Happy Dance" in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise fashion, as you feel would be most appropriate.

That's it. Easy, huh? And my two bill used (eBay) FSM paid for itself, first use. Every use after this is free.

Last edited by DrHess; 11-05-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 08:05 AM
ta1drman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2007 LX470 (and a 99 LC). The key fobs on these are awful. I purchased two on Ebay and the supplier support was a joke. Just getting the keys cut was a challenge (Boulder, CO area). the only locksmith I found cut the keys but failed to synch the keys to the car. I tried repeatedly to go through the dance of pushing pedals and opening doors and so forth only to get frustrated. I ended up buying a Lexus key from a dealer in Scottsdale for $136 (local prices $240-$250). I'm at the Lexus dealer having the key programmed (and the two other new non-lexus keys)--$139. I remember dealing with the same issue on my 99 LC--the dance was a pain but it did work...finally. I don't know why the LX470 proved more challenging. I would advise against buying after-market non-Lexus branded keys.
Old 04-25-17, 06:16 PM
DrHess
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think your problem was the eBay aftermarket key, but the programming. What dance source were you using to program the car to the key? I doubt the one I mention above will work on a 2007 model. It is from the 1998 big beige book. Too late now, but something else you could try would be to buy the Toyota Techstream software and adapter from eBay (oh, yeah, it's not bootleg, it's from China and you have to apply the crack...) and that will give you access to all the computers and let you program a key. I don't remember what I paid for my Techstream/adapter, but it was pretty cheap, like under twenty bucks. That's what the dealer probably used.