LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

LX w/custom grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 09:00 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Default LX w/custom grill

Not one to have just stock vehicles, I decided to have a custom grille made for the wife's LX. I got the idea from an old concept drawing of an L-Tuned LX that was in Autoweek and took it to my friends at AAP in Atlanta and they brought my idea to life with a little coaching from me. I basically got a used grille of of ebay, bought some high quality mesh from ebay, dremeled the cross bars out, had AAP sand, fiberglass, smooth and paint the inner rim black where the cross bars formerly attached, they custom cut and sanwiched the mesh between the metal frame and the plastic grill surround, we took the emblem off the stock grill, sanded the screw holes down a bit and attached to the new grill with the stock screws and washers. Without further ado here are a couple of pics:

Old 02-21-08, 09:17 PM
weswork
Intermediate

I also had a Panasonic Strada installed in the truck and they did custom face plate with perfect contours. As those of you with LXs know it is not easy installing an aftermarket radio in our vehicles and retaining the stock amp and speakers. They hooked me up and I Love this head unit. It has one of the best Ipod interfaces and is fast with menus that are easy to navigate. There is new software available that allows you to play Ipod video through the head unit and the nav has 3d maps. Plus, since Panasonic is Toyota's F1 sponsor I feel like I am giving back.
Here are a couple of shots:

And just as a tease here is my Supra and my GS. Sorry the GS is so dirty.

Old 02-22-08, 12:41 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the grill looks good from a distance, but one of ur picture shows the grill up close and the L emblem looks crooked.

btw, you got any pics of the cutting/fitting of ur grill?

all in all, your ride looks sick, but you gotta ditch the rims. those rims dont flow, srry.
Old 02-22-08, 03:44 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like that alot!! Very unique.
Old 02-22-08, 09:47 AM
osomoso
Pole Position

Who did the head unit for you? They did a nice job with the install. The grill looks awesome. Saw some one on the beach a few weeks back with the same look. Just no emblem mounted in the grill. Love your Supra, I would like it very much for delivering to my clients.
Old 02-22-08, 06:42 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Thanks for the compliments. I know it does look crooked in one of the pics but I think it was just due to the angle of the picture and reflections as it is not crooked looking straight on. AAP (Anderson Audio and Performance now
R2B2 Motors very well known tuners in the Supra community based in Atl, GA) did the stereo install as well as substantially all the work on the Supra.
Old 02-22-08, 09:03 PM
LRP_LS400
Pole Position

very nice collection of cars. modded yet classy.
Old 02-24-08, 09:20 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

very nice, and i think some oem 06-07 lx chrome rims would look very nice on your car instead of those other ones, even though those look very nice too, and that install on the headunit in your car, so clean and neat, very nice
Old 01-19-22, 04:59 PM
Jimmuthy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by weswork
Not one to have just stock vehicles, I decided to have a custom grille made for the wife's LX. I got the idea from an old concept drawing of an L-Tuned LX that was in Autoweek and took it to my friends at AAP in Atlanta and they brought my idea to life with a little coaching from me. I basically got a used grille of of ebay, bought some high quality mesh from ebay, dremeled the cross bars out, had AAP sand, fiberglass, smooth and paint the inner rim black where the cross bars formerly attached, they custom cut and sanwiched the mesh between the metal frame and the plastic grill surround, we took the emblem off the stock grill, sanded the screw holes down a bit and attached to the new grill with the stock screws and washers. Without further ado here are a couple of pics:

I just ran across this post, but the pics aren't attached anymore. Do you have them still? I'm dying to see the grill. I just picked up a 2004 LX and I'm curious what your grill and head unit install turned out like.