LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Toyota Sequoia

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-01, 09:52 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this is a LEXUS forum but since the LX is an SUV, i guess this would be the place to ask this... Is the Toyota Sequoia Toyota's version of the Burban? I have heard that it is bigger than the Landcruiser/LX470 but that it doesn't cost as much. Personally, i would much rather have the Sequoia than the Landcruiser. (i would rather have the LX over both of them though)
Old 04-21-01, 10:23 AM
Francis K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default And one more thing

Thanks for all the pics and stuff, they were great! If theres anything I can do for you just let me know man!

Oh and the Sequoia is waaaaay out of a suburbans league, it actually looks good, it's not a hunk of metal molded into a automobile.
Old 04-21-01, 03:10 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: And one more thing

Originally posted by Francis K
Thanks for all the pics and stuff, they were great! If theres anything I can do for you just let me know man!

Oh and the Sequoia is waaaaay out of a suburbans league, it actually looks good, it's not a hunk of metal molded into a automobile.
lmao Francis K..... I was just wondering size y thoughb/c i didnt think they were. I went to an auto show (they suck in nashville, though) and there was a sequoia there and this was before they were in dealers. On the inside it was fairly large but it just doesn't seem as large as a burban. I love the 14 in ground clearance but i dont hink i could ever own an suv b/c i would flip it on turns.
Francis K... I am still looking for that LX and will keep looking for pics and accessories on the net

Old 04-21-01, 07:37 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

The sequoia competes with the Ford expedition and like you said suburban. Costs much less than the landcruiser. Its based from the Toyota Tundra.
Old 04-23-01, 11:22 AM
lincoln30
Driver School Candidate

Default Yuk!!!

The Sequoia has a horrible interior compared to the Land Cruiser, LX, and even Suburban!!! CHEAP looking!!! Overall I like the exterior, but I would buy a new Suburban ALL DAY long before I'd buy a Sequoia for $42K. Neither compare to the LX...but then again there is a slight price difference!!! I'm actually not 100% sure whether or not I'm gonna buy an LX470 now that Mercedes has annouced pricing for the G500. I love the big ugly boxy stlye of the MB G-wagon and it has a comparable interior (like a cross between the previous generation S-class and Range Rover).
Old 05-06-01, 07:51 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sequoia is based on the Tundra but has the same engine as the LX/Landcruiser from what my Toyota dealer said.

I LIKE the Sequoia because its big, has the same LX engine, and doesn't cost as much.

I DON'T LIKE it because from the front it looks almost EXACTLY like the Tundra, and the interior is very UN-LUXURIOUS.

My dad has really liked it a lot ever since it came out, but I have successfully steered him away from it and towards an LX or Escalade.

Others he was considering, Navigator and Expedition, are both played out, in my opinion.
Old 05-09-01, 08:26 PM
Francis K
Racer

Thumbs up Sick...

You take those words straight out of my mouth
Old 05-09-01, 09:23 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

About the Escalade:

The reasons why I DON'T like it are that its rear looks like some GM truck's rear, I really hate that part! And that inside its not as luxurious, I am sure the LX has better wood and leather inside and probably is a little more luxurious, I haven't test drived either one of them yet.

But, from what I have heard, the Escalade is, amazingly enough, a quieter and more comfortable of a ride than the LX?!?

I have also compared most of the specs from the Cadillac and Lexus websites.

The Escalade DOES NOT have the following features:

no genuine wood trim
no automatic steering, which means no telescopic steering, no auto tilt-away, no steering memory
no remote fuel door release
no sunroof
no seat belt pretensioner
no seat belt 3 point center
no electronic brake-assist
its heavier
powertrain warranty is only 50k miles/48 months instead of the lexus's 70k miles/72 months
the lexus also has unlimited miles on rust protection while the escalade has only 100k miles on rust
no rear folding seat (that;s what lexus says, I am not too sure about that one)
no locking differential
and no skid plates or underbody protection

But then the Escalade has 345hp while the LX has only 230hp.
Old 05-10-01, 08:01 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

But the Escalade is only about 200 lbs or less heavier than the LX, I don't think 200 lbs requires an additional 115hp. I am sure the "new" (2002) Escalade is quicker/faster than the LX.

Also, I don't think the "new" Escalade can be compared to Navigators, Navigator is smaller and less powerfull like the LX.

A thing I like about the Escalade is that it is taller, wider, and longer than the LX by about 5-7 inches on each measure, and combined with its bold front end, it would look huge next to an LX.

And even though the back of the Escalade looks like some GM truck, all of the LX looks like the land cruiser, except for minimal changes on the front.

I am sure that the 2001 LX is nice, but I don't think overall a better value than the Escalade, even if the Escalade was $13,000 more than it is now, making the price for both SUVs the same.

I just wish they would put an auto steering tilt, night vision, real wood trim, and have heated/cooled/massaged front, middle, and rear seats in the Escalade. And they should put some nice features like that in the LX too !
Old 05-10-01, 08:14 PM
Francis K
Racer

Thumbs down My aunt leased a brand new Escalade...

It's in the shop every other weel, literally, no joke. Those things have no class, there is no way in hell you could ever compare to an LX.

Oh and about the smoothness, my LX is smoother than anything I've ever driven, and yes I've driven numerous escalades. Lexus just knows how to do it, Cadillac knows how to put in oversized engines that don't perform and how to be tacky.
Old 05-10-01, 11:20 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I know what you guys are talking about, LX is a very solid vehicle (every toyota is and this is toyota's crown!). The LX undoubtedly is also a lot more luxurious in the interior. But I don't understand why Lexus couldn't do more than 230hp, and couldn't make the SUV look more "kingly".

The major thing that makes me go away from the LX is its no-so-interesting style and its S L O W speed/acceleration. I have a GS4 and I know I would always hate to drive the LX because I would always be comparing to the GS400 ! My dad hasn't yet stepped into the world of SUV's, he has enjoyed vans for the past 7 yrs or so, getting them brand new top-of-the-line all the time.

Now that SUV's are here, bigger AND more luxurious we were thinking about one. And right now he has a 99 Nissan Quest, the power/handling in it is not really that great, BUT it is MUCH better than my 92 LS400 (I hate driving that). The van has a quick response in acceleration and steering, I would want an SUV like that too. I don't want to feel like I am trying to push a tank, I want to feel like I am driving a sports car but still have the passenger capacity of a full-size SUV (8 passengers).

I am not crazy, I know I am not going to be capable of racing in an SUV, but still I don't wanna be a snail !

I also think that Lexus could learn from the 2001 Nissan Quest, it has optional video lcd screens for the headrests and you can hook it up to an optional dvd/video game (probably PS2) and its all factory ! That is a big WOW for a van !

I don't really see an SUV with the right features yet, Escalade has power but its not luxurious, LX is luxurious and very reliable but doesn't look too great and isn't the fastest SUV either. I hope Lexus figures out its next LX well !
Old 05-11-01, 12:52 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

thanks about the info on the caraudio mag, im definitely gonna check it out