LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Obsidian paint = Single Stage

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 10:00 AM
clambros
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obsidian paint = Single Stage

Hey folks, wasn't sure if this was old news, but I found out that the Obsidian (black) is single stage paint (no clear coat). Which explains why the paint tends to scratch or discolor if you look wrong at it ... This car, while it looks great clean, is going to be the death of me.

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/...s-ls460-l.html

As info, here is the thread I posted with my pads after just buffing (1) 1/4 panel and a door ..

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...periments.html
Old 03-20-07, 01:02 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your car looks gorgeous!!!! Hopefully you can maintain it and not get too stressed out.
Old 03-22-07, 05:43 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Old news

I had a 93 SC 400 with the same paint. You might try Meguiar's #26. It won't
streak the paint. I used to only buy black cars. It got to be too hard to take care of them and I've switched to silver. There are no cleaners in Meguiar's #26. You should be able to purchase it at an auto parts store that sells auto paint.

Craig
Old 03-24-07, 06:59 AM
kingnoo
Rookie

Your car is really nice,by the way is the black the only one with single stage paint?
Old 03-24-07, 07:03 AM
Craig B

Default Yes

I think black is the only color that doesn't have a clear coat. All of my other cars painted in black did not have a clear coat.

Craig
Old 03-24-07, 07:09 AM
kingnoo
Rookie

Thanks Craig B
Old 03-24-07, 03:58 PM
shadow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Single Stage Outdated

Can This Be True That Lexus Went Back To Single Stage For They're Black(obsidian) Again. Didn't They Learn That Wasn't A Good Idea From The Past. So All The Work Of Wetsanding The Paint In The Factory And Not To Clear It Is Beyond Me.

Is There A Solution To This Problem?
Old 03-25-07, 08:39 AM
jgoergen
Driver School Candidate

Default Just a Rumor

I brought this up to a Lexus Dealer last night and they said this is a viscous rumor that has been going around for months and insists that the black paint is no different from any of the other colors!!??
Old 03-25-07, 02:45 PM
uthatch
Driver

Originally Posted by jgoergen
I brought this up to a Lexus Dealer last night and they said this is a viscous rumor that has been going around for months and insists that the black paint is no different from any of the other colors!!??
I believe that this is just a rumor. I cannot believe the Obsidian is not clearcoated.

It's easy to tell. If it wasn't cleared anyone who really polishes a black LS would eventually transfer black paint to their polishing cloth. Not just waxing, but if someone used some type of scratch remover or polishing compound on their car, the paint would transfer to the cloth.
Old 03-25-07, 03:24 PM
Craig B

Check the first post, he has paint on his pads. It doesn't have a clear coat.
I wouldn't use anything with cleaners or abrasives to polish a black car. I know, I've owned several black cars.

Regards,

Craig
Old 03-25-07, 03:45 PM
uthatch
Driver

Originally Posted by Craig B
Check the first post, he has paint on his pads. It doesn't have a clear coat.
I wouldn't use anything with cleaners or abrasives to polish a black car. I know, I've owned several black cars.

Regards,

Craig
I didn't bother to read the link pages previously, my apologies.

However, is it confirmed the dark area is paint not dirt as one person mentioned in the posts? It does not take long at all for a car to get enough dirt for a pad to pick it up. It's too hard to tell in the pictures if it's paint or dirt.

I'm not saying the color is definitly not single-stage, but it just seems very odd if it is.
Old 04-04-07, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm very interesting. i thought since 01 they started using clearcoat on the black already. if that's the case it's hard to believe they go back to single stage

plus, i can't remember anymore, isn't that the ls460 have the special multi stage paint with hand wet sanding in between? if that's the case, then it doesn't make sense for obsidian?
Old 04-18-07, 01:12 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My dealer and a very reputable body shop locally that does nothing but Infinitis, Acuras and Lexus'es both claim that the Obsidian Black is dual stage clear coated on the LS. Insurance companies pay an additional 30% for paint related claims specifically for the addition of two clear coats. Like he said, paint is just paint whether it is applied to a Beetle or an Lexus; in other words, the number of clear coats separates the men from the boys. Yes, it can be single stage on other non-Lexus cars, but this is not the case here. You can tell just by looking at it, but skeptics can get a hold of an electronic paint depth gauge to calm their fears. You'll need to do a little research on automotive coatings and their thicknesses beforehand though.

I mean, why would Lexus do this and risk the ire of the owner base they've been cultivating for years?

Rumours, rumours, rumours...
Old 04-18-07, 03:55 PM
uthatch
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
umm very interesting. i thought since 01 they started using clearcoat on the black already. if that's the case it's hard to believe they go back to single stage

plus, i can't remember anymore, isn't that the ls460 have the special multi stage paint with hand wet sanding in between? if that's the case, then it doesn't make sense for obsidian?
You can still rub paint between coats and when the finish is completed if it does not have clear, but I'm still inclined to believe that it's a basecoat/clearcoat system.
Old 04-18-07, 06:13 PM
itsme4g63
Driver

man that car is so clean and slick its like a huge mirror.

Quick Reply: Obsidian paint = Single Stage