LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Consumer Reports Slams LS500

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-19, 08:09 PM
glenneagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Consumer Reports Slams LS500

While CR rates Lexus the most reliable brand in the USA, it has just given a dismal, failing grade to the LS500 for reliability!!

They use a 5 point scale...Much Better than Average, Better than Average, Average, Worse than Average, Much Worse than Average.

Unbelievably, the LS500 is rated 1/5, MUCH WORSE FOR RELIABILITY THAN AVERAGE!!!!

All the stranger when you actually dig into their ratings:

MUCH BETTER THAN AVERAGE (11 items)

Engine Major
Engine Minor
Engine Cooling
Transmission Major
Fuel System
Electric System
Climate System
Suspension
Exhaust
Paint/Trim
Body Hardware

BETTER THAN AVERAGE (3)

Drive System
Power Equipment
In Car Electronics

AVERAGE (2)

Brakes
Body Integrity

WORSE THAN AVERAGE (1)

Transmission Minor

MUCH WORSE THAN AVERAGE (0)

NOTHING.NIL. ZERO

OVERALL RATING

MUCH WORSE THAN AVERAGE.

This is a mathematical impossibility.

The guys at Lexus better speak to the guys at Consumer Reports, and get this corrected. Fast!
Old 11-18-19, 09:01 PM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Consumer reports summed up the LS 500 as a “misfire” last year. They seem to randomly decide otherwise well-received cars are not up to their standards and they don’t re-evaluate as the model is improved. They just continue to trash it year after year. They hate Lexus Enform and the more features packed within Enform, the more they hate it.

I could understand something like a Tesla Model 3 or a modern Volvo getting low reliability due to poor infotainment as both brands are extremely limited by an inoperable touchscreen, but Lexus are still mostly functional if Enform is being buggy so it shouldn’t be as high up as an engine that tends to grenade or a CVT that lasts 10k miles.

However, to Consumer Reports, it is.
Old 11-18-19, 09:20 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by glenneagle
While CR rates Lexus the most reliable brand in the USA, it has just given a dismal, failing grade to the LS500 for reliability!!

They use a 5 point scale...Much Better than Average, Better than Average, Average, Worse than Average, Much Worse than Average.

Unbelievably, the LS500 is rated 1/5, MUCH WORSE FOR RELIABILITY THAN AVERAGE!!!!

All the stranger when you actually dig into their ratings:

MUCH BETTER THAN AVERAGE (11 items)

Engine Major
Engine Minor
Engine Cooling
Transmission Major
Fuel System
Electric System
Climate System
Suspension
Exhaust
Paint/Trim
Body Hardware

BETTER THAN AVERAGE (3)

Drive System
Power Equipment
In Car Electronics

AVERAGE (2)

Brakes
Body Integrity

WORSE THAN AVERAGE (1)

Transmission Minor

MUCH WORSE THAN AVERAGE (0)

NOTHING.NIL. ZERO

OVERALL RATING

MUCH WORSE THAN AVERAGE.

This is a mathematical impossibility.

The guys at Lexus better speak to the guys at Consumer Reports, and get this corrected. Fast!
is there an online link you can post for the scoring? Lexus responds well via twitter.

also, what does Body Integrity mean?
Old 11-20-19, 06:58 AM
100Cars
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I wonder what "Transmission minor" means, exactly.
Old 11-21-19, 06:38 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I subscribe to CR, so I just logged in to check on this. Sure enough, they're predicting worst reliability with no supporting ratings. Shows 1/5 for predicted reliability, but none of the items under that show any trouble spots. It does indeed look like a mistake to me.

I can't really show the whole thing because it's huge and all graphics, but essentially it looks like this:

(I believe this is why the OP listed the items under their ratings rather than trying to post of picture of all these weird icons).
Old 11-22-19, 05:27 AM
100Cars
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Consumer Reports has always had sloppy editing. This goes way back.
Old 11-22-19, 07:49 AM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

As a thought, do the arrows in each of RAG statuses mean anything? Ie, is consumer reports indicating reliability trend rather actual reliability for that year?
Old 11-22-19, 10:31 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
Consumer reports summed up the LS 500 as a “misfire” last year. They seem to randomly decide otherwise well-received cars are not up to their standards and they don’t re-evaluate as the model is improved. They just continue to trash it year after year. They hate Lexus Enform and the more features packed within Enform, the more they hate it.

I could understand something like a Tesla Model 3 or a modern Volvo getting low reliability due to poor infotainment as both brands are extremely limited by an inoperable touchscreen, but Lexus are still mostly functional if Enform is being buggy so it shouldn’t be as high up as an engine that tends to grenade or a CVT that lasts 10k miles.

However, to Consumer Reports, it is.
They did the same with Ford and Microsoft Sync when it was first launched. I think I remember them refusing to recommend any Ford vehicle that had Microsoft Sync.

I think CR serves a purpose, but I wouldn't buy/not buy something solely on their recommendation.
Old 11-22-19, 04:29 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vantage78
As a thought, do the arrows in each of RAG statuses mean anything? Ie, is consumer reports indicating reliability trend rather actual reliability for that year?
How it works is each year they ask members to submit surveys. They ask you what car you have (or still have), and what specific issues you had with it that year. They tabulate those responses to come up with the reliability scores. While the icons don't represent trends, in most car models you see more and more problems the older the cars are. The issue here is that the total reliability score doesn't make sense since none of the individual areas have low reliability. I will try to email them and see what they say.
The following users liked this post:
MrDOS (04-24-20)
Old 11-22-19, 07:07 PM
obsessed
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Consumer Reports Is Right

I have been to the Lexus dealer to check out the LS500. Relative to the all the LS series that preceded it, 400, 430 and 460 this car is an abomination.

The exterior is a cartoonish nightmare of overstyling. The interior is smaller, cramped, visibility compromised. The ergonomics of the

instrument panel are a horror. The simplest operation requires multiple steps with an infuriating mouse through a maze of menus

requiring WAY too much attention away from the road. Read the road test text that accompanies the rating...I agree with their findings.

The LS that we know and love is dead. I will never buy another one beyond the 2012. The LS430 was the high point for Lexus. The 460

was a slight downgrade. The 500 has fallen off a cliff.

Last edited by obsessed; 11-22-19 at 07:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by obsessed:
aypues (12-05-19), LS460Crown (12-03-19)
Old 11-22-19, 07:38 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Yeah, it's been well documented that owners that loved the old LS's typically don't like the new one. Lexus is after a younger customer here. That said, I don't think it's fair to continually criticize the new LS on the forum devoted to those young people that liked it well enough to buy or lease one.

My point in posting here was to say that Consumer Reports is doing a disservice to Toyota by publishing (apparently) incorrect reliability ratings.
Old 11-23-19, 07:44 AM
obsessed
Rookie

The Consumer Reports road test focused mostly on the misguided design and engineering choices Lexus has made...not the reliability.
The car is no longer as attractive, as comfortable, as user-friendly or as smooth as before. None of these issues affect reliability
but they greatly affect the pleasure of driving. Lexus had tried to turn the LS into a sports sedan. This is not the role of the LS.
If Lexus wants a sports sedan they should make one, not "repurpose" the LS. What they have now is a
Neither-Fish-Nor-Fowl mess. BTW, few "younger customers" are buying $80,000+ sedans. C.R. is not doing a disservice to
Toyota. Toyota is doing a disservice to their customers.

Last edited by obsessed; 11-23-19 at 07:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by obsessed:
aypues (12-05-19), LS460Crown (12-03-19)
Old 11-23-19, 08:16 AM
clemgrad85
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DerrickM
Yeah, it's been well documented that owners that loved the old LS's typically don't like the new one. Lexus is after a younger customer here. That said, I don't think it's fair to continually criticize the new LS on the forum devoted to those young people that liked it well enough to buy or lease one.

My point in posting here was to say that Consumer Reports is doing a disservice to Toyota by publishing (apparently) incorrect reliability ratings.
Well.....I guess I was one of those as I left 3 years ago for the Volvo S90. I just didn't like the front end and maybe after 17 years wanted to try another type of car. While the S90 was a good car, and I got a ton of compliments on it, I kept seeing the LS500 on the road and it would catch my attention. I slowly began to get more comfortable with the front end, and as I have said in another post or two, I went back to test drive it. I know people in here have said it isn't as big inside, and don't like it because they took the V-8 away, but when I took it for a test drive I instantly remembered why I liked the LS before....the smooth and quiet drive. I'm not a heavy guy, so I have plenty of room inside and the V-6 gives me plenty of power. I've only had it for a week, but dang, just an enjoyable drive. Perhaps that is just because the S90 was a good bit below the LS and so the difference for me was more noticeable making the jump back to Lexus and the LS. I was quite concerned about the touch pad when reading reviews, but it works fine for me. I think those that do the test drives just don't have enough time with it to get comfortable with it. So after just 1 week, I am still quite happy with the purchase. Maybe I could have gotten the price down a little more, but no buyers remorse at this point and hopefully it will be a reliable car for at least the next 3 years (single pay lease period).
The following 2 users liked this post by clemgrad85:
RussLS460 (12-26-19), sha4000 (11-30-19)
Old 11-23-19, 09:09 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by obsessed
Lexus had tried to turn the LS into a sports sedan. This is not the role of the LS.
I think the role of the LS is Lexus's decision, not yours. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.
The following users liked this post:
MrDOS (04-24-20)
Old 11-23-19, 10:20 AM
obsessed
Rookie

Originally Posted by dsc07
I think the role of the LS is Lexus's decision, not yours. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.

Of course, it's a Lexus decision. As an LS owner
I have a right and a responsibility to express
an opinion when I think they are making a mistake. And you are correct...I will try to
​​​​​​keep my LS running as long as possible as I will not be buying another until/unless Lexus
rediscovers sensible and ergonomic design. R.I.P. LS.

Last edited by obsessed; 01-16-20 at 09:11 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by obsessed:
Johnny Rad (11-24-19), LS460Crown (12-03-19), sha4000 (11-30-19)

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Slams LS500