LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

An Odd question for next upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-19, 05:52 AM
BJOSE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default An Odd question for next upgrade

UPDATE : I ended up purchasing the LS. Thank you for all the thoughts.

Hello All,
My lease for current GS350 will be up in 6 months and I have started looking in to what is the next car.
2 cars bubbles up to the top
1)LS500 base with ML Audio
2)Benz E450

Both are in the same general cost band
things that are important to me are
1)Comfort
2)Occasional spirited highway driving
3)Reliability/less maintenance
4)Good Audio
5)Reasonable space(cannot be less than GS)
6)Apple car play
7)700-900 range in lease.

That brought be to those 2 cars. Did any of you, by any chance, compared these 2 cars? I know they are probably diff kinds. But want to take a chance and ask if anyone actually compared these 2 and have any advise.
thanks in advance,

Last edited by BJOSE; 03-22-19 at 01:06 PM. Reason: ended up buying LS, so closing the topic.
Old 02-12-19, 08:46 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BJOSE
Hello All,
My lease for current GS350 will be up in 6 months and I have started looking in to what is the next car.
2 cars bubbles up to the top
1)LS500 base with ML Audio
2)Benz E450

Both are in the same general cost band
things that are important to me are
1)Comfort
2)Occasional spirited highway driving
3)Reliability/less maintenance
4)Good Audio
5)Reasonable space(cannot be less than GS)
6)Apple car play
7)700-900 range in lease.

That brought be to those 2 cars. Did any of you, by any chance, compared these 2 cars? I know they are probably diff kinds. But want to take a chance and ask if anyone actually compared these 2 and have any advise.
thanks in advance,
I did not compare that one but same body was the E63 which a friend wanted me to get into, which was fast but I found it to be uncomfortable compared to the LS. I also compared the LS and the BMW 7 series which were very nice BMW I did like, but the reliability won me over. The BMW is comfortable and also very easy to drive for its size. If you are comparing the E450 I would say the LS is better for comfort, and also most of your list is checked off with the LS not with the E450. Hope this helps a little even though they are different beasts.
Old 02-12-19, 10:02 AM
BJOSE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigblack06
I did not compare that one but same body was the E63 which a friend wanted me to get into, which was fast but I found it to be uncomfortable compared to the LS. I also compared the LS and the BMW 7 series which were very nice BMW I did like, but the reliability won me over. The BMW is comfortable and also very easy to drive for its size. If you are comparing the E450 I would say the LS is better for comfort, and also most of your list is checked off with the LS not with the E450. Hope this helps a little even though they are different beasts.
Thank you Sir. you moved from GS to LS. How do you like it? Did you ever feel like the cost increase of the move is not justified? or are you completely happy with the choice you made?
Old 02-12-19, 10:21 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I had a '14 GS but not right before my LS. The GS was a great driver's car. But also slow. With the LS, you'll lose sportiness but gain acceleration.

The S-class is a better comparison to the LS. You could get a decent discount on a S-class because it's an old generation but keep in mind the next gen is right around the corner. Also, you'd probably have to get the v6 to keep the payments in your range
Old 02-12-19, 10:23 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

And the audio in the LS isn't that great to me. I would imagine the Burmester is better in the E. I know for a fact it's better in the S.
Old 02-12-19, 12:28 PM
BJOSE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRuger
I had a '14 GS but not right before my LS. The GS was a great driver's car. But also slow. With the LS, you'll lose sportiness but gain acceleration.

The S-class is a better comparison to the LS. You could get a decent discount on a S-class because it's an old generation but keep in mind the next gen is right around the corner. Also, you'd probably have to get the v6 to keep the payments in your range
Thank you . Is the sportiness any better in LS500F , or does it sacrifice comfort and quietness too much?
Old 02-12-19, 12:59 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Thank you . Is the sportiness any better in LS500F , or does it sacrifice comfort and quietness too much?
The time I tried to test drive a f-sport LS, the dealer refused me a test drive unless they ran my credit. But after some research I realized you can't get the fsport with massaging seats so I didn't have interest in the fsport anymore .
Old 02-13-19, 03:23 AM
BJOSE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexRuger
The time I tried to test drive a f-sport LS, the dealer refused me a test drive unless they ran my credit. But after some research I realized you can't get the fsport with massaging seats so I didn't have interest in the fsport anymore .
Thank you! really appreciate you sharing your experience.
Old 02-13-19, 03:37 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Thank you Sir. you moved from GS to LS. How do you like it? Did you ever feel like the cost increase of the move is not justified? or are you completely happy with the choice you made?
The cost increase is noticed more in the interior quality as there is more leather in the car. I would say the LS is def worth the price they have it at, as it isnt Mercedes or BMW yet but very close in my opinion. I would say I'm happy with it but a little disappointed that the front is basically the same leg room as the GS, I really think they could have fixed that but it doesn't bother me that much. you will lose a little sportiness in the F-Sport as the car can still handle itself pretty good on twisty roads, I would implore you to test drive the LS first as our opinions at the end of the day are ours and only you can decide whether it feels right.
Old 03-21-19, 03:55 PM
epstns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're considering the E450, be really critical in listening to the sound system. The comments on the MB forum are ambivalent to downright negative on the Burmester systems. My own experience is to compare the previous generation Harmon Kardon system in my 2015 E-Class to the ML system in my old LS430. The system in the old LS was head and shoulders better in SQ than the HK in the E-Class. Burmester, to me, sounds tubby, with poorly defined and weak bass. The weak bass is a MB tradition, as is the interior design that leaves you absolutely no place to mount a decent-sized woofer, other than a trunk box. Even my old LS had a solid 8-inch woofer in the parcel shelf. The E-Class MB's have too much other stuff mounted through the parcel shelf (power sun shades, etc.), so they use some odd proprietary-shaped woofers that sound clean, but have thin output.
Old 03-22-19, 01:05 PM
BJOSE
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by epstns
If you're considering the E450, be really critical in listening to the sound system. The comments on the MB forum are ambivalent to downright negative on the Burmester systems. My own experience is to compare the previous generation Harmon Kardon system in my 2015 E-Class to the ML system in my old LS430. The system in the old LS was head and shoulders better in SQ than the HK in the E-Class. Burmester, to me, sounds tubby, with poorly defined and weak bass. The weak bass is a MB tradition, as is the interior design that leaves you absolutely no place to mount a decent-sized woofer, other than a trunk box. Even my old LS had a solid 8-inch woofer in the parcel shelf. The E-Class MB's have too much other stuff mounted through the parcel shelf (power sun shades, etc.), so they use some odd proprietary-shaped woofers that sound clean, but have thin output.

Thank you ! I ended up purchasing the LS
Old 03-22-19, 01:48 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Thank you ! I ended up purchasing the LS
Good choice