Thoughts on the LS 500 from a 32 yr old - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460 and LS460 F.

Thoughts on the LS 500 from a 32 yr old

 
Old 02-09-19, 04:10 AM
  #16  
charley95
Lexus Test Driver
 
charley95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: il.
Posts: 1,023
Thanks: 0
Thanked 70 Times in 65 Posts
Default

If that's your thing, then go for it. If your buying for long term after warranty you'll regret it. Do you really believe what a salesman says? If I had to have a MB I would get rid of the car before the warranty expires.
charley95 is online now  
Old 02-09-19, 10:25 AM
  #17  
vantage78
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by charley95 View Post
If that's your thing, then go for it. If your buying for long term after warranty you'll regret it. Do you really believe what a salesman says? If I had to have a MB I would get rid of the car before the warranty expires.
Agreed. I did exactly that. W221 with extended warranty; got rid of it as soon as it ended. I probably got like 3x the value of what I paid for my extended warranty. Even though out of pocket costs were minimal due to the warranty, itís the time and hassle of having drop off your car to get warranty work done. Resale value also takes a huge hit; there is a large spread between trade in values and sale prices because people are scared about what lurks under an unwarranted Mercedes and what it would take to get it ready. Not trying to discourage anyone, I thought the S class was a great drive. But the reality is, it will be much more expensive after warranty and I donít think the W222 moves the reliability bar any further.
vantage78 is offline  
Old 02-09-19, 10:39 AM
  #18  
LexRuger
Lexus Test Driver
 
LexRuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,338
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vantage78 View Post


Agreed. I did exactly that. W221 with extended warranty; got rid of it as soon as it ended. I probably got like 3x the value of what I paid for my extended warranty. Even though out of pocket costs were minimal due to the warranty, itís the time and hassle of having drop off your car to get warranty work done. Resale value also takes a huge hit; there is a large spread between trade in values and sale prices because people are scared about what lurks under an unwarranted Mercedes and what it would take to get it ready. Not trying to discourage anyone, I thought the S class was a great drive. But the reality is, it will be much more expensive after warranty and I donít think the W222 moves the reliability bar any further.
I know the feeling. I had a CPO 7 series for only a year. It was in the shop about 4 times because they kept misdiagnosing something. Taking time out of your day to drop your car off is a huge hassle.

Everyone tells me a used Benz or BMW is the way to go because the previous owner has paid for all the depreciation and you get a luxury car at a bargain but who wants to be in and out of cheap loaners every few months?
LexRuger is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 12:49 PM
  #19  
Fwyt
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: California
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LexRuger View Post
I know the feeling. I had a CPO 7 series for only a year. It was in the shop about 4 times because they kept misdiagnosing something. Taking time out of your day to drop your car off is a huge hassle.

Everyone tells me a used Benz or BMW is the way to go because the previous owner has paid for all the depreciation and you get a luxury car at a bargain but who wants to be in and out of cheap loaners every few months?
this sums up mb quality...
https://www.instagram.com/fat_cars/p...=1noiy0hp2mmmn
Fwyt is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 01:06 PM
  #20  
LexRuger
Lexus Test Driver
 
LexRuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,338
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Fwyt View Post
LMAO. Poor Mercedes
LexRuger is offline  
Old 02-13-19, 06:57 PM
  #21  
AustinHusk
Driver
 
AustinHusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 196
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

what language is that?
AustinHusk is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 04:50 AM
  #22  
bigblack06
Moderator
iTrader: (19)
 
bigblack06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Beantown
Posts: 6,363
Thanked 75 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Smh sadly someone will purchase that.
bigblack06 is offline  
Old 02-14-19, 09:36 AM
  #23  
LexRuger
Lexus Test Driver
 
LexRuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,338
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I just saw a interior spy shot of the w223. The infotaintment screen is huge. Reminds me a lot of the Tesla. The dash will probably have close to no buttons. Not sure if I would like that.
LexRuger is offline  
Old 02-25-19, 06:44 AM
  #24  
WaterFish
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ontario
Posts: 70
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Default

This post actually caught my eye. I am also in my early 30s and was deciding either on the LC and the GSF.

In the end I chose the GSF as it had enough room for the baby, and I was still able to bring it to the tracks.
WaterFish is offline  
Old 02-28-19, 08:49 PM
  #25  
Bimmer32
Driver
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 194
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

You don't hear much about value on BMW and MB forums; my subjective opinion is that people typically lease these cars, so reliability is a small factor. It's all about the lease deals. For owners, it's about getting the extended warranty after the manufacturer warranty. But on Lexus forum like this, it's about "value." So regardless of age and preference in the "luxury" department, the common theme here is what "value" the vehicle brings.

My value proposition changes as I age and determinant of end usage. If I want to have fun, value is lower on the priority. You can can have lots of fun in a LS, but more fun can be had in a MB or BMW variant. When I'm busing the family around, I'd rather do it in a Lexus.
Bimmer32 is offline  
Old 03-01-19, 11:17 AM
  #26  
hacker_720
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 202
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WaterFish View Post
This post actually caught my eye. I am also in my early 30s and was deciding either on the LC and the GSF.

In the end I chose the GSF as it had enough room for the baby, and I was still able to bring it to the tracks.
I'm also in my 30's and I was also deciding between a GS F and an LS500 (coming from a GS350 and IS F). I've always wanted a GS-F, but it was just too small, the GS350 was very tight for me, so much so that I drove my big dumb truck (Tundra 1794) everywhere. I'm 6'4" with most of my height in my torso, the thing I LOVE about the LS500 is that it's low and long so I can recline my seat and a human can still sit behind me.
hacker_720 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: