ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-5th-gen-2018-present-289/)
-   -   Thoughts on the LS 500 from a 32 yr old (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-5th-gen-2018-present/907704-thoughts-on-the-ls-500-from-a-32-yr-old.html)

Fwyt 12-29-18 08:14 PM

Thoughts on the LS 500 from a 32 yr old

Hey guys,

So after a few years of dailying track focused sports car (2012 GTR, 2015 GT3, 2016 GT4, 2017 Mini Cooper JCW and 2015 RC F). I have decided that I need something more comfortable and more isolated. Oh and yes, I had all those but none had more than 2 doors.

So I just picked up a LS 500 F Sport RWD, just before the holidays. After a few days of driving here are my thoughts. I picked up a pretty basic Ls, so no fancy air suspensions... just the ML stereo and the pano roof.

I was cross shopping between the S Class and the LS and found the LS to be just perfect.

The suspension is just stiff enough for the car to feel nimble and just soft enough to be comfortable. I am honestly surprised at how much I enjoy driving the LS.

The car does feel very heavy during take off, and I feel like Lexus could have made the throttle more sensitive. But once the car picks up it’s actually pretty quick. It actually feel faster than my 2015 RC F. The engine is just so butter smooth and I am starting to like this! I actually like the “fake” engine noise from the sport S/+ model a lot. I like how the car has isolated all the wind noise and just kept the engine sound. I was very surprised about this, I thought I would hate it.

In terms of build quality, the LS actually feel slightly above the S Class to me. On the basic S class, there are still lots of plastic bits on the interior, whereas in the LS everything that I could touch, even the hidden panels appears to cover in leather. The S Class interior does look more flashy and fancy to me tho. But once you look pass the glamor, the LS seems to be the better quality one. But the ML speaker cover do feel kind of cheap and it would be much better if all of them are metal instead, especially those on the roof.

The turning radius is surprisingly good to me, even tho my car does not have the rear wheel steering, and this is coming from someone who is used to driving a Mini Cooper!

Carnut12 12-30-18 05:46 AM

Congrats sounds like a really nice car!!! I am going to look at an F-Sport today, I am leaning towards the F Sport, but I plan to look at the none F also with the upgraded interior, I do love the Brown Upgraded interior on the White Exterior.

bigblack06 12-30-18 05:52 PM

Congrats, I feel the same way about the ML speaker, wish the front was metal like they made the back ones. I agree the engine is smooth and I have been driving in comfort and although it's not floaty it's perfect. For the power delivery, get the Toms power box it fixes that issue with the delay.

charley95 12-30-18 06:49 PM

I must ask, was the Mini in the shop frequently? A family member had one and hated it due to constantly being in the shop for repairs. I've read they are one of the lowest quality cars on the road today next to the Fiat. Not trying to be rude but I've never read much good about them.

Fwyt 12-30-18 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by charley95 (Post 10396785)
I must ask, was the Mini in the shop frequently? A family member had one and hated it due to constantly being in the shop for repairs. I've read they are one of the lowest quality cars on the road today next to the Fiat. Not trying to be rude but I've never read much good about them.

The JCW mini has actually been pretty reliable so far. We have had it for 2 years and 3 months now. It’s a 2017 model year. Just had regular oil change done. But the car is starting to have rattle everywhere. The door handle would squeak every time you pull on it. The plastic feels like it’s about to give in. Also the metals feels kind of thin.

The 2015 GT3 was a huge nightmare, which we bought brand new. It was in the shop literally every month. I drove the cayenne loaner more than the GT3...

But the GT4 in the other hand has been rock solid and I certainly didn’t treat it any nicer...

angrypengu 12-31-18 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fwyt (Post 10396190)
In terms of build quality, the LS actually feel slightly above the S Class to me. On the basic S class, there are still lots of plastic bits on the interior, whereas in the LS everything that I could touch, even the hidden panels appears to cover in leather. The S Class interior does look more flashy and fancy to me tho. But once you look pass the glamor, the LS seems to be the better quality one. But the ML speaker cover do feel kind of cheap and it would be much better if all of them are metal instead, especially those on the roof.

Finally I'm pleased to read that Lexus has found their target customer (by age!). I'm slightly younger than you and chose the '19 A8L and have been baffled at who Lexus was trying to sell to. In your post, I found that what I disliked about the LS you actually liked, so glad to have read your post.

As far as what I quoted you saying, you're bang on. There's a lot of cheap parts in the W222, and the post FL version is worse. There's even an option in all the W222s to add the "exclusive package" which is an extra wood trim piece in the doors (and some other pieces), and I'm sitting there going, wait, what? You want to charge me $3900 CAD for 'true leather' (on the dash IIRC), and that wood piece in the door? Go to hell MB!

Standard on the Lexus, and Standard on the Audi, as they should be. I get upselling on an E or C class, but on an S? 'no, hell no, because the S is already another $15K to $20K MORE for the base model versus the LS and the A8.

I love MB cars. I own one right now while I wait for the A8, and I gave up a LOT to move to Audi (loyalty rates etc), but MB has lost me as a customer. It was a GREAT car and an incredibly reliable car (the one I own(ed)), but no, I hate how MB is cheapening everything, and how they are diluting their brand with the A/B class etc, but anyways, I digress.

All this to say: CONGRATS on the 5LS from someone in his 30s to you :)

Fwyt 12-31-18 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 10397614)
Finally I'm pleased to read that Lexus has found their target customer (by age!). I'm slightly younger than you and chose the '19 A8L and have been baffled at who Lexus was trying to sell to. In your post, I found that what I disliked about the LS you actually liked, so glad to have read your post.

As far as what I quoted you saying, you're bang on. There's a lot of cheap parts in the W222, and the post FL version is worse. There's even an option in all the W222s to add the "exclusive package" which is an extra wood trim piece in the doors (and some other pieces), and I'm sitting there going, wait, what? You want to charge me $3900 CAD for 'true leather' (on the dash IIRC), and that wood piece in the door? Go to hell MB!

Standard on the Lexus, and Standard on the Audi, as they should be. I get upselling on an E or C class, but on an S? 'no, hell no, because the S is already another $15K to $20K MORE for the base model versus the LS and the A8.

I love MB cars. I own one right now while I wait for the A8, and I gave up a LOT to move to Audi (loyalty rates etc), but MB has lost me as a customer. It was a GREAT car and an incredibly reliable car (the one I own(ed)), but no, I hate how MB is cheapening everything, and how they are diluting their brand with the A/B class etc, but anyways, I digress.

Thanks! But I don’t know if I am the the right customer that Lexus should target. I guess there aren’t many 30 sth that has similar preferences as me. At least none of my friends are all that interested in the LS. Most would have picked the A8 or S Class actually.

I’m just at a stage in life that I want to keep a relatively low profile but don’t want to give up too much on luxury/performance.

angrypengu 12-31-18 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fwyt (Post 10397622)

Thanks! But I don’t know if I am the the right customer that Lexus should target. I guess there aren’t many 30 sth that has similar preferences as me. At least none of my friends are all that interested in the LS. Most would have picked the A8 or S Class actually.

I’m just at a stage in life that I want to keep a relatively low profile but don’t want to give up too much on luxury/performance.

Oh heck I can absolutely attest to the last statement in your post which I quoted above which is another reason I went with the A8, but to me, none of these automakers should be targeting any of us in our age group. We, like any customers of these flagships, are lucky to be able afford these cars, but why Lexus has chosen folks in their 30s as their target group is beyond me.

The target market for the A8 and S class is clearly the older generation which places a priority on comfort, but Lexus has chosen to do something different. I disagree with Lexus but they can do whatever they want....just as their customers can.

I'm just super pleased to read that a fellow poster pretty much the same age as me has bought a 5LS for the reasons that Lexus designed said car!

AustinHusk 01-19-19 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by angrypengu (Post 10397614)
[/left]

I'm kind'a in a conundrum too betw. the S and LS FSport but not sure I buy the whole " SClass parts are cheaper" narrative.

I have owned a couple of S63's (2009 and older) and am seriously considering the new S w/AMG Sports trim but due the massive cost diff. I'm very hesitant. THAT and the fact that I had a bad experience with MB cust. serv. as well as the dealership.

But I didn't see any cheap parts inside... or maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Fwyt 01-19-19 04:08 PM

It was my subjective opinion that the S class have cheaper material. Not objective in any means. For example, the front interior door trim on the LS are actually covered in real leather. On the S Class the upper and lower panel are both just hard plastic that looks like leather. The side door pocket on the LS is also covered with soft padding, not found in the S Class. The leather in the base S Class (without the nappa leather option) is pretty stiff.

To me the benz seem pretty good quality until you actually look closely. The Lexus on the other hand doesn't look all that special, but when you actually live with it, you start noticing all the details and craftmanship.

Now, of cause, you can get the Maybach and option up the S Class to get everything cover in exotic material.

Originally Posted by AustinHusk (Post 10414466)
I'm kind'a in a conundrum too betw. the S and LS FSport but not sure I buy the whole " SClass parts are cheaper" narrative.

I have owned a couple of S63's (2009 and older) and am seriously considering the new S w/AMG Sports trim but due the massive cost diff. I'm very hesitant. THAT and the fact that I had a bad experience with MB cust. serv. as well as the dealership.

AustinHusk 01-20-19 10:49 PM

I can live with that explanation.
Will test drive another S Class next week....

angrypengu 01-21-19 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by AustinHusk (Post 10414466)

Just do yourself a favour and open/close the cupholder cover. Just start there. The flimsiness of that construction piece is a fail for a 6 figure car.

Fwyt touched on the other points well.

AustinHusk 02-08-19 08:45 AM

Just wanted to provide an update: I test drove the S560 yesterday.
Wow:ohyeah:
Great car - unbelievable driving experience. After the test drive the the salesman of course put the full court press on me to commit/buy. First thing I told him was that I have concerns about reliability issues. He told me that's a grandma's myth from 20 yrs ago and that MB is actually just as reliable as Lex. He then went on to tell me how the LS interior looks very odd/dated/plain compared to MB's int. options. He said LB engine is way better, etc.
I'm leaning towards the 560..so I have some thinking to do now...

LexRuger 02-08-19 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by AustinHusk (Post 10434040)
Just wanted to provide an update: I test drove the S560 yesterday.
Wow:ohyeah:
Great car - unbelievable driving experience. After the test drive the the salesman of course put the full court press on me to commit/buy. First thing I told him was that I have concerns about reliability issues. He told me that's a grandma's myth from 20 yrs ago and that MB is actually just as reliable as Lex. He then went on to tell me how the LS interior looks very odd/dated/plain compared to MB's int. options. He said LB engine is way better, etc.
I'm leaning towards the 560..so I have some thinking to do now...

Of course they are gonna make the MB sound better. It's his job to sell the car.

I almost pulled the trigger on a s450 but keep in mind the next gen s class should be out next year at the latest. I've already been seeing spy shots for awhile. Some people may not care but I do.

MB reliability has gotten better recently. If you're leasing, I doubt you'll have problems.

Fwyt 02-08-19 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by LexRuger (Post 10434162)
Of course they are gonna make the MB sound better. It's his job to sell the car.

I almost pulled the trigger on a s450 but keep in mind the next gen s class should be out next year at the latest. I've already been seeing spy shots for awhile. Some people may not care but I do.

MB reliability has gotten better recently. If you're leasing, I doubt you'll have problems.

I think the reliability part is true. For the first three years at least, there won’t be any issue.