LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Lane Assist Wandering

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 08:19 AM
Ravill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lane Assist Wandering

I'm in the middle of a longish road trip and I find that the lane assist resembles a bowling ball going down the lane with those "helper" bumper things up. Its kind of annoying.

Sometimes, once every few minutes, it seems like I'm fighting it. I will let go of the wheel and it will go towards the edge of the lane and then correct itself. It seems like its trying too hard.

In my S8 it seemed a little less intrusive.

What have you guys/gals witnessed?
Old 12-13-18, 03:52 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
I'm in the middle of a longish road trip and I find that the lane assist resembles a bowling ball going down the lane with those "helper" bumper things up. Its kind of annoying.

Sometimes, once every few minutes, it seems like I'm fighting it. I will let go of the wheel and it will go towards the edge of the lane and then correct itself. It seems like its trying too hard.

In my S8 it seemed a little less intrusive.

What have you guys/gals witnessed?
Yep feel the same, I would have to agree. I have noticed the same thing as well.
Old 12-13-18, 07:44 AM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've tested the LKA quite a bit during my road trips and noticed the same thing. The Lexus version is not very refined. The car ends up bouncing between the left and right lane markers. I've found the best way is to keep a light grip on the steering wheel and the car will sort of keep it in the middle. If you let go completely, it veers left/right and then goes back to the middle.
Old 12-17-18, 12:41 PM
cuzi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you driving a model with the Safety System + A or without? I've had loaners without the system and agree on what you are experiencing. But my model has the more advanced system and I have to say it's drives pretty straight and in the center of the lane...
Old 12-18-18, 10:56 AM
Ravill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cuzi
Are you driving a model with the Safety System + A or without? I've had loaners without the system and agree on what you are experiencing. But my model has the more advanced system and I have to say it's drives pretty straight and in the center of the lane...
I have the advanced A+ system with the two cameras as well.

It is totally useful, but it can be a pain sometimes too.
Old 12-19-18, 06:21 AM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by franklexus
I've tested the LKA quite a bit during my road trips and noticed the same thing. The Lexus version is not very refined. The car ends up bouncing between the left and right lane markers. I've found the best way is to keep a light grip on the steering wheel and the car will sort of keep it in the middle. If you let go completely, it veers left/right and then goes back to the middle.
It's not specific to Lexus. The 2019 A8's LKA system is also useless, despite it also having a lidar scanner (not used for LKA, but for ACC). As a person who enjoys driving, the system was not worth the $3K price tag so I declined it.

That said, it was on par to the LS500 to me. Both were not usable, although if you put a gun to my head, I'd say maybe the LS500 was marginally better.

That said though, I test drove a 2015 S550 (and a 2018 one), and both were as perfect as can be. I have no idea what MB is doing that Audi/Lexus is not. Heck, the Genesis G90 I drove had LKA that did a good enough job, even on city roads, for me to use it!
Old 12-20-18, 01:48 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Every car with LKA I've driven has done the same ping-ponging back and forth from right marker to left marker and back, with the exception of the Genesis G90 (I had a 2017). For whatever reason, that system seemed much better equipped to keep the car centered in the lane, even around sweeping curves. It did give out a really annoying warning squawk if you left your hands off the wheel for more than 15 seconds, though, which was pretty common for me since the car steered so well using the LKA.