LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Turbo Lag and Headroom Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-18, 11:06 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Turbo Lag and Headroom Questions

I have driven 2 AWD non F Sport and in both of them when flooring the car from a complete stop there has been a noticeable lag before the car moves. Even under normal acceleration there seems to be a slight lag before the car responds. The salesman said that the car would learn as you drive and adjust to where the lag goes away. While I don't floor my cars regularly I tend to accelerate quickly away from stops. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the turbo lag when new and it has improved after it gets accustomed to your driving style.

For me I am still on the fence because there is a lot to like about the car but the decreased interior room is something to be concerned with. I am 5'10" but regularly have adults 6'1" to 6'3" in my LS 430 and at least one of them would have to be in the back. Even with the standard moonroof it seems like someone 6' or taller would have their head touching the roof unless they slouch.

It is interesting that Lexus makes the car longer and the interior smaller
Old 11-22-18, 12:07 PM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I experienced the lag when new, but it went away after I filled it up with premium (high octane) gasoline. I alternate between Costco premium and Shell V-Power Nitro. There has been no lag. My guess is that the dealership filled it up with regular gas when it was delivered.
Old 11-22-18, 08:34 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,349 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
I have driven 2 AWD non F Sport and in both of them when flooring the car from a complete stop there has been a noticeable lag before the car moves. Even under normal acceleration there seems to be a slight lag before the car responds. The salesman said that the car would learn as you drive and adjust to where the lag goes away. While I don't floor my cars regularly I tend to accelerate quickly away from stops. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the turbo lag when new and it has improved after it gets accustomed to your driving style.

For me I am still on the fence because there is a lot to like about the car but the decreased interior room is something to be concerned with. I am 5'10" but regularly have adults 6'1" to 6'3" in my LS 430 and at least one of them would have to be in the back. Even with the standard moonroof it seems like someone 6' or taller would have their head touching the roof unless they slouch.

I noticed 'lag' the first time I drove one, but quickly realized it's throttle response and not turbo lag. When I put the car in sport mode is was a totally different drive. I think the LS makes its 442 torque at like 1600rpm, it should pull hard from a stop!

Also, have you had any taller people in the back yet? I'm 6'2 and fit in the back easily. The back is more roomy than the front!
Old 01-18-19, 08:54 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm 6' 4" with most of my height in my torso. I can (just) fit comfortably in the front seats if I recline it a bit more than 'normal'. I currently own a 1794 Tundra and a 2013 GS350. My head touches the roof in the Tundra and I'm very uncomfortable in the GS. The problem with most cars is that if I recline the seat so my head it no longer touching there is no room behind me, even for a child. What I love about the LS is that I can recline the seat and a normal person can sit behind me. As for the rear, I can not sit comfortably, my head is pushed into the headliner if I sit correctly in the seats, I bet even someone one inch shorter would be fine. This was in the LS500 Luxury package. I feel that the concept with the new LS is that it's more of a 4 door sports car and the passengers should be more reclined, I test drove it with my family, with each of us a little more reclined than 'normal' and we were all very comfortable.
Old 01-18-19, 11:39 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951

So I will say that sport + does help that but for the most part getting the toms boost module helps it. the turbo lag was pretty bad, almost felt like my first GS when you used to floor it there would be a delay then full power hit. I'm hoping they will have an update for this fix though.
Also I'm 6' 4" and I always touch the top but if I position myself I avoid touching and also hitting the roof, which is my main concern. All the way back there is plenty of room for a grown adult, love that as well.
Old 01-18-19, 05:35 PM
vantage78
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Haven’t noticed any turbo lag. Accelerating from a stop feels fluid, as does everything else in this car. Also, coming from a W221 with the turbo 8, I feel this turbo 6 gives nothing up in terms of power, only sound.