Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Are turbo timers really that necessary

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 06:02 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are turbo timers really that necessary

Like the title says, are turbo timers really needed?
Ive seen just as many cars without them as with them.
Factory turbo cars don't have them.

What are your experiences with using a turbo timer? Do they actually increase the longevity of the turbo?
Or is it better just not to drive hard before parking the car? Since we all know that a turbo timer keeps the car running to allow the turbo to "cool down"
but at that point, the oil in your engine is already hot so you are trying to cool a turbo with warm oil. makes no sense to me.
Am I missing something?
Debate!
Old 03-06-14, 09:22 AM
xiaolong
Driver

not necessary. If I just get done running my car, I just sit in the car for about a minute or so with it running. IMO, thats a showy mod, and does nothing but invite problems.

edit: by problems, I mean people looking at your car after you walk away, trying to break in and steal it, or a cop trying to give you a ticket for leaving your car running and unattended.
Old 03-06-14, 10:15 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I got one in my Z. Haven't used it for awhile. I've heard if your turbos are both water and oil cooled then you don't really need turbo timer. After a spirited drive I just let it idle for a few seconds before I turn it off.
Old 03-06-14, 10:17 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the same questions when I first started to build my car. I went ahead and bought one just for the piece of mind. You can change the length by hitting a button or two, nothing major. I have not had any turbo related problems with mine yet. I only speculate that the timer has increased the life and limited the known issues that others have had w/o it. This is an only assumption of mine. I like the piece of mind. Two issues I have with mine, is if I were involved in an accident and car still kept running, and I cant lock the doors while the car is running, even with the aftermarket alarm. I have to wait. Sometimes I get impatinct and kill the timer, due to the area I am in, I dont trust.
Old 03-06-14, 11:28 AM
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

There is no need for them as long as you wait the extra minute to minute and a half. It gives the oil enough time to cool do so that when the engine is shut off and begins it's heat up cycle (Because the engine does heat up a bit after you shut it off) that the oil doesn't heat soak from the hot turbine and "Coke up" or carbonize within the turbo. If you get done whooping your car a little it's wise to start taming it down as you get closer to your destination, and allowing the extra minute or 2 after for everything to go back to "normal." Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-14, 11:49 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

I never planned on using one, just curious as to why people use them.
I don't really see the purpose of one.
Old 03-06-14, 11:51 AM
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mecheng10
I never planned on using one, just curious as to why people use them.
I don't really see the purpose of one.
In short: They are lazy. Just my opinion though...
Old 03-06-14, 12:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I never use one. I just try not to get on it for the last mile or 2 on the way back home.
If I do get on it then I just let it cool for like 30 seconds and that is about it but I try not to get on it before I park it.
Reason is because I don't believe letting it idle with no airflow over the hot engine/turbo/bay for any amount of time really allows the turbo to cool significantly. if I get on the turbo hard and then immediately park it, it smells like burnt oil even if I let it idle a bunch.

So the best way to cool down your turbo and not boil your oil is by not boosting and letting it cool down while driving like its supossed to. a turbo timer is not a replacement for common sense so you can boost right till you park it, but it does help a little bit (not enough for me to install one).
I also change my oil very regularly and use the synthetic stuff of course.

If you like to let it idle a bunch to cool off then it is very usefull to have the timer because you don't have to sit there and breathe in all the exhaust / oil smells.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-06-14 at 12:27 PM.