LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Ls500 trans issue fix! - shift bump when slowing to a stop / r to d shift delay

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-19, 06:10 AM
Ravill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, my car has a HUGE delay when going R to D when cold. I've even spun the tires after the transmission "clunks" into D. I'll be giving my dealer a call.
Old 01-05-19, 08:39 AM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
Yeah, my car has a HUGE delay when going R to D when cold. I've even spun the tires after the transmission "clunks" into D. I'll be giving my dealer a call.
The TSB mentioned in the first post on this thread will definitely fix that.
Old 01-06-19, 11:08 AM
Dick32
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default LS 500 transmission problem

2018 LS 500 Purchased Feb. 2018

Transmission has a bump after shifting from reverse to drive since I purchased the car.

Four to five times in the last eight months the car will only accelerate to 8 mph and no faster for the first hundred feet when going from reverse to drive. I must shut the car off and restart to correct this problem. The cars behind me really get pissed when I have to stop and restart. To keep from holding up traffic I recently found if I keep pumping the accelerator fast then the engine will shutter and vibrate then it will start to accelerate.

Today (12/19) this problem with very slow acceleration happened when backing into the street from my drive. Car refused to accelerate in reverse. This is a first time it happened when backing up. Again, in would not go over 8 mph when I shifted into drive. This was very dangerous. The on coming traffic had to brake fast because I was going so slow in reverse as I backed into the street trying to get to the other side of center. I have to back out rapidly on this very busy two-lane road. This will be the four time I have taken the car into the service center to complain about this acceleration problem. The last time the service manager drove the car and said there was a definite bump in the transmission but they would have to wait until the factory came up with a computer programing fix. I read this week the factory had a fix two months ago and I was never contacted. A number of LS 500 owners have had this bump problem. My wife refuses to drive our new car it really scares her. How close are we to the lemon law?

1/4/19

Service was done on my car on 12/20/18 for updating the cars computer with a factory app to solve the above problem with the car not accelerating after shifting from reverse to drive. This morning it happened again. (1/4/19) Backed out of my drive at 8:30 am. Traffic was heavy so I had to back out rapidly when a space opened up in the east bound lane. Stopped then shifted in to drive the car would only go eight miles per hour. The car in back of me started honking his horn because I was crawling along. From past experience I knew if I kept pumping the throttle fast the engine would stutter and start to accelerate. I now have a new car that my wife will not drive
11/27/19
Thia transmission problem of only going 8 mph when shifting from reverse to drive happened again this morning.
12/9/19
Factory rep is now involved will see how Lexus plans to correct this serious problem that has been going on for twenty months. The dealer, South Bay Lexus, always states the factory has to correct this problem not them.

Last edited by Dick32; 12-10-19 at 10:30 AM. Reason: update on transmission problem
Old 01-07-19, 05:11 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick32
2018 LS 500 Purchased Feb. 2018

Transmission has a bump after shifting from reverse to drive since I purchased the car.

Four to five times in the last eight months the car will only accelerate to 8 mph and no faster for the first hundred feet when going from reverse to drive. I must shut the car off and restart to correct this problem. The cars behind me really get pissed when I have to stop and restart. To keep from holding up traffic I recently found if I keep pumping the accelerator fast then the engine will shutter and vibrate then it will start to accelerate.

Today (12/19) this problem with very slow acceleration happened when backing into the street from my drive. Car refused to accelerate in reverse. This is a first time it happened when backing up. Again, in would not go over 8 mph when I shifted into drive. This was very dangerous. The on coming traffic had to brake fast because I was going so slow in reverse as I backed into the street trying to get to the other side of center. I have to back out rapidly on this very busy two-lane road. This will be the four time I have taken the car into the service center to complain about this acceleration problem. The last time the service manager drove the car and said there was a definite bump in the transmission but they would have to wait until the factory came up with a computer programing fix. I read this week the factory had a fix two months ago and I was never contacted. A number of LS 500 owners have had this bump problem. My wife refuses to drive our new car it really scares her. How close are we to the lemon law?

1/4/19

Service was done on my car on 12/20/18 for updating the cars computer with a factory app to solve the above problem with the car not accelerating after shifting from reverse to drive. This morning it happened again. (1/4/19) Backed out of my drive at 8:30 am. Traffic was heavy so I had to back out rapidly when a space opened up in the east bound lane. Stopped then shifted in to drive the car would only go eight miles per hour. The car in back of me started honking his horn because I was crawling along. From past experience I knew if I kept pumping the throttle fast the engine would stutter and start to accelerate. I now have a new car that my wife will not drive
Wow that is really bad, I would def bring it back to the dealership and let them know it is unsafe to drive. Wait tell they find a remedy and put you in a loaner, get corporate involved if your dealership wont help.
Old 01-07-19, 09:17 AM
Ravill
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, have the tech take it home if they can't reproduce it. No way would I keep a dangerous car like that.
Old 02-27-19, 02:34 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Just got my car back. Drove about 40 miles so far and bump is gone
Old 03-01-19, 11:41 AM
hacker_720
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you so much for this! So much better.