LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Heads-Up Display-Outside temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 01:05 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by runner44
Will post pics in a few days after laser jammers, dash cam, etc installed. Do not have Kiriko glass panels I guess maybe because it is an F Sport. Sticker was 102k, has a lot of extras but no glass panels.
Just make sure the Laser jammers do not interfere with the safety systems of the car. I believe the windshield mounted cameras and front Lexus emblems has infrared emitters which may pick up the interference from the Laser.
Old 07-30-18, 12:54 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the cautions. I have the same accessories installed on LC 500 for the past 9 months with no problems.
The following users liked this post:
john341 (07-31-18)
Old 07-31-18, 07:54 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Today, I had a lengthtly discussion with a high level supervisor named Joshua Lee. The following is the email I just sent him at LGEC.Lexus.com and subject ATT: Mr. Joshua Lee
Dear Joshua Lee,Thank you for taking the time today to have a lengthy discussion about my current concerns relative to temperature display in the HUD of my 2018 LS500.The position of Lexus, stated by you if I am correct, is that the owners manual is in error and all the information that is described on pages 83 & 84 really pertains to the display on the dash above the speedometer. I believe you actually stated that the manual needs to be revised.However, when I asked why Lexus would have the temp displayed in the HUD for only less than 10 seconds, your incredulous answer was that it is intended to alert the driver that the engine would be cold at 37F or below. The manual states that the temp would not be displayed in the HUD below 37F. How can this help the owner starting the vehicle below 30F when no temp is displayed? To further amplify the ridiculousness of your explanation is the fact that you expect the owner to fixate at the HUD when starting for less than 10 seconds to see what temp the HUD is displaying!You further stated that every LS500 that you tested and that my dealer tested behaved exactly the same way-namely temp on HUD only for less than 10 seconds on initial startup.Logic suggests that if the temp was never displayed on the HUD, you could possibly get away with the manual error explanation.However, it took much intentional engineering to have the HUD display the temp albeit for the brief time.Logic suggests that there is some glitch or interference which is short circuiting the time the temp stays displayed.Having been a loyal Lexus consumer for many years and never having encountered an error in previous detailed Lexus manuals, I am deeply troubled by your explanation.It is time for you to get in touch with the engineers in Japan and find out why the HUD does not perform as described in the owners manual.Although for the past many years I have considered myself to be a loyal high end Lexus consumer, this double talk and failure on Lexus's part to own up to the problem is troubling and leaving me with a bad taste for the brand.Please fix the problem and reinstate my confidence in the Lexus brand. And stop with all the excuses and ridiculous explanations.
Old 08-02-18, 02:31 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Update:
The service manager at my dealership, who has been with Lexus since the early years has been working with his peers and other technical people at Lexus around the country to resolve this issue. This is what they come up with. The temp is supposed to briefly display on HUD at start up to let you know it is functioning. Then when driving, if the outside temp drops to 37F, the temp will flash in the HUD to warn of possible approaching icy road conditions. Then, if and when, the temp warms to 41 or so, it again flashes briefly to let you know driving conditions are safer again.
Having this function seems redundant since you have temp display from -40 F to 122 F on instrument cluster.
I not sure I believe this explanation; we need some LS500 owners in cold climates to verify in a few months.
Old 08-04-18, 02:07 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

The following users liked this post:
john341 (08-05-18)
Old 08-04-18, 02:09 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

My pictures LS 500 F Sport Liquid Platinum
Old 08-04-18, 04:54 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Just curious, does it even fit in your garage? In that one picture, it looks too wide.
Old 08-05-18, 12:08 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it fits no problem. Unfortunately, only one car garage so the LC 500 wins.
Old 08-05-18, 02:38 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Well I hope you enjoy yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.
Old 08-05-18, 07:21 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Liquid Platinum does an excellent job bring out the body lines and contours.
Old 09-03-18, 02:07 AM
koolkat
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful car! Thanks for sharing these pics!
Old 09-03-18, 05:29 AM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If your ALPs, in the front, are where I think they are, they are not effective (they need to be in the grill). It also looks like you don't have the TX head, so you're basically naked against VPR guns. Just a polite FYI. Can you please share where you ran the cable through the firewall?

For those of you who read my post going ??? -nothing to see here, move along :-)
Old 01-20-19, 08:16 PM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Default ALP placement

Note 3 ALPs in front-note TX in center-all working well. In rear 1 TX and 1 regular but rear TX in regular housing for appearance. As far as running cable contact CarTunes in Largo, FL who did the installation.

Old 01-21-19, 05:45 AM
angrypengu
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Note 3 ALPs in front-note TX in center-all working well. In rear 1 TX and 1 regular but rear TX in regular housing for appearance. As far as running cable contact CarTunes in Largo, FL who did the installation.

Against which lidar gun? If I use a Dragoneye Compact against you, I'd shred you in a manner of 0.1ms.

That install is WRONG, full stop, and any variable pulse rate gun would crush you.
Old 01-28-19, 06:40 AM
runner44
Driver School Candidate

Could you please post a diagram of where the sensors should be?

Quick Reply: Heads-Up Display-Outside temp