LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Gracenote Cover Issues on Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-18, 04:38 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile Gracenote Cover Issues on Radio

Greetings: This forum always have answers that the Lexus Dealers and Lexus Corporations cannot resolve. So here it goes: Just bought the 2018 LS with the usual Mark Levinson System. I have always had Gracenote showing artist pictures, etc. on all my past GS Lexus cars. With this new system, it seems that the artists or themes from the various radio stations like Pandora, XM, IHeart, etc. only show the actual cover pictures when I have the car stopped, in Park with the shifter. When I put the car in Neutral, Drive or reverse, the covers or pictures disappear. Just the station logo appears or the word PANDORA. I do know when I play a DVD, only audio plays and not video unless I am stopped and car in Park with brakes set. But should not be the case with music on the go. I checked and I do have Gracenote Cover Turned on and I also have Gracenote Priority set on though turning it off did not change anything. Never heard of Gracenote Priority. They say it looks at your portable audio system first for its own cover photo, if not, uses stock photo from Gracenote. Any assistance from this group is always appreciated.
Old 05-16-18, 07:30 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Unhappy Urgent Update to Gracenote-Cover Artisit Page Issue

Greetings: WARNING. After three days of talking with the Lexus Corporation, I was informed today that Lexus decided to turn off Gracenote Cover Page listing albums and artist pictures while driving without any warning. They started with the 2018 Lexus LS 500 for safety concerns. Now, the only way to see a cover page of the artist on any station like XM/Sirrus or Pandora and the rest, you must be in Park Shift with the brakes on like the DVDs we know from recent years. I can understand not watching the videos, BUT you cannot view cover pictures of artists and groups??? Safety Issues???!!! What is next; cannot show the active navigation maps unless in Park because of safety concerns? There is no where in the digital or hardcover manuals about the Gracenote issue, just about DVDs. I, for one, would have had second thoughts staying with Lexus after all these years if I knew about this Control or Censorship without due notice to the dealers who are not aware of this decision. I am an audio nut with the Mark Levinson and enjoyed Gracenote. Now, I must park to see the cover for each song played while driving. I must raise this issue to the highest level now for this sudden change of policy and procedure. Wanted you to know this issue.
Old 05-16-18, 07:43 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Unhappy URGENT NEWS on GRACENOTE Censorship by Lexus

Greetings: I have been a GS owner with three different versions for the past 13 years. Just bought the 2018 LS 500. Magnificent. BUT after two weeks of trying to figure out why Gracenote Cover Page of Artists and Groups were not showing up unless in Park Shift and Brakes on like DVSs, Lexus just told me that starting with 2018 models, they turned off Gracenote so it does not show artists for Safety Concerns. Manuals only talk about DVDs which is understandable. You only hear audio but not video unless parked and emergency brakes set. But Gracenot Covers????!!!! What is next, we cannot see Navigation Maps because it is a safety issue??? Be warned. Dealers I contacted were not aware of this decision done at the factory. I hope to fight this issue. Stay tune and be warned.
Old 05-16-18, 07:54 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a 2018 GS and it shows the Gracenote covers while I am driving.
Old 05-17-18, 03:34 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info on 2018 GS. Lexus may have started with 2018 LS and going to the new 2019 ES. Will be checking today again.
Old 05-17-18, 03:53 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Could an owner who has the 2018 LS Lexus check to see if your Gracenote is working. Do you have artist photos showing up when you drive and listen to Pandora and the like. Some of the 2918 GS say they can see Gracenote cover pages. Appreciate a comment back in the forum.
Old 05-17-18, 10:09 AM
powersb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my 2018 LS for 2 months now. You are absolutely correct that Lexus/Toyota chose to disable cover art when the vehicle is in any gear other than park. I discovered it the first day of ownership and my dealer wasn't even aware of the change. It has been implemented in all Lexus vehicles with the next-generation remote touchpad and cloud based navigation. This includes the NX, LS and perhaps others. It is a big disappointment for me and, had I known, I would not have purchased the vehicle. I find it hard to believe album art is more distracting that a moving navigation map or the annoying weather advisories I have been getting twice daily.
Old 05-17-18, 11:30 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

JAM: There are ways to get around the lock-out for Album Cover Art (and DVD watching, and Nav programming, and phone use, etc.). Many of us have installed a DVD/Nav bypass module made by Prestigious Society. This tricks the car into thinking it's in Park, opening up all of the functionality of the Nav, DVD, phone, etc. while the car is in motion. I don't know if Prestigious Society makes a module for the new LS500 yet, but if not, they probably are working on it. Here's their web site: http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

The module costs $229, and it can be fairly easily installed. I wouldn't be without it on my 2010 LS600hL!
Old 05-17-18, 12:05 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Thanks for reinforcing that Lexus shut off Gracenote. also thanks for ByPass information.
Old 05-17-18, 01:58 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Not trying to sound snarky, I honestly didn't realize people actually cared about this feature. I always thought it was rather pointless.

I do agree though, that there's no valid reason to prohibit them from being displayed while under way.
The following users liked this post:
MJA1951 (05-20-18)
Old 05-18-18, 07:10 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Unfortunately, this is a mandated policy by NHTSA. According to this article from 2014 Toyota was against this, because of their own research and results.

Here are some links about the policy:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...tronic-devices

http://www.cthreereport.com/nhtsa-wants-in-dash-album-art-to-go-the-way-of-the-lp/

https://www.strategyanalytics.com/st...g#.Wv7eWiAh2Uk
The following users liked this post:
dsc07 (05-18-18)
Old 07-20-19, 04:38 PM
johnc22
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Just Discovered This Phenomenon Today...

...a Bluetooth symbol, and that's it, while driving...WTF??? Lexus, you have 2007 vehicles that display the same exact graphic. Tapping out on you, Lexus. You win.

Last edited by johnc22; 07-20-19 at 04:39 PM. Reason: punctuation