LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS or Tesla Model S

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 07:11 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS or Tesla Model S

Both have 2018 MSRP’s in mid $70’s...
Old 04-08-18, 08:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

LS500 for sure. Tesla is cool because it is electric, but LS is a full blown luxury car from a luxury brand. Too bad the LS500h was not a plug-in hybrid.
Old 04-08-18, 09:14 AM
franklexus
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I briefly looked at the Tesla S only because of its technology. I agree with Jill, these are two vastly different vehicles (targeted at different segments) other than their similar pricing. The LS 500 is a flagship luxury car while the Tesla is an all-electric technology showcase. I went with the LS in the end because of its luxury and the range of a conventional gasoline engine. The Tesla wins hands-down in technology. Unfortunately the places I frequent (and dealership etc) are all outside of the range of a Tesla and there is inadequate infrastructure at this point to support charging midway during my journey. Even if there was, I would need to wait 40 - 75 minutes mid-journey for the battery to charge, adding to my commute time. So in the end, I decided the technology is still not for me at this point. Your considerations may vary though if you mainly do short trips and you can work with the charging. The icing on the cake is that the LS 500 gets a commendable 27 mpg for me, very impressive for a bigger car.
Old 04-08-18, 12:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I also agree with Jill. Teslas are cool, but from a "luxury car" standpoint they are nowhere near as well made, comfortable and well equipped as any flagship luxury sedan similar in price. Only reason to get one is if you feel that you need/want the electric drivetrain.
Old 04-08-18, 12:12 PM
dsc07
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I test drove a model S... twice. Ride was too firm, seats were too small, and then there's the range issue. I really wanted to go with this car because of the HOV privileges in California, but it just didn't work for me. A co-worker just bought one and he thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Don't let the high price fool you, though, it's not a luxury car. It's a very high-tech, all electric, sports car. And yes, it starts in the $70s, but to even get close to a 300 mile range, you're looking at $103,000. And that's 329 miles at 65 mph. Nobody I know drives that speed on the highways. Knock 20% off if you drive 75mph like most people do.
Old 04-08-18, 01:52 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

5LS is of course refreshed look, there’s something to be said about that vs 4LS

It is a decision of electric vs ICE as well though
Old 04-08-18, 01:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
LS500 for sure. Tesla is cool because it is electric, but LS is a full blown luxury car from a luxury brand. Too bad the LS500h was not a plug-in hybrid.
I was fortunate enough to sit in a demo LS500 they had at the dealership my brother works at. It was a metallic black (caviar) and black interior with stainless accents and white stitching interior F-Sport model.... holy crap that is a nice car.
WAY nicer than the outgoing model. Everything just seems perfect on it. One of the most comfortable cars I've ever sat in.

The Tesla is an empty gadget. Cool for their acceleration and electric concept, but aside from that it has zero character and will leave you feeling empty after going for a ride. I'll put my money and say a base model Camry or Corolla is better built than a Tesla, let alone something like an LS haha.
Old 04-08-18, 02:33 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't think anyone considering a Tesla is going to be in the market for a LS, or S, or 7 or A8. The Tesla is an entirely different animal.

You need to shop it versus any of the electric cars. The Tesla is 2 to 3 times the cost of the other electrics out there. That's where the real value proposition comes into play (but that's not for discussion in this forum).
Old 04-08-18, 03:20 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I don't think anyone considering a Tesla is going to be in the market for a LS, or S, or 7 or A8. The Tesla is an entirely different animal.
M).
Disagree. The Tesla is very popular among the affluent. The price point and where you can option it clearly makes the case. Just like a Land Cruiser and it’s ancient powertrain and faux wood trim badmged under a Toyota nameplate is for the affluent with its $85K MSRP. Tesla S is the only car that has made market share gains in the flagship price point
Old 04-08-18, 04:48 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

If it was me I would get the LS500. I think its better to wait couple more years before plunging money on a full EV. Mainly because the new technology that is in final development such as the solid state battery, Which promises more range and faster charging.
Old 04-08-18, 04:50 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

How about the one that costs less 2-3 years from now used?
Old 04-08-18, 05:17 PM
8spd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Before buying a Tesla Model S, you might wanna research "spontaneous suspension failure" on the Model S and see if people are still having problem with motor whine noise on the latest batch of cars, particularly the front motor. Then there is the whole issue of your personal privacy with the car being so connected.

Then there is the issue with repair, you cannot order parts from Tesla and they will only sell parts to affiliated shops. So, a simple fender bender can take a lot longer to fix and become very costly. Any mechanical problems after warranty, you will be at the mercy of Tesla, which is currently running out of money fast.

The neck snapping acceleration is downright addictive though. It was very fun to drive, but I don't think I would own one myself.
Old 04-10-18, 01:14 PM
aliasjav
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually have owned an LS 460 (and an S63 AMG coupe, S550 Sedan, Audi S5, Audi TT, Lexus GX 460, Lexus ISF, 2013 LX 570, 911 Turbo S) and currently drive a 2016 Tesla Model S P85D, 2016 LX 570, and a 2016 Audi S6. Of all these, the Tesla is the most unique by far. It gets a lot of attention, and I either get honked at, a thumbs-up, or people snapping photos every time I'm at a light, in heavy traffic; the acceleration is something that needs to be experienced to be believed. The driver assistance features are brilliant -- it really feels like you're in the future with this car. It handles ok, not really precise. Further, while the suspension is height adjustable, it's not adaptive. The seats are ok, nothing to write home about. I'm writing from Canada, and despite what is said, the cold drastically affects the battery performance. Under 0'C (freezing), I lose about 1/2 of my range, making my 400 km more like 200 km -- that, and it loses its regenerative braking, and the autopilot system often malfunctions at sub-zero temperatures Then there is the issue of range and charging. I made the mistake of taking this car on a multi-day roadtrip ONCE, and will never do it again. I spent so much time at charging stations, it was really very awful. I have a 40 amp charger at home in my garage and a full charge takes around 6 hours. Unless you have superchargers in your area, this car would only be good for short trip, commuting around your local city, etc. For that, it's great. If you want something for road-trips, get the LS.

That said, I'm not sure that this current LS is worth the premium price charged. As a 30 something buyer in this segment, I'm looking for cutting-edge technology, great design, and unparalleled comfort. I had the opportunity to finally test-drive this car, and my thoughts are:
The infotainment system is truly awful. Even parked, it was hard to use, unintuitive, and dated. I couldn't imagine using it while driving, I think it would be dangerous. Even my passenger had trouble using it on the road, and that's all he had to focus on.
The massaging seats are comfortable and fully adjustable.
Most cars in this segment are fully customizable, and again, given the infotainment system is the heart of how one interacts and customizes the car, it feels that the system is just not that good.

So, my advice is: look at the competitors. Audi and MB make terrific cars with great tech. If you want a car for zipping around locally, the Tesla is great. Expensive but fun and it is very cheap to operate. Although, in your entire lifetime, you'll NEVER recover the savings in gas vs the cost of this car (the same goes for the hybrid mind-you).
Old 04-10-18, 02:19 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Disagree. The Tesla is very popular among the affluent. The price point and where you can option it clearly makes the case. Just like a Land Cruiser and it’s ancient powertrain and faux wood trim badmged under a Toyota nameplate is for the affluent with its $85K MSRP. Tesla S is the only car that has made market share gains in the flagship price point
"The Tesla is very popular among the affluent." I thought only poor people bought them! Sorry, as a stand alone sentence that just struck me as funny, but I know what you meant and no offense I'm just having fun.

My point was (and I didn't state it well) is that many (not "anyone" as I wrote) people interested in a Tesla want an electric car. So if they want an electric car no ICE vehicle will be on their shopping list. Just like your example of the Land Cruiser, any person looking for a SUV is not going to be shopping luxury sedans even though the price point may be similar. To me the price point is the only thing the Tesla has in common with a luxury sedan. The Tesla ride and the interior appointments are not close to the LS, S, 7, A8 or Panamera.

To me the Tesla makes a great commuting vehicle, but in spite of what Musk would have you believe, it is not all that practical for longer trips.
Old 04-10-18, 02:36 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

I think this thread is convincing me more and more to look at 2019 ES or GS

Quick Reply: LS or Tesla Model S