LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Michelin Crossclimate Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-24, 03:51 PM
Aegean
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalod
Could it be your enjoying the ride more a bit faster?
Maybe? Just a little? Fess up!! LOL
Driving faster only when it rains. 😂
Old 01-11-24, 03:25 AM
ra59
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sajack.....You enjoying post runflat life with and regret every second you spend with them?

Im at one year with the runflats. I can't vouch they were brand new when I got them as they were "New-ish" and think they should last until spring.
Im ok with AAA but might want to carry a spare as well. There are jack points on the car? One can get from modern spare an actual jack that fits under it? I know they sell them, i assume they work.
Most importantly can you quantify that its a new tire (which is always better than any old work out tire) or the switch from runflats. PGA71 I think had switched with fairly fresh runflats. Im don't recall if his bulging run flats vibrated or not.

and have you begun your northern journeys into the wicked weather yet?
My son told me he has plans to move to Michigan from Colorado and im thinking "13 hours in the LS500 might not be so bad". We fly out to visit with him now. There are some car museums in Detroit I always wanted to visit!
He can also drive here with is kids and dogs as well!
I keep a can of fix-a-flat for true emergencies, but haven't used it, because I've had a few professionals tell me that they can damage the tire. I have a AAA membership, which I've unfortunately had to use once after getting a screw in my tire. The other downside to these tires -- which very well may be the case for the OEM run flats -- is that they are difficult to source, so it did take a couple days for my local tire shop to get one in stock.
Old 02-13-24, 01:08 PM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 289 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71
Correct, switched out the run flats with only about 6K miles on them. (A bit of a waste I know, but worth it to me)
Never had vibration, but the stiff sidewalls were definitely noticeable especially when I was so conscience of the effects and properties of run flats.
Have a portable air compressor, can of fix a flat and a plug/patch tire repair kit in my trunk as mitigation if I ever need it in case of a flat.
Have road side assistance if necessary as well.
If you don't mind, please tell me what NON RFT did you put on your LS?
Its getting close to being time to make the change. Thx....
Old 02-13-24, 04:28 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 391 Likes on 222 Posts

If you don't mind, please tell me what NON RFT did you put on your LS?
Its getting close to being time to make the change. Thx....
I replaced with Bridgestone Turanza Quietracks back in August and have over 10K miles on them.
Very pleased with the ride comfort and traction in dry, wet and snow. (Drove in a major snow storm today)
They are wearing well, but don't expect them to make the 80K mile warranty but will see.
However, if they wear out at 40K miles, I can use warranty to get the next set at near 50% of retail.
You can read more about them on the link below.

Bridgestone QuietTrack

The following users liked this post:
sajack (02-15-24)
Old 02-20-24, 12:24 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 391 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by sajack
Our 22 year-old LS430 with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus rubber is quieter and smoother than my LS500 with Bridgestone Runflats, not to mention the mileage. We are on the LS430’s third set of Serenity Plus tires in 127,000 miles. Current set will most likely dry rot before they wear out. I forgot to mention they are 16s. Oh well, at least my 20s look cool.
BTW, The Bridgestone Turanza Quietracks I put on my LS500, are the new design replacing the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires you use to get on your LS430.
Thought you may want to know incase you were wondering why the Serenity's are not available any longer.

Replacement for Bridgestone Turanza Serenity
sajack (02-21-24)
Old 02-21-24, 06:47 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Bridgestone Turanza Quietrack

Originally Posted by PGA71
BTW, The Bridgestone Turanza Quietracks I put on my LS500, are the new design replacing the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires you use to get on your LS430.
Thought you may want to know incase you were wondering why the Serenity's are not available any longer.

Replacement for Bridgestone Turanza Serenity
Thanks, I have had such good luck with Bridgestone Turanzas on my LS430 over the years that I’m going with Quietracks on my LS500 in a few weeks after I finish grinding off the inner edge of my current
runflops.
PGA71 (02-21-24)
Old 02-23-24, 03:13 PM
Wrocky32
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I also created a new thread asking for tire advice due to inside tire sidewall wear on my Continental non run-flat tires with 31k miles on them. Has anyone else had issues with wear to the sidewall of their tires? (Alignment was checked and all was in spec, tires have never been run underinflated)
Old 05-04-24, 03:22 PM
Jerome10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Following up as I posted a bit earlier regarding my sister having these on her Highlander.

While they were solid in rain and snow, I think I've moved to not recommending these tires, unfortunately.

They get extremely high ratings, consumer reports as well, but hers have worn out ridiculously quickly. I think around 30,000 miles and they're at the wear bars. They wore heavily on the outside edges, and she rotates every oil change, I keep her pressures at the door sticker, and her alignment was just checked and was 100% in spec. There are actually little chunks coming off on the shoulder areas.

In addition, since day 1 I thought the noise was just acceptable, at best, and the ride quality has always been too firm. The kind of tires that seem to deliver every road bump directly into the suspension. That hasn't changed even to today.

So the noise and ride quality I felt were maybe acceptable trade-offs for the snow traction and year-round capability but with the atrocious tire wear and expensive price.... I'm shopping something else for her at the moment.

235/55-20 on her Highlander Hybrid AWD. Its a rather low-profile tire for a 7 passenger family car, in my opinion. So maybe other sizes the CC2s are better.

Leading contenders are:
Continental CrossContact LX25. Seem to be better riding and quieter reviews as well as scoring slightly higher in Tire Rack snow testing than the CC2. Interestingly they are NOT 3PMSF tires either.
Pirelli WeatherActive. All-Weather like the CC2s. Excellent consumer ratings but new tire and hopefully more objective testing coming soon.
Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. Give up some winter traction for likely better ride and noise. Probably similar to the Continentals. I've liked my Pirelli Cinturato AS Plus 2s and I think this is just the SUV version.
General RT45. More of a budget tire, but I had the RT43s on a Corolla and they were great tires, and very solid in the snow.
General 365AW. Another all-weather like the CC2. I don't know what to make of these. Score well but Tire Rack says noisy. But consumer reports has their noise rating as "excellent". So who to believe?

Off the list
Bridgestone WeatherPeaks.... apparently the wear is very bad. Look decent otherwise.
Vredestein Quatrac... sounds like a solid tire but maybe a bit noisy as well.
Nokian WR (or any other Nokian)... again I hear raves on Nokian and other very average experiences. Average scores from consumer reports. Another tire I'm not sure what to make of them.
Goodyear WeatherReady... had these on a 2016 NX and was pleased with them. But older tech now and I think have been surpassed by competitors. Otherwise would recommend and place them head of the CC2.

Anyway, its unfortunate that my experience with the CC2s has not been good. I'd put them on the lower end of my last 6-7 sets of tires I've had or put on family member's cars.
Old 05-17-24, 10:18 AM
sajack
Advanced

Default Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack

I finally dumped my runflop tires today and replaced them with Bridgestone Quiettracks.
I could feel the difference before I was out of the Discount Tire parking lot.
These tires are so much quieter and smoother riding. I wish I had done this sooner.
PGA71 (05-17-24)
Old 05-22-24, 06:37 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 289 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by sajack
I finally dumped my runflop tires today and replaced them with Bridgestone Quiettracks.
I could feel the difference before I was out of the Discount Tire parking lot.
These tires are so much quieter and smoother riding. I wish I had done this sooner.
Everyone says this. But they are also new tires and when has anyone ever left getting new tires and not been happy?
But.......you should be and soon enough I'll be joining you and card carrying NON-RFT homer member!
its shocking with new tires how smooth steering becomes and braking improves.

Bottom line glad your happy! Care to share the pricing?

I have been going to an independent for 30 years that offers free rotation every 5k.
But there is a brand new Mavis tire opened up next to one of guy offices and it would be very convenient to do it there.
I do shop a bit just to make sure my guys are in the ballpark.
Will also inquire with Lexus pricing. I suppose distance keeps you from the dealership a bit? Makes sense.

Enjoy!!
Old 05-22-24, 10:41 AM
sajack
Advanced

We have a new Discount Tire store. I got two other prices that were a little higher, went with Discount Tire,
$1,260 total, mount, balance, tax, everything. I probably could have done better somewhere, but I am getting old and lazy I suppose. Discount Tire gives free balance and rotation too.
These guys were really good, used the alum. jacking plates under the sides of the LS, knew the correct lug nut torque (103 ft/lbs) and set it manually with a hand torque wrench, wiped fingerprints off the chrome wheels, let me stand there and watch and inspect my brakes. I liked that, having been run out of a few service depts. over the years.

Last edited by sajack; 05-22-24 at 10:45 AM.