LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Convert daytime running lights to HID/LED

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 08:20 AM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Convert daytime running lights to HID/LED

Hi,

my Daytime running lights are currently yellow halogen bulbs. I want them to be nice white bright HID. If I just buy the HID bulb from eBay, is it plug and play? Or do I need converters etc?

also, does that mean at night time, my low beams will remain the same light output? And that there’s no more high beams? I tried searching the forum but couldn’t find anything.

I think the fit is 9005 bulbs. Also, is it installed through the hood / bumper? Or from the front wheel area?
Old 12-26-20, 02:25 PM
Protholl
Advanced

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd use the search function in this forum. This question has been asked multiple times.

Take care =)
Old 12-26-20, 05:15 PM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Protholl
I'd use the search function in this forum. This question has been asked multiple times.

Take care =)

Yep, I did use but didn’t have luck finding the answers to my questions. If you’re able to find, please do send me the links! Thanks in advance
Old 12-27-20, 05:45 AM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Allusuc
Hi,

my Daytime running lights are currently yellow halogen bulbs. I want them to be nice white bright HID. If I just buy the HID bulb from eBay, is it plug and play? Or do I need converters etc?

also, does that mean at night time, my low beams will remain the same light output? And that there’s no more high beams? I tried searching the forum but couldn’t find anything.

I think the fit is 9005 bulbs. Also, is it installed through the hood / bumper? Or from the front wheel area?
While I have not yet changed out any of my headlight bulbs, here are a couple of recent threads to get you started. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...m-bulbs-2.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...re-really.html

The high beams and DRLs utilize the same 9005 bulb and are halogen from the factory (at least for our '07 & '08 models). The main 2-3 issues when changing to LEDs are due to the power output change between high beams and DRLs. The output is lower with the DRLs and is what causes the halogen bulb to be on the yellow side as compared to the more white high beam which is at full power. Some of today's vehicles that operate this way use either a low wattage system or a pulsed width system. It appears our cars use a pulsed width system (from my research and info on this forum) and require a PWM (Pulse Width Modulator), and maybe specialized LED bulbs? in order to dim the DRLs similar to the factory halogens.

Years earlier, members were swapping to LEDs and were getting some flickering, so there were anti-flickering modules to remedy this. However, output of the high beams and DRLs were the same full brightness. For some that was fine, as they did not mind the DRLs being on maximum brightness, so long as they didn't flicker. It seems that many of today's LEDs come with an anti-flicker module or they are already built in to the circuitry. However, some have stated that their LED high beams are not as bright as the halogens they had before. This may be due to that particular LED design and where the individual LEDs on the bulb are positioned in order to mimic how the halogens reflected. Some manufacturers now have LED bulbs with adjustable bases so that the individual LEDs can be positioned in order to achieve optimal reflection.

In the first thread link above starting with post# 9, I believe AZGS4 has found a great combination of cost effective and efficient bulbs with plenty of lumens and nice color matching (I think 6000k), that will be acceptable to many. However, there will be some that have a greater need for their high beams to have maximum output/beam pattern for their eyes, geography, etc.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (12-30-20)
Old 12-27-20, 07:23 AM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lwphat66
While I have not yet changed out any of my headlight bulbs, here are a couple of recent threads to get you started. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...m-bulbs-2.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...re-really.html

The high beams and DRLs utilize the same 9005 bulb and are halogen from the factory (at least for our '07 & '08 models). The main 2-3 issues when changing to LEDs are due to the power output change between high beams and DRLs. The output is lower with the DRLs and is what causes the halogen bulb to be on the yellow side as compared to the more white high beam which is at full power. Some of today's vehicles that operate this way use either a low wattage system or a pulsed width system. It appears our cars use a pulsed width system (from my research and info on this forum) and require a PWM (Pulse Width Modulator), and maybe specialized LED bulbs? in order to dim the DRLs similar to the factory halogens.

Years earlier, members were swapping to LEDs and were getting some flickering, so there were anti-flickering modules to remedy this. However, output of the high beams and DRLs were the same full brightness. For some that was fine, as they did not mind the DRLs being on maximum brightness, so long as they didn't flicker. It seems that many of today's LEDs come with an anti-flicker module or they are already built in to the circuitry. However, some have stated that their LED high beams are not as bright as the halogens they had before. This may be due to that particular LED design and where the individual LEDs on the bulb are positioned in order to mimic how the halogens reflected. Some manufacturers now have LED bulbs with adjustable bases so that the individual LEDs can be positioned in order to achieve optimal reflection.

In the first thread link above starting with post# 9, I believe AZGS4 has found a great combination of cost effective and efficient bulbs with plenty of lumens and nice color matching (I think 6000k), that will be acceptable to many. However, there will be some that have a greater need for their high beams to have maximum output/beam pattern for their eyes, geography, etc.
love you brother! Thanks for the help! Just found out the daytime running lights are the same as the high beams, thanks to your links!

Old 12-27-20, 08:18 AM
naterdee
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

make sure when you buy LED's they come in different color temperatures. I went with cool 6k high beams (Slightly dimmer for daytime running lights) but if you want to match your hids u want 4300k.

Also be sure to get a anti flicker bulb that has built in resistors, (OR one with a external resistor) or they will flicker and be annoying!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-HID-Wh....c100005.m1851
Old 12-27-20, 09:17 AM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by naterdee
make sure when you buy LED's they come in different color temperatures. I went with cool 6k high beams (Slightly dimmer for daytime running lights) but if you want to match your hids u want 4300k.

Also be sure to get a anti flicker bulb that has built in resistors, (OR one with a external resistor) or they will flicker and be annoying!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-HID-Wh....c100005.m1851

thanks!! Are these the ones you use? And they only have daytime running lights, so high beams won’t turn on, correct? No flicker from daytime either? And it comes with decoders it seems.
Old 12-27-20, 10:06 AM
naterdee
Driver

yessir, these are installed on my car. High beams work when turned on, otherwise running lights run during daytime utilizing the same bulb.
Old 12-27-20, 10:10 AM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

yessir, these are installed on my car. High beams work when turned on, otherwise running lights run during daytime utilizing the same bulb.
thanks! Bought a set!
Old 12-27-20, 10:54 AM
naterdee
Driver

np bud. And inb4 the anti Chinese bulb mafia strikes......literally 90% of all leds are produced in China. The more expensive bulbs for the most part are just branded with an American name (Like Lasfit for example) - I'm all about saving money, and in years of upgrading led bulbs on a myriad of different makes and models, and trying both name brand and these china direct types, they for the most part, both perform the same. Id rather spend a fraction of the cost and forego a warranty and returning bulbs, than ordering from a company that has 500% markup on the same damn bulb with a warranty. lol.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (12-27-20)
Old 12-27-20, 11:33 AM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

np bud. And inb4 the anti Chinese bulb mafia strikes......literally 90% of all leds are produced in China. The more expensive bulbs for the most part are just branded with an American name (Like Lasfit for example) - I'm all about saving money, and in years of upgrading led bulbs on a myriad of different makes and models, and trying both name brand and these china direct types, they for the most part, both perform the same. Id rather spend a fraction of the cost and forego a warranty and returning bulbs, than ordering from a company that has 500% markup on the same damn bulb with a warranty. lol.
no worries. I’m in the same boat as you. I’m an accountant (and an accounting professor at a university) so I’m as frugal as it gets lol. Someone on this forum called me “cheap” for not buying a Denso air filter when experienced members like roadfrog and a few others were using legit $8.50 air filters that did the same thing. Appreciate you looking out. Even if these bulbs last me a year, I can buy another set for $20.
The following 2 users liked this post by Allusuc:
fwhomeboy (12-27-20), sha4000 (12-27-20)
Old 12-30-20, 09:26 AM
hlheaton
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I did something a little different. The DRLs and the high beams use the same bulb, only when they are in the DRL mode they run at half power (they are turned on and off several times a a second), This does not cause a flicker when incandescent bulbs are used like the ones that are fitted from the factory, but it can/does cause issues with HID and LED bulbs. So what I did was I turned off the DRLs using Techstream (you can buy it on eBay along with an adaptor to adapt your computer to the OBD socket under the dash), replaced the incandescents with HIDs, then added in separate LED DRLs (aftermarket add-ons, they come in several styles). I went with 6000K HIDs and also traded out the HIDs in the low beams for 6000Ks to match. The result is much clearer vision at night, both on low and high beams. The DRLs run all the time (day and night) as I was too lazy to add a relay to turn them off when the headlights are on. If you decide to go this way, be sure to get instant on ballasts for the high beam HIDs or it will take 5-7 seconds for them to come up to full brightness when you first turn them on. This can be annoying when driving at night.
Old 12-30-20, 10:37 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by hlheaton
I did something a little different. The DRLs and the high beams use the same bulb, only when they are in the DRL mode they run at half power (they are turned on and off several times a a second), This does not cause a flicker when incandescent bulbs are used like the ones that are fitted from the factory, but it can/does cause issues with HID and LED bulbs. So what I did was I turned off the DRLs using Techstream (you can buy it on eBay along with an adaptor to adapt your computer to the OBD socket under the dash), replaced the incandescents with HIDs, then added in separate LED DRLs (aftermarket add-ons, they come in several styles). I went with 6000K HIDs and also traded out the HIDs in the low beams for 6000Ks to match. The result is much clearer vision at night, both on low and high beams. The DRLs run all the time (day and night) as I was too lazy to add a relay to turn them off when the headlights are on. If you decide to go this way, be sure to get instant on ballasts for the high beam HIDs or it will take 5-7 seconds for them to come up to full brightness when you first turn them on. This can be annoying when driving at night.
What did you use for the separate LED DRLs and where did you mount them? Also, what wiring did you tie into to run the DRLs. I believe Roadfrog and others have done something similar in the past.
Old 01-02-21, 06:29 AM
marksue331
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say that the drls run day&night when using the led bulbs. Does this mean that when the regular lights(hid) are on, the drl is on as well. If so it would seem that you are driving with the brights on all the time at night
Old 01-03-21, 04:34 AM
Allusuc
Pit Crew

hey I forgot to ask, when installing these daytime running lights, can I do it from the top of the car, without removing the grill and bumper? I’m assuming I’d just have to remove the black plastic top cover, and I should be good, right? I was able to change the turn signal lights without removing the grill and the bumper, just curious how the daytime running lights would be removed.

Quick Reply: Convert daytime running lights to HID/LED