LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Air replacement with Suncore Struts after thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 09:18 AM
LS430Nole
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Air replacement with Suncore Struts after thoughts

I had a bad rear air strut on my 2010 sport and went back and forth on whether or not to replace just one or all four or convert to standard. Car had 115k on the odo and I'll probably drive to 215+ so I decided to convert to standard suspension. I ordered the Suncore kit and had a friend who owns an indy shop do the work

My first impressions are positive as I will never have another air strut go bad but I've given up that sweet floating feel in comfort mode on the hwy.

The suncore struts feel as though I'm in Sport mode all the time which isn't all bad. The bumps aren't as soft but overall I'm happy with it.

The height was 2 inches higher than with the air. After driving home it settled to 1.5 and then this morning its sitting at 1. I'm guessing it will settle more as time goes by.

So now the technical part I'm sure people are curious about....
the back seat removal was 45 minutes with help from YouTube. Putting it back in was 15 minutes with the longest being getting the back deck to go back into the slots in the corner of the windows.
The suncore struts weren't compressed as much as the OEM so getting them in without fully disassembling all control arms was difficult. The back required removing the height sensor and sway bar link to get enough room and some rubber mallet to get the bottom of the strut to slide over the stud.
The front wasnt as bad as the rear. Unbolted the top control arms and sway bar, height control sensor and they slid in.

I removed the actuators but left the height control sensors in place for the AFS system. No lights as of yet. AFS still works. The air lines we covered with tape to keep dust out and zip tied them up out of the way.

We were not able to align it yesterday brcause of time constraints so I took it to my local tire shop this morning to get it aligned. When I picked the car up the VSC light was on. No other lights just VSC. I'm wondering now if they did something while doing the alignment or if it's from the conversion. I checked for codes but none came up. I'm going to try disconnecting the battery when I get home to see if that clears the light. I'll report back as time goes to let yall know any further issues or details.

Last edited by LS430Nole; 03-05-19 at 09:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mambo619 (05-31-19)
Old 03-05-19, 02:03 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

In for future updates
Old 03-05-19, 02:53 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

thanks for the update , pls let us know how the light situation goes

Di you have to buy the air line removing tool ? Or ddi they just cut the lines? Or find another way to get them off?
Old 03-05-19, 04:57 PM
LS430Nole
Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
thanks for the update , pls let us know how the light situation goes

Di you have to buy the air line removing tool ? Or ddi they just cut the lines? Or find another way to get them off?

Light update.....
I checked for codes and none were showing. I disconnected the battery thinking it may clear the code but no luck. I called my friend that installed the struts and asked him what it might be and he suggested I bring it by so I did. He had a fancier code reader than I and sure enough it was the "steering alignment sensor" or something to that affect. He cleared the code and reset the sensor to center with his diagnostic tool. Light gone. Evidently when the tire shop did the alignment they messed up the steering sensor.

We did not cut the lines The fittings are still in tact on the lines. He had a tool he used to remove the lines.

No other lights have come one so far. I did not pull any fuses and nor have I heard the compressor running.
Old 03-05-19, 05:32 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430Nole
Light update.....
I checked for codes and none were showing. I disconnected the battery thinking it may clear the code but no luck. I called my friend that installed the struts and asked him what it might be and he suggested I bring it by so I did. He had a fancier code reader than I and sure enough it was the "steering alignment sensor" or something to that affect. He cleared the code and reset the sensor to center with his diagnostic tool. Light gone. Evidently when the tire shop did the alignment they messed up the steering sensor.

We did not cut the lines The fittings are still in tact on the lines. He had a tool he used to remove the lines.

No other lights have come one so far. I did not pull any fuses and nor have I heard the compressor running.
That's great

from what ive heard leaving the height sensors on is all you need to do to avoid having lights flash on the dash , looks like it works in your case too
Old 03-06-19, 08:27 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Glad you are overall happy with it ! I purchase a set of Suncores for my 1994 beater Camry and they were excellent !
For a Lexus, I would have done used factory springs and new KYB Shocks and mounts. Of course the cost would be a lot more but I'm pretty sure you'd get an even better rider with the improved KYBs (fyi oem is KYB) vs the no name shocks you purchased.

Also I see that you have 19" wheels. Keep your air pressure around 30-32 psi for the most comfort. You'd surprised how much the ride changes when going slightly near or over 35 psi.
Old 03-06-19, 08:32 AM
LS430Nole
Driver

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Glad you are overall happy with it ! I purchase a set of Suncores for my 1994 beater Camry and they were excellent !
For a Lexus, I would have done used factory springs and new KYB Shocks and mounts. Of course the cost would be a lot more but I'm pretty sure you'd get an even better rider with the improved KYBs (fyi oem is KYB) vs the no name shocks you purchased.

Also I see that you have 19" wheels. Keep your air pressure around 30-32 psi for the most comfort. You'd surprised how much the ride changes when going slightly near or over 35 psi.
I may change to OEM in the future if the Suncore wear out or dont last. Thanks for the tip on the air pressure.
Old 03-06-19, 08:33 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

Di you have to buy the air line removing tool ?
You don't need a special tool, the tool to remove the line is built-in. Skip to 3:15 in the video below to see how it works.

The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (10-03-20)
Old 03-06-19, 09:40 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

You gonna change the shift console cover for a non air suspension one? That would make the conversion complete
Old 03-06-19, 10:07 AM
LS430Nole
Driver

Originally Posted by JLAWS
You gonna change the shift console cover for a non air suspension one? That would make the conversion complete
I doubt it. I'm probably keeping the car until well over 200k and whoever sells it at that point wont care. Besides I doubt I could find matching woodgrain without the holes cut out for the air switch because the woodgrain in the sport is exclusive to the sport from what i understand.
Old 05-31-19, 06:25 AM
LS430Nole
Driver

Still no lights