LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Control Arm...OMG!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 07:12 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ChongBob
This is the write up that the guy at A-1 gave me to justify the $1,400 estimate.
^^^ This is utterly ridiculous!! Haha.

2.3 hours to do one side of upper control arms??!! Haha! Oh my god. The only way it takes 2.3 hours to do the uppers on one side is if you do it blind folded, while the car is moving...with your hands tied behind your back, using sticks and rocks for tools. That's it, that's the only way. And I'm not bragging here. If something sucks to do I'd say it. An AVERAGE tech can do one side (uppers) in under 30 minutes. Easily. They are so ridiculously easy to do that it's insane. If you are a technician, have a lift and air tools...this is a 30 minute job on one side. Easily. Now the bottoms are a little tougher, but still easy for an experienced tech, with tools, air and lift. I can see maybe spending an hour on the bottoms on each side (if you've never done them before). But I'm telling you an experienced tech, even if he's never done these before, will figure out how to do the lowers in under an hour...and then bang out the other side in forty minutes. It really isn't a big deal. Not a big deal at all.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 02:28 PM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Got a very nice call from the Lead Technical Advisor for MevoTech regarding the warranty on their control arms. He was very helpful in explaining their process. So though they do provide a Limited Lifetime Warranty, that warranty depends on the retailer passing it through. In my case, RockAuto does pass the manufacturer warranty through, but the warrantied parts must be sent through RockAuto and not MevoTech. Some other retailers, may provide a 1yr or something completely different at their discretion, so be sure you understand your retailer's position on warranty replacement. Also, though their warranty does stipulate that the installation must be performed by a licensed mechanic for their protection, there is the risk that a DIY installation may not be covered though many retailers will support unless they suspect abuse and they could stand behind this clause. Buyer beware.

I thought my call was very helpful and appreciated MevoTech for reaching out and wanted you guys to know.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tlutrick:
ChongBob (02-19-19), icon901 (03-04-19), NotFasty (02-19-19), Outofspec (02-19-19)
Old 03-04-19, 09:18 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

So I completed my Front Control Arms this weekend. I will say, that it is not a difficult job....UNLESS....you have to replace them Damn Ball Joints on the Steering Knuckle, which I did. I was about ready to pull my hair out after a couple of days of fighting them things. But thankfully, it's done, car drives great...I think...

Now I am wondering if I'm oversensitive to the "feel" and think I've got a little something in the rear. Not bad, just "something". The front was like holding a weed eater all day. Well, I am putting on my drilled and slotted rotors, so I guess I will "inspect them". That's a joke, as it's hard to tell on the car unless you see tearing or serious play. If I had just gone off inspection for the front, then I wouldn't have changed them, and they clearly were bad.

So my question is..is there a way to "check" the rear arms without taking them off?
Old 03-04-19, 02:04 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

4) As for the transmission and differential services. I would not recommend conducting these repairs if you are uncertain of when they were previously done. I have seen transmissions and differentials give out right after doing these service. For reference, the transmission service on this vehicle is around $400.00. Differential service is not something I can do here. But doing these, I feel, are risky moves.
This shop is able to perform these services, they're just not willing to accept the liability and to some extent I can't blame them. Any future issue and they're left to blame, fault or not. The tranmisson service has been beaten to death on this page, however the diff is a simple drain and fill. It should be no problem for any DIY mechanic.
Old 03-11-19, 02:17 PM
460LS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the email received from A1 auto care in Arlington:

Thank you for your prompt reply. Here is the breakdown.

1) For R&R all eight control arms, the labor is $1,410.00. This is with labor consolidation! It is a lot of work that would take us the better part of three days to complete.

2) Four wheel alignment = $85.00/per axle x 2= $170.00.

3) Full synthetic oil change is $93.00.

4) As for the transmission and differential services. I would not recommend conducting these repairs if you are uncertain of when they were previously done. I have seen transmissions and differentials give out right after doing these service. For reference, the transmission service on this vehicle is around $400.00. Differential service is not something I can do here. But doing these, I feel, are risky moves.

I hope this helps in your pursuit of quality vehicle repairs.

Craig
A1 Committed Autocare

If I were you I would not recommend this shop because that is way too much for labor. My guy's shop charged me 65 for alignment and labor for 2 lower control arms were $120. Too bad you're not in Los Angeles otherwise I could introduce you to my guy.
Old 03-11-19, 07:12 PM
460LS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Just gonna point out that $65 for an alignment is VERY cheap. You just happened to get lucky, most places will almost double that cost.
This is true and that is why I've been only going to my mechanic. If anyone in LA/OC area needs a recommendation, I'll be happy to give the info to my guy
Old 12-24-19, 11:44 AM
marthal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased a 2010 last week, and am looking to work my way through the mechanics. Only has 68k - not even broken in yet. But want to start out with a clean slate. I'm in the Cedar Park area - just moved to TX 4 months ago. Perhaps you would be willing to provide me with some appropriate connections?
Old 12-17-20, 01:42 AM
betboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 460LS460
This is true and that is why I've been only going to my mechanic. If anyone in LA/OC area needs a recommendation, I'll be happy to give the info to my guy

I tried messaging you but I am new. Would love to know!
Old 12-17-20, 06:36 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

If anybody in North Texas needs control arms done, come to me. I will spend the afternoon with you in the garage showing you how to do it and I charge far FAR less than even the cheapest shop.
The following 6 users liked this post by ArmyofOne:
cochiseg (12-18-20), DavidinCT (03-11-21), dungut (03-08-21), Rajananda (12-27-21), russtayy (03-20-23), sha4000 (12-20-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-18-20, 08:58 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
If anybody in North Texas needs control arms done, come to me. I will spend the afternoon with you in the garage showing you how to do it and I charge far FAR less than even the cheapest shop.
Sounds like you have a good handle on the process. Do you know of a specific puller tool that works well for removing the ball joint on the knuckle?
Old 12-20-20, 07:57 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Good, old fashioned pickle fork.

Unless you're talking about removing it from the control arm itself. Then a bearing press is needed. $120 @ harbor freight for a 25 ton, or just buy 'em with ball joints already in 'em.
The following users liked this post:
russtayy (03-20-23)
Old 12-20-20, 09:43 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Unless you're talking about removing it from the control arm itself. Then a bearing press is needed. $120 @ harbor freight for a 25 ton, or just buy 'em with ball joints already in 'em.
Thank you. Appreciate the response.
Old 12-21-20, 04:20 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 857 Likes on 630 Posts

A bushing removal kit can be used as well. However, I used just a bolt with a nut and two sockets of different size to remove my bushings. If I would have to do it again, I would get one the following:

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-29-20, 03:43 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

I took my 07 LS460 in to my independent shop today thinking I needed an alignment due to the steering wheel suddenly being off center by about 10 degrees to the right. Once they got the car up on the rack they were unable to align within specs due to control arm bushings being shot. I am waiting to hear back with details as all I have so far is a voicemail. Assuming the price quote will be higher than I want to pay I will likely be doing the replacements myself in the near future. I also have plans to do the engine mounts soon as well. With the down time over the holiday it may be a good time to do it all at once assuming I can get the parts quick enough to make that happen. I will probably start a separate thread as I tackle these issues.
Old 12-30-20, 01:40 AM
bpddaddy
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you. I knew my upper right front control arm bushing looked weak when I changed the brakes 3 months ago, but just 30 days ago my steering wheel became off center, ever so slightly. My head said it was the control arm but I had been looking at the tires. Guess I’ll start prepping to install my already purchased control arms.

Quick Reply: LS460 Control Arm...OMG!!!