LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Techstream

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 08:47 PM
JMLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
JMLS

Not so fast. The firmware version is 1.4.5. If you are seeing 1.4.1 I do not believe you are seeing the firmware version. I believe when you open Techstream you will see a version that shows 1.4.1 and I am no expert by any means but I am not sure if that is the firmware version of the cable because I remember seeing the version number somewhere in the configuration process?

Dennis
Dennis, thanks for the heads up. I run the "MVCI Firmware Update Tool" program to check the firmware version without running Techstream. It reported the version number 1.4.1. If I unplug the cable, it shows N/A. When I hit the "Device Info" tab, the red light on the adapter would turn to green momentarily. I did some more reading on the SC forum and then followed a link over to PriusChat. My impression is for some vehicles, the version 2.0.4 may not fully work either. I ended up ordering a Tactrix Openport 2.0 adapter/cable directly from their store. Hopefully it will resolve my problem.
Old 02-14-19, 02:37 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

1.4.1 is the firmware version. I have 2 cables with that exact version that I have been using.
The following users liked this post:
JMLS (02-14-19)
Old 02-14-19, 09:43 PM
JMLS
Driver School Candidate

I got the Tactrix adapter today. Download the driver and installed it. Run the Techstream. In "Setup" tab, select Open port 2.0. It connected to vehicle without any problem; no problem for doing the Data List in the Tire Pressure Monitor System. Here came the test to update the ID. After entering 5 ID's, it came back right away with the message "ID update complete". What a difference! No more communication error. My "old" MVCI 1.4.1 adapter (bought 2 months ago) can do ECU data read, but not ECU data update. I highly recommend the Tactrix adapter if you experience the same problem that I have. According to ChampanF from PriusChat, the cheap clone adapter problem is because of bad quality control. Some people would have no problem, but some are not so lucky. Just for reference, the Techstream I tried is 10.30.029. I think newer version should work with this adapter.
Old 02-14-19, 11:01 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLS
I got the Tactrix adapter today. Download the driver and installed it. Run the Techstream. In "Setup" tab, select Open port 2.0. It connected to vehicle without any problem; no problem for doing the Data List in the Tire Pressure Monitor System. Here came the test to update the ID. After entering 5 ID's, it came back right away with the message "ID update complete". What a difference! No more communication error. My "old" MVCI 1.4.1 adapter (bought 2 months ago) can do ECU data read, but not ECU data update. I highly recommend the Tactrix adapter if you experience the same problem that I have. According to ChampanF from PriusChat, the cheap clone adapter problem is because of bad quality control. Some people would have no problem, but some are not so lucky. Just for reference, the Techstream I tried is 10.30.029. I think newer version should work with this adapter.
good to know, thanks link where you bought it ?
Old 02-15-19, 09:17 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

I just got mine today and I can't get past the registration Key. Oh Boy.

Last edited by RA40; 08-06-19 at 11:04 AM. Reason: link removed
Old 02-15-19, 09:37 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Outofspec
I bought This on Ebay:
Mini VCI J2534 Diagnostic Cable For Toyota Lexus Scion TIS Techstream V13.00.022
From the seller: capital_auto
My experience was good (So Far). Software disk and cable delivered quickly. Cable looks like a quality item and the software loaded, and appears to be working, but it's been cold here, so it is as yet untested. The seller was quick to respond to emails when I needed some help with the installation. The guy has a lot of positive feedback on Ebay for this item, and at $34.95 it's reasonably priced. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has used this Ebay vendor and product. Using this bastardized software does give me some heartburn though. I have an old laptop that I'm using as a dedicated machine for this so I'm not freaked out about viruses or identity, but the integrity of the data this software will eventually produce for me, and the connectivity to my car, gives me pause.
Good to hear. I bought the same one from this seller last week. Should be arriving any day now.

I'll try to see if I can run the software on a Windows 10 64-bit. And to see if it works on a 2013 LS. I'll report back.

Old 02-15-19, 10:04 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
I just got mine today and I can't get past the registration Key. Oh Boy.

Old 02-15-19, 11:44 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you read the install notes that came with the CD??
Old 02-15-19, 12:19 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Did you read the install notes that came with the CD??
Yes, I did. It installed but, the registration key doesn't work.
Old 02-15-19, 01:28 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Does this version have a .exe file on disk to copy to PC programs folder?
Old 02-15-19, 07:41 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

You need to unzip the main menu.exe file and the key.exe file and drop them into the tecstream bin file. It's not hard but a PIA. Make sure those two files are unzipped. The read Txt file will tell you which exe file it wants you to replace it may be one or it might be both. When you drop it in the TS bin file it will ask you if you want to replace the existing one. Say yes. After you have the TS loaded to your laptop and you plug in your cable to the laptop and you get the message that "your computer has not been modified" it is telling you that you are trying to run 32 bit firmware on a 64 bit machine. That means that you would need to go in and change the registry which is something 90 percent of folks do not know how to do and should not attempt. If it only asks for the main menu.exe file to be dropped in then then the Key file will show what the key code is. It will 46 or 47 numbers mostly 1's. When you get the message that you are showing plug in the key and hit OK not register your software. Hope this helps. You can use WinZip or Winrav (I think it is winrav) not sure to unzip the files.

Dennis
The following 2 users liked this post by DJWLDW:
rourkws (02-16-19), theguy0075 (07-22-20)
Old 02-15-19, 08:39 PM
JMLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Good to hear. I bought the same one from this seller last week. Should be arriving any day now.

I'll try to see if I can run the software on a Windows 10 64-bit. And to see if it works on a 2013 LS. I'll report back.
Bought from this same seller for my 2nd set of MVCI + TIS. V13.00.022 could not work. V12.xx.xx works the same way as V10.30.029 but not fully functional. It can clear code, read ECU data but always have communication error when doing ECU data update/configuration. It will be interesting to know if it works on yours.
Old 02-16-19, 03:04 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLS
Bought from this same seller for my 2nd set of MVCI + TIS. V13.00.022 could not work. V12.xx.xx works the same way as V10.30.029 but not fully functional. It can clear code, read ECU data but always have communication error when doing ECU data update/configuration. It will be interesting to know if it works on yours.
even after the 169$ cable ?
Old 02-16-19, 07:39 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Does this version have a .exe file on disk to copy to PC programs folder?
I contacted the seller and I'm going to return it for a refund. I'm done with this version.
Old 02-16-19, 07:45 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
You need to unzip the main menu.exe file and the key.exe file and drop them into the tecstream bin file. It's not hard but a PIA. Make sure those two files are unzipped. The read Txt file will tell you which exe file it wants you to replace it may be one or it might be both. When you drop it in the TS bin file it will ask you if you want to replace the existing one. Say yes. After you have the TS loaded to your laptop and you plug in your cable to the laptop and you get the message that "your computer has not been modified" it is telling you that you are trying to run 32 bit firmware on a 64 bit machine. That means that you would need to go in and change the registry which is something 90 percent of folks do not know how to do and should not attempt. If it only asks for the main menu.exe file to be dropped in then then the Key file will show what the key code is. It will 46 or 47 numbers mostly 1's. When you get the message that you are showing plug in the key and hit OK not register your software. Hope this helps. You can use WinZip or Winrav (I think it is winrav) not sure to unzip the files.

Dennis
This is where my problem is. The key, which shows the - and the rest of the numbers, the key is not taking. clicking OK doesn't do anything. Looks like the wrong Key here. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by RA40; 08-06-19 at 11:13 AM. Reason: key sequence removed

Quick Reply: Techstream