LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cost of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 07:54 PM
davb30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of ownership

Besides gas, is it expensive to run an LS460? As in, does it need expensive/complicated repairs more than every once in a while? I'm asking because I am considering getting one and it seems like an appealing option. I want Toyota/Lexus reliability in a highway cruiser that has a nice V8 engine, especially the 4.6.

By the way, I am more than comfortable with doing maintenance and light repairs myself.

EDIT: I'm looking at the older LS460s, pre-2010 as they are cheaper.
Old 01-09-19, 09:19 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I think you will find the cost of ownership is very reasonable. Stay away from Lexus dealerships and use either Toyota or a trusted independent.
Old 01-09-19, 09:26 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Great car overall. Older may not be cheaper at the end of the day as it is still a car that is 10+ years old. Lower mileage and past maintenance history will help reduce repair and issues but things will still require to be changed. Earlier models including mine, 2010 had control arm and brake actuator issues. There is a bulletin that is out for an extended warranty for the brake actuator, something you may want to look into just to be safe if your not getting an extended warranty. Also you may be able to do it on the cheap through an Indy but the expense will still run in the thousands. If you have coin set on the side, do it. It does ride like it’s on clouds and has a responsive throttle for a big body vehicle. GL

Mike
Old 01-09-19, 11:28 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

They key here is going DIY on just about anything possible. If you have to pay $100 per hour labor for everything then the LS can get expensive. It's a luxury car and obviously parts, fluids, and wear items cost more than a Camry so there's certainly an entry cost to go into luxury tier. However, by going DIY you can probably drive this thing for less than a Camry owner who pays for everything.
I've done filters, oil change, diff fluid, pads/rotors, brake fluid, & spark plugs on mine since purchase and all of that was about $700 in parts. Can't imagine what it'd be at a dealer...$2,700? I can assure you there's also satisfaction knowing you did everything right. Anti seize on each plug with proper torque, etc. Not going down the road wondering if some mouth breather tightened my drain plug.
With the cars in my signature list I'm all DIY, no way I could own those and pay for labor. Whenever someone asks me should I buy a 15yo BMW xxxx my first question is always, do you DIY?
Good Luck!
The following users liked this post:
LS460Yeet (07-17-22)
Old 01-10-19, 08:06 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Maybe I'm just lucky. I've had my 08 LS going on 5 years. My maintenance issues have been a new battery, new tires, two new headlights, and oil changes. I'm coming up in several months on the 75K maintenance which I will have done at a local shop. Was going to be spending money on some interior work, but Lexus is replacing it for free. These cars are solid and short of the control arm issue in the earlier models, you should be just fine.
Old 01-10-19, 11:38 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Here is my repair person expenses since May 2017 for my 2008 LS460 with currently 97K miles. I am omitting the cost of mods like the 19inch oem wheels and tires which were my most expensive purchase. Nearly all of it was DIY. There were some which required assistance so I went to my family mechanic a mile away.
I have a water pump on hand for $100. No issues with current one yet. I plan to install it myself, I plan to get the $300 transmission flush and fill done at the dealership. I have no way of measuring the fluid level. The only thing I am bracing for is the Brake actuator if it fails. $1200 for the part online, $? labor cost
Wonderful car to own if you can do a bulk of the work yourself!

-Trunk Latch Motor $285
-HID bulbs $180
-Radiator $150
-4 Sway links $80 +( Partial Labor $50 one link was had to be cut out)
-4 Upper control arms $160
-Ball joint Boot $25
-Navigation Trim surround $240 ( old one had cracks)
-KYB Front Struts and mounts $265 +(Partial Labor $75 to put struts together)
-$50 hood struts
-Belt, Belt tensioner and Pulley $140
-2nd key $100, + $75 dealer reprogram
-Innerstate Megatron battery $115
-Right Rear door would not open. Removed door panel, to open door. Door Latch was caked with dirt and oil and would not release. Cleaned up and re oiled. $0. 4 hour nightmare to figure out!

Last edited by JLAWS; 01-10-19 at 04:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LS460Yeet (07-17-22)
Old 01-10-19, 02:14 PM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the major take away from any discussion on LS 460 cost of ownership is that if you stumble into the dealership every time trouble arises; these cars will eat a lot of cash. The good news is that the systems that do seem to fail on theses cars have creative solutions, most involving your own elbow grease ( most of them well documented in these forum pages) that can be really cost effective. Case in point; a water pump on my (4 week) new to me 2007 LS 460 L. Seeping a bit when I bought the car, the dealer quoted me $850 for the water pump R&R. I bought an Aisin pump, what I believe to be OEM on Rock Auto for $88, and did the job myself, with the help of an old Roadfrog post, in a couple hours. Actually one of the easiest most straight forward jobs I've done on any car. Now I do have to temper that euphoria with the fact that I also needed to replace the navigation hardrive to the tune of $1250 at the dealer. It's a dealer only part, and the labor was only a couple hundred of that, so I just had them do it as long as it was there for the diagnosis. I believe all the older models '07 through IIRC '10, have a hard drive and I believe they will all fail, sooner than later. Otherwise, the brake actuator Jllaws referenced is an inevitable costly concern and a dealer/factory only part, for new anyway.
Not so long ago my car rolled of the showroom floor with an MSRP of about $80K. I'm now enjoying the car with about 80,000 miles on it, it drives, and looks darn close to new; to me at least, and all for a small fraction of that sticker price with a few inconveniences once in a while. I'd recommend this car to anybody that can effectively turn a wrench, and you sound like that kind of guy. Good Luck!
Old 01-10-19, 02:33 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

By far the largest cost associated with owning a luxury car like the LS460 is depreciation, not maintenance. My LS600hL had an original sticker price north of $126k back in 2010 when it was sold. I bought it for $27,500 with 66k miles on it in 2018. I plan to keep it for 6 years, and I doubt very much it will have much trade-in value when I'm done with it (lets say maybe $5000). So my car cost the original owner roughly $100,000 in depreciation in 8 years, and will cost me perhaps $22,500 in depreciation over 6 years. Not bad at all, but WAY more than I will spend on repairs in all likelihood. I actually decided to purchase a full national "bumper to bumper" warranty on my 2010 from CNA (a well-reviewed company). I paid $2800 for the 6 year warranty, and it covers pretty much every expensive thing likely to fail on my car (control arms, air ride suspension, brake actuator, M/L amp, even the hybrid batteries).

I think if you find the right LS that has most of the major depreciation already taken out of it, and are handy with DIY repairs, you will be rewarded with an amazing luxury car experience virtually the same as if you bought new, at a small fraction of the price.
Old 01-10-19, 04:17 PM
davb30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds pretty good. If I buy one I probably won't be worried about the navigation hard drive failing, if it does I'll just ignore it and continue using my phone for navigation
Old 01-10-19, 05:59 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

My dealer is $200 an hour
Old 01-10-19, 07:13 PM
nguyenpt12
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get an insurance quote before buying I pay over 200 a month.. I also drive all city and get terrible gas mileage ~9-14 mpg
The following 2 users liked this post by nguyenpt12:
davb30 (01-11-19), TRS (06-30-19)
Old 01-11-19, 02:07 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
By far the largest cost associated with owning a luxury car like the LS460 is depreciation, not maintenance. My LS600hL had an original sticker price north of $126k back in 2010 when it was sold. I bought it for $27,500 with 66k miles on it in 2018. I plan to keep it for 6 years, and I doubt very much it will have much trade-in value when I'm done with it (lets say maybe $5000). So my car cost the original owner roughly $100,000 in depreciation in 8 years, and will cost me perhaps $22,500 in depreciation over 6 years. Not bad at all, but WAY more than I will spend on repairs in all likelihood. I actually decided to purchase a full national "bumper to bumper" warranty on my 2010 from CNA (a well-reviewed company). I paid $2800 for the 6 year warranty, and it covers pretty much every expensive thing likely to fail on my car (control arms, air ride suspension, brake actuator, M/L amp, even the hybrid batteries).

I think if you find the right LS that has most of the major depreciation already taken out of it, and are handy with DIY repairs, you will be rewarded with an amazing luxury car experience virtually the same as if you bought new, at a small fraction of the price.
My 08460L is the first car ive owned that I will be taking a noticeable loss on

I have no enjoyed my experience with this car because of the depreciation + repairs , im going to be in for a $7-$8000 loss in two years of ownership , horrible in my experience

My ls430 cost me about $2000 in losses over 2 years

My vettes both made money on resale

My first lex, SC400 lost about $1500 in 3 years

The 460 was the newest and most expensive car I owned, but its really taken a hit on resale

Signed - ***** from food court in hong kong
Old 01-11-19, 07:06 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Before you buy any particular Lexus vehicle, take a look at the service history using the Lexus Owner Site. Enter the vin to see what has or hasn't been done. It won't guarantee you perfect information, but at least you'll get a snapshot of the car through the eyes of Lexus.
Old 01-11-19, 10:30 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by davb30
Besides gas, is it expensive to run an LS460? As in, does it need expensive/complicated repairs more than every once in a while? I'm asking because I am considering getting one and it seems like an appealing option. I want Toyota/Lexus reliability in a highway cruiser that has a nice V8 engine, especially the 4.6.

By the way, I am more than comfortable with doing maintenance and light repairs myself.

EDIT: I'm looking at the older LS460s, pre-2010 as they are cheaper.
The LS460 is more expensive to run then your avg Japanese car and likely the most expensive Lexus to own/maintain, it still costs less to own and maintain then the Euro flagships. The LS has some expensive issues you want to look for.

DIY will greatly reduce the cost of ownership but there are a few issues where even DIY won't save you too much or it is even possible, replacing air struts, ABS sensor, dash melting. Avoid the Lexus dealership, Toyota dealerships are normally pretty reasonable though for many things.

Best bet for the lowest cost of ownership with a LS is getting a RWD(AWD does not have cheap aftermarket control arms), non air(air struts are expensive to replace even if you do them yourself), non hybrid avoid 07,08, try for a lower mileage 2010-2012 for the best prices or 2013+ but you will pay a bit more and get Lexus to do a pre purchase inspection.

Main issues to watch out for are Control Arms, Brake actuator, ML amp, Dash melting, Air suspension.
Old 01-11-19, 01:16 PM
mambo619
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nguyenpt12
Get an insurance quote before buying I pay over 200 a month.. I also drive all city and get terrible gas mileage ~9-14 mpg

really?? i pay less then $110 a month and i have really good coverage, I Avg, 17-20MPG, with lots of city driving....

Quick Reply: Cost of ownership