LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My time on the LS460 board was short...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-18, 08:52 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default My time on the LS460 board was short...

...but last Saturday, some IDIOT driving a '98 Acura TL, cut across four lanes of traffic to "make" the exit they missed...across the apron, and they arrived at the lane the same time I did.

I mostly missed them. My LF wheel hit their RF wheel, which launched the portly LS-L into the air for about 50 feet. No skid marks from my car until I landed in the right lane of the two-lane exit. I pass this place, daily, so I've gotten to look it over a few times.

The damage doesn't look bad, at first glance, but the adjuster said, over the phone, "I hate to say this, but the roof buckled around the sunroof...". I said, "yeah, and there are two more obviously deformed areas over the left-rear passenger's seat. It was then, he knew I'd looked it over, and had a feeling, prior to him seeing it, it was going to be totaled. Both he and I also noticed, the decklid was no longer flush, either.

The front half of the lower control arm was sheared off at the knuckle, and the impact was hard enough, the trunk lid is no longer flush. The car runs and moves at parking lot speed, but yes, it's done for. New roof, there's going to be chassis straightening, maybe a firewall...all that on top of the $11K of damage he'd already found.

...and I just finished working on this car for three freakin' months!

I was beyond livid at the scene, so I didn't leave my vehicle's area, which was about 200' down from the where the Acura came to rest in a ditch.

Adding insult to injury, the person who claimed to be driving, wasn't, but regardless, no driver's license, paper plates, and no insurance. Yet, they got to leave when friends/family came by to pick them up.

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Why is this not immediate jail time?!

So...after two days bed rest, per the doc at the ER, after taking pictures and tests, knowing I hit the roof the car with my head, hard, I put our '98 ZJ 5.9L's front end back together, and I'm driving it. What a change in vehicle.

SRS did not deploy, because of where the damage is, which is just lucky. I remember the entire thing, including both the quiet of being airborne and the rather loud bang of landing.

The insurance company claims the car is worth $12K. Nope, I can't work with that number, so I hired an independent adjuster who said, $15K is the absolute minimum. Better, but then I have $2K+ in new parts over the past year. Yay for receipt saving!

Pictures don't show the damage, because much of it is structural. I hit this person HARD. Closing speed was probably about 60 MPH. Remarkably, I believe the hood is untouched.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vx...PntXAlHq1zepHe
Old 11-17-18, 09:04 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Glad you're ok, that's the important part. But man does that suck. Weren't you the guy doing the extended oil change intervals? Wanted to see how that was going to go long term. Bummer, hope you buy another one. Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 09:12 AM
tle99104
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see u ok, no worry about the car. Take care yourself first. God protect and bless you.
Old 11-17-18, 09:19 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

First off I'm glad that your ok. This just pisses me off. You would think that ppl with no license, insurance, plates, etc.. would be more careful. I hope they at least gave them a ticket for reckless driving. I've watched all the work that you put into the car since you got it and I feel your pain.
mckellyb (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Man, that sucks! So glad you’re okay, that’s the important thing. When you alluded to being in something else in another thread I never dreamed it was something like this...
mckellyb (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 10:49 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I hate stories like this but am very glad that you are fine. I can see the buckling on the roof and can only imagine the strength of the impact.

Good for you that you got an independent adjuster and that you kept all receipts for your work!

As for the moron in the TL, my only word is accountability... I hope he gets some.
mckellyb (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 11:09 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Glad you're ok, that's the important part. But man does that suck. Weren't you the guy doing the extended oil change intervals? Wanted to see how that was going to go long term. Bummer, hope you buy another one. Best of luck.
Yeah, that was me. In fact, not seven minutes earlier, I dropped an oil sample in the mail to Blackstone.

I e-mailed them and asked them to not do anything until I learned what was going to happen to Silvia.

I'm looking for another sport-suspension, long wheelbase, air-ride, mostly loaded LS, but they're far and few between. Well, they'd be less-so if I weren't also holding out for sub-$17K and sub-100K miles.

I may see an S55 or S63 in my future...
Old 11-17-18, 01:03 PM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

That impact had to be impressive to buckle the roof. The heck with the car being totaled, that’s why you have insurance. But your decision to drive an LS may have saved your life! Glad you’re ok.
mckellyb (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 01:22 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Dang! Glad you were not seriously injured. Sorry to hear about the run-in, no pun intended, with the irresponsible parties. Unbelievable that the police didn't find cause to arrest the other person. What does the police report say and curious what the other side claimed happened?
mckellyb (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 01:37 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

What a bummer. Glad you're okay.
mckellyb (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 03:08 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LuvmyLS
That impact had to be impressive to buckle the roof. The heck with the car being totaled, that’s why you have insurance. But your decision to drive an LS may have saved your life! Glad you’re ok.
I fully believe the mass and build strength of the LS saved me from likely hospital time.

The people I hit better be glad I didn't get them in the doors, because it likely would have killed both of them.
Old 11-17-18, 03:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb;10361801.......I hit the roof the car with my head, [i
hard[/i],
Well that's why you weren't hurt! Sorry, I couldn't help it, especially since you are OK.

All right, start your search for another LS, forget that S55 or S63 crap.
mckellyb (11-17-18)
Old 11-17-18, 05:27 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Yeah, that was me. In fact, not seven minutes earlier, I dropped an oil sample in the mail to Blackstone.

I e-mailed them and asked them to not do anything until I learned what was going to happen to Silvia.

I'm looking for another sport-suspension, long wheelbase, air-ride, mostly loaded LS, but they're far and few between. Well, they'd be less-so if I weren't also holding out for sub-$17K and sub-100K miles.

I may see an S55 or S63 in my future...
Mercedes? Oh no! Haha.
Old 11-17-18, 08:06 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Hi McKellyb, very glad to hear you were not badly hurt in this nasty accident. Best wishes for finding another LS soon.
mckellyb (11-18-18)
Old 11-17-18, 08:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Awwww Jeeeez.... So sorry man. I know it's hard to see it this way, but YOU are OK. THAT's what matters. Try to see this as a new adventure and opportunity to own something else that will equally please. Keep us posted on how this progresses!

Take care
mckellyb (11-18-18)

Quick Reply: My time on the LS460 board was short...