LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

common problems with LS 2013+

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 05:32 AM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

I didn’t know there is ambient light above the glove box. Probably mine is broken too. It’s also cosmetics so I’m not too concerned.

The battery discharge might be an issue though. I think my LS has the same problem during cold winter months. The battery would drain out if the car sits for a week. It also happens with a new battery installed. Now every two week I’d hook a battery maintainer to keep the battery charged during cold months.

Last edited by Kuhan; 11-20-18 at 05:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Richardgil (12-02-18)
Old 11-20-18, 07:12 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I didn’t know there is ambient light above the glove box. Probably mine is broken too. It’s also cosmetics so I’m not too concerned.

The battery discharge might be an issue though. I think my LS has the same problem during cold winter months. The battery would drain out if the car sits for a week. It also happens with a new battery installed. Now every two week I’d hook a battery maintainer to keep the battery charged during cold months.
You are not missing much, Kuhan. I had my ambient light replaced by my mechanic for $230 (Lexus quoted $316). I wanted "everything working" but in hindsight I would rather have spent the money on other toys. The ambient light is too dim to notice anyways. It is only bright while you're parked. If only there was a way to override the setting, similar to DVD bypass, so that max ambient brightness stays the same while in Drive.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10022516
Old 11-20-18, 07:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The ambient lighting is nice, but I wouldn't pay money to fix it if it went out.
Old 11-20-18, 01:34 PM
C5vetteguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats a VERY unusual problem...
That's what I thought!!! On a Lexus LS460???!!!! You have to be freaking kidding me! And I'm a former Mercedes-Benz fan until my '13 ML550 at 45K mi's on the clock, developed an internal engine oil leak that took out the electronic engine control module and a bunch of sensors. All this to the tune of $4,500! This wouldn't happen on a Yugo at 45mi's on the clock! Needless to say that the Benz was traded in on the '13 LS460 F Sport. So there's a part of me that fears that the curse/ghost of Mercedes-Benz unreliability has followed me to Lexus! And yes my Lexus engine motor mounts were covered on CPO as otherwise it would have cost me $1,500 per my Lexus service writer.
Old 11-20-18, 01:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I would just chock that up to an unusual fluke and not worry about it.

And also, don't have it worked on by the Lexus dealer if you're paying. If that job cost $1,500 at Lexus it probably cost $500 at an independent shop. Do some research and find a good one that knows asian cars.
Old 11-23-18, 05:55 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have what a few other people have reported and it's a fast running clock. The clock looks nice , but runs about 20 minutes fast every 5 hours.
Old 11-24-18, 05:44 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by aslowdodge
I have what a few other people have reported and it's a fast running clock. The clock looks nice , but runs about 20 minutes fast every 5 hours.
Some folks with 2013 LS 460s have reported clock issues, but usually with the DST feature. This issue was covered by a TSB. Maybe your speeding clock is also covered.

I have not heard of your clock problem in my time on CL. It must be a fairly rare problem. Hope it gets fixed under warranty. Good luck!
Old 11-24-18, 08:35 AM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger

Some folks with 2013 LS 460s have reported clock issues, but usually with the DST feature. This issue was covered by a TSB. Maybe your speeding clock is also covered.

I have not heard of your clock problem in my time on CL. It must be a fairly rare problem. Hope it gets fixed under warranty. Good luck!
Thanks. I turned off the DST feature and tried different combos to no avail. Any links to tsb here?
Old 11-25-18, 07:22 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by aslowdodge
Thanks. I turned off the DST feature and tried different combos to no avail. Any links to tsb here?
The TSB PDF is available in post #12 of the following thread. It covers only a DST problem, but if your clock has that issue also, maybe you can get a new clock that solves your speeding issue too.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...djustment.html
Old 12-06-18, 05:34 PM
jarm
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I have had my 13 LS 460L now for a couple of years. I traded in my 2007 for a newer model. Please, Please drive the car before you buy it. Check if there is a whining from the transmission at low speeds. Some 13's whine and some do not . I was so in love with this car, and a got a great price that I did not pay attention to the whine in the transmission. I did not find out about this till after purchase. Mine does have a low whine in low speeds. I have researched this and Lexus has not come up with a fix. I took it to the dealer and they said the same old BS that they did not hear anything. If you get into a $100,000 dollar cost new car you should not hear anything. Some people said they don't have any whine. Some people have a worst whine than mine. One guy complained to Lexus so much they replace it with a new transmission. And it still whined. Other than that I have had no problems at all. I love this car. I just don't pay attention to the whine. I read that some pump in the transmission is not large enough to pump the fluid. These are sealed transmissions. Some people have changed the trans fluid and it has helped. If anyone knows any info please chime in. Like I said I love this car. Also I would get the Mark Levinson. To me it was worth it. I went ahead a purchased the L series and love it too.
Old 12-07-18, 05:30 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

There is a TSB on the whine ( mine has it too) and I hear it at speeds up to about 40mph. Dealer tech “can’t hear it” for some reason. Dealer quoted $1,200 to perform the TSB though.
Old 12-09-18, 06:00 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the inputs of digging out all the querks, i know that all luxury cars have some problems and i'm willing to cope with it. Will seriously looking for an used one loaded with options minus the air suspension.
Old 12-10-18, 08:11 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

How is it that a TSB would cost anything? Aren't TSBs basically a notice to dealers that if the car comes in with whatever the TSB issue is that it gets replaced/fixed like it was under warranty even if there isn't a warranty on the car? Why wouldn't a TSB be 100% free?
Old 12-11-18, 05:46 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

That particular TSB ends under the drive train warranty at 70k miles. I bought mine at 68k miles and didn’t know about the TSB until too late. I bought the car as a CPO from dealer and they still would not honor the TSB. Also, the tech “can’t hear” the whine. $1,200 to cure (maybe).

Old 12-11-18, 08:44 AM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I think suspension issues will continue into the 2013+ LS. I know some people consider this normal, but IMO it's not. I've been keeping my eye out for a certified LS. This 2014 came up recently and I was surprised to see all the suspension work it's had done at only 33K miles!

Quick Reply: common problems with LS 2013+