LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Good news from Lexus about melting door panel, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 07:03 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

this seems a smart move to save the reputation of the older LS460
Old 11-15-18, 10:52 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 346 Likes on 236 Posts

I emailed them this morning- I have a July 2010 production (2 months away from a 2011 model year). They said I will receive a letter in a couple of weeks and to take my car to the Lexus dealer for inspection. I will def push for my glove box to be replaced - I paid about $800 to wrap my door panels in vinyl so not sure I will have them remove those in order to replace them with the standard material as I think the stitched vinyl actually looks good.
Old 11-17-18, 11:38 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls460kidd
Mine got done 2 weeks ago
wonder how long did it take for your replacement parts to arrive? Thanks.
Old 11-17-18, 01:36 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I did not receive any letter
I dropped off my car for a warranty work this morning and my SA asked me about melting dashboard and door panel issues.
He said there's a Lexus *** and it's good til 2021. Just FYI.
Old 11-17-18, 04:55 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

good question as to how long it will take to get parts for all these requests. I had my 2011 door panels and entire dashboard replaced by Lexus at no cost about 6 months ago (before they decided to finally help all the owners out more recently) and I had to wait almost a year for all the parts to come in.
Old 11-18-18, 06:00 AM
rolloman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 09 LS. My dealer has declined to replace my melting door panels and glove box for years. The material is melting at the touch onto my family’s hands. Even when outside temps are as low as 70. Gets worse every year.

Happy to see that many of you are getting help. I’m willing to make one last ditch effort to get resolution of this obvious factory defect. This will probably be my last Lexus. The dealer has been surprisingly smug and uncooperative with this issue.

What info do I bring to my dealer to get this done? Remaining calm and hopeful. Thanks!
Old 11-18-18, 10:46 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd contact Lexus directly and get the ZLZ Campaign letter from them. Then I'd go to the dealer with the letter.
Old 11-19-18, 01:54 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 211 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by rolloman
I have an 09 LS. My dealer has declined to replace my melting door panels and glove box for years. The material is melting at the touch onto my family’s hands. Even when outside temps are as low as 70. Gets worse every year.

Happy to see that many of you are getting help. I’m willing to make one last ditch effort to get resolution of this obvious factory defect. This will probably be my last Lexus. The dealer has been surprisingly smug and uncooperative with this issue.

What info do I bring to my dealer to get this done? Remaining calm and hopeful. Thanks!
firstly stop using that dealer.. and you can contact lexus on facebook that is the easiest.
Old 11-19-18, 04:03 PM
rolloman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Called Lexus Corporate upon your suggestions. They sent me letter and instructions for the dealer. Went to the dealer...they reluctantly took pictures and submitted all items for a complete replacement of all 4 door panels, glove box and center console. They were well aware of the ZLZ CSP and told me that the parts should arrive within 2 months. I’m still a bit skeptical but much more hopeful that this will all finally be rectified after many years of back and forth.

Big thanks to each of you and to CL! This forum has saved me thousands $$$ through out the years. Real Life saver!
Old 11-19-18, 06:44 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

The dealers see this as a lose lose situation. I am guessing. They act like its such a bother. I can't wait to see what mine says.
Old 11-20-18, 08:56 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Glad Lexus is taking more steps to try to correct their design failure, took too long though and probably too much complaining but glad they finally decided to step up. Now they need to extend the brake actuator warranty.
Old 11-20-18, 12:11 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I've discussed this in another thread, but I'm so happy, I'm just a typing away. Back when the 2007's were being justified with new interiors, I called corporate and they flat out told me no on my 08. I've check prices in town and it was crazy money to replace my driver side armrest which has cracked beyond measure and is covered with electrical tape. But seeing a thread prompted me to call my dealership and they told me to bring it in next week. Looks like it's going to be covered. That's the best news yet. Now, whether I keep it or upgrade, it's only going to mean better money and better looks. Yay Lexus!!
Old 11-28-18, 05:18 PM
Jenifred97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Jasoneo5
Any panels that would be replaced need to be sticky
-> Newbie here... and a GIRL.. so pardon my ignorance if any.

My son has a 2007 Lexus LS 460 and the dash is really sticky! The panels and dash down near steering and such at literally having pieces of the dash FALL OFF... any idea if his car might be covered??
Old 11-28-18, 05:26 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Jenifred97
-> Newbie here... and a GIRL.. so pardon my ignorance if any.

My son has a 2007 Lexus LS 460 and the dash is really sticky! The panels and dash down near steering and such at literally having pieces of the dash FALL OFF... any idea if his car might be covered??

Good chance. I would may a appt to a dealer near you.
Old 11-29-18, 06:19 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 346 Likes on 236 Posts

In addition to the stickiness, is everyone else seeing discoloration as well? The interior of my car is black and almost all of the surfaces (glove box, door panels, and the entire center console piece) turn a very light grey with smudges everywhere if I don't keep an interior dressing on them every 2 weeks or so. This type of discoloration may not be as noticeable on the lighter colors - but if anyone who has gotten commitment from Lexus to replace certain pieces can respond about their experience with discoloration I'd appreciate it. Still waiting for my letter from Lexus corporate to arrive so I can take my car in for inspection.

Quick Reply: Good news from Lexus about melting door panel, etc...