LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 LS-460 Subwoofer, Amp, LEDs and Sound Control Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 04:18 PM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 LS-460 Subwoofer, Amp, LEDs and Sound Control Install

I know this topic has been done several time before, but if there is interest I will post more progress photos and reference material. I have not figured out the final AMP and processor mounting, so excuse the unfinished look for now. As a quick summary of what I did: Amp wiring, remote bass **** in cabin, sound deadening all over the trunk, JL Audio LoC22 input processor, JL Audio 500.1v2 Amp, and JL Audio sub enclosure CP212-W0V3 which has dual 12". Also trunk and cabin LED lights, cabin lLED's can change color and play to sound of the music. All interfaced to a Mark Levinson. I am adding an external FAN to the Mark Levinson AMP as well as a FAN to the JL AMP, all this just because, no heat issues but it was easy to do now versus later. My primary music source is Spotify Premium from my phone. Total sound is phenomenal, no rattle in the LEX, just pure deep, tight bass.
Old 11-04-18, 01:08 AM
k311in
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Will be watching
Old 11-04-18, 03:03 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Did I miss some pictures????
Old 11-05-18, 06:46 PM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

not sure why I cant add photos...been trying. I can upload them, but cant get them in the post.

Last edited by scubadogg; 11-11-18 at 05:11 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 11-11-18, 05:34 PM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

Default 2012 LS460 AWD with ML Sound

Finally figure out I need to add some text before I add the photo. I saved a ton of money doing this myself, and really the hardest part was taking all the trim out of the trunk and Dynomating the interior trunk area. Dynomating gives awesome tight, extended no rattling bass. I love my ML sound system now. The first photo is of the interior with the Door Projector Lights and the lower seat area LED lights that are remote controllable and can change color and can be sound activated and change color with the music.

Below is the Bass ****, I was going to hard wire it into the compartment that the ashtray was in, but I am debating if I will just leave it as it is, since its very convenient to operate.

Here is the photo of the JL audio subs with lighting.

Not the best photo but here is a photo of the Fan I installed for the ML amp. I also added dual fans to the JL audio 500.1 amp, even though it never runs hot.

Also a better photo of trunk .. Still have a decent amount of trunk space. Actually I can remove subs if needed to and replace with a single 12": JL cabinet left over from my 2005 LS that I can replace if I need trunk space or just use my F-150...lol

Last edited by scubadogg; 11-12-18 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add more photos
The following 2 users liked this post by scubadogg:
NotFasty (11-21-18), Parrokeete (12-08-21)
Old 11-27-18, 04:06 PM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

Here are a few photos of the sound damping install

Bottom of the rear deck (probably the second most important area to dampen, the truck door is the most important.

The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (12-08-21)
Old 07-01-19, 08:21 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I am going to be getting a JL Slash 500.1 amp installed soon. Where did you place yours? What about the LOC? I went with the LC2i.
Old 07-11-19, 01:33 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Where did you mount the amp? Under the deck? Behind a side panel, behind the box? On the box?
Old 12-03-21, 08:50 AM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsherv
Where did you mount the amp? Under the deck? Behind a side panel, behind the box? On the box?

where did you end up mounting the amp?
Old 12-03-21, 01:22 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigsherv
Sadly, I don’t have the car anymore. Sadly, one of the casualties of the past pandemic was Squirrels eating up the wiring in the under body of my fsport and insurance totaled it out. However this forum was so great I have to take time to answer your question. .

The installer took off off the right side carpet paneling. Almost towards the seat he found some metal that he was able to attach two rods too and built out a bracke/mount that he attached the amp to so that if would not touch anything if it rattled. I could adjust the amp as needed. It was like it was suspended in air behind the molded paneling. He used Velcro to mount the signal process onto the some body immediately behind the panel.

This post reminded me that I need to post that this custom box needs to be sold sometime soon. It is sitting in a tub in may garage when someone could be using it. I loved it but I don’t have a SWB LS anymore. Man I loved that car.
Old 12-06-21, 09:45 AM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

haven't been on the forum in a while...still LOVING my sub install. I saw a question about the amp, I mounted mine on the side of the speaker box along with the high/low input converter. I may add a DSP this spring, but it sounds great without it, especially thru Bluetooth with Spotify and some custom eq.

Last edited by scubadogg; 12-06-21 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-06-21, 09:56 AM
RufusX
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadogg
havent ben on the fourm in a while...still LOVING my sub install. I saw a question about the amp, I mounted mine on the side of the speaker box along with the high/low input converter. I may ad a DSP this spring, but it sounds great without it, especially thru Bluetooth with Spotify and some custom eq.
I really like what you have done! A couple of questions, if you don't mind: (1) where did you install the sub remote **** in the cabin? (2) does your setup have any kind of parametric EQ or anything to adjust the sub frequencies (the ML amp just has a bass boost/cut but no ability to determine what the frequencies are that are boosted/cut); how did you install the interior ambient lighting? and (4) did you do this yourself or have someone else do it?

Thanks! I would like do do some similar mods to mine.

EDIT: Never mind, I see the bass **** in the photos above. Did you just run the feed from the ML sub into some kind of attenuator and then your separate amp?
Old 12-08-21, 06:56 AM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I like to enjoy good music in my car also. The sound makes all the difference. I recently bought a 2007 ls 460L with the Mark Levenson system in it. The sound was terrible and last week I decided to take it to my local stereo shop and they installed a few new 6x9's and 6x5's along with a Polk Audio DB+8 subwoofer in the rear deck. Now it sounds amazing.

Last edited by Parrokeete; 12-20-21 at 03:39 PM.
Ogun360 (12-15-21)
Old 12-08-21, 10:25 AM
RufusX
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Parrokeete
I like to enjoy good music in my car also. The sound makes all the difference. I recently bought a 2007 ls 460 with the Mark Levenson stereo in it. The sound was terrible and last week I decided to take it to my local stereo shop and they installed a few new 6x9's and 6x5's along with a Polk Audio DB+8 subwoofer in the rear deck. Now it sounds amazing.
I wonder if some of your old speakers were blown or worn out or something. I have the ML in my 2015 LWB LS and I certainly wouldn't describe the sound as terrible. In fact, overall I think it is really good. Not the best car audio system I have ever heard but better than many. The main deficiency, IMO, is it could use some more bass oomph and I wish it was possible to adjust the frequencies affected by the 3 band boost/cut EQ (like with a parametric EQ or something). Boosting the bass up on the ML EQ too much tends to make some songs boomy. Likewise, I wish the EQ was accessible without having to menu dive on the infotainment system. That is a big hassle and prevents any adjustments while driving.

Also, I grant it seems better suited for music like classical, jazz, and other styles that have a fair amount of dynamics and benefit from excellent detail and imaging. It performs less well for styles where you want to be pummeled with power and volume. When I crank up the 80's metal, I don't get the thump of the kick drum or power of the bass guitar that I would like. But there are compromises in every system and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get that without overwhelming the sound when I don't want those things.

Last edited by RufusX; 12-08-21 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-13-21, 06:56 AM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

Ill add, this is my third LSXXX and all have had ML systems. The ML sounds wonderful except for the silly free-air woofer. With my two JLs my system sounds specular, and with the added dyno mat damping, minimal outside rattle and kick you in the neck bass that sounds good with any music. Even the 1812 overture from the Cincy pop with those cannon hits...OMG, I going to die deaf...LOL
ill57 (01-01-22)

Quick Reply: 2012 LS-460 Subwoofer, Amp, LEDs and Sound Control Install