LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 LS-460 Subwoofer, Amp, LEDs and Sound Control Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-21, 06:19 AM
flashy5
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadogg
Ill add, this is my third LSXXX and all have had ML systems. The ML sounds wonderful except for the silly free-air woofer. With my two JLs my system sounds specular, and with the added dyno mat damping, minimal outside rattle and kick you in the neck bass that sounds good with any music. Even the 1812 overture from the Cincy pop with those cannon hits...OMG, I going to die deaf...LOL
So you just added a aftermarket sub and amp kept everything else the same
Old 12-20-21, 06:51 AM
scubadogg
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the process is detailed above, again its been running rock solid for a few years now. In a nutshell, I got the diagram for the existing ML amp, then I took out the silly free air sub and routed the wiring in to a JL audio preamp, then control wiring, power runs, along with a remote bass **** in the cabin. The ML amp still powers everything else other than the subs.
Old 12-20-21, 03:42 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RufusX
I wonder if some of your old speakers were blown or worn out or something. I have the ML in my 2015 LWB LS and I certainly wouldn't describe the sound as terrible. In fact, overall I think it is really good. Not the best car audio system I have ever heard but better than many. The main deficiency, IMO, is it could use some more bass oomph and I wish it was possible to adjust the frequencies affected by the 3 band boost/cut EQ (like with a parametric EQ or something). Boosting the bass up on the ML EQ too much tends to make some songs boomy. Likewise, I wish the EQ was accessible without having to menu dive on the infotainment system. That is a big hassle and prevents any adjustments while driving.

Also, I grant it seems better suited for music like classical, jazz, and other styles that have a fair amount of dynamics and benefit from excellent detail and imaging. It performs less well for styles where you want to be pummeled with power and volume. When I crank up the 80's metal, I don't get the thump of the kick drum or power of the bass guitar that I would like. But there are compromises in every system and I'm not sure how easy it would be to get that without overwhelming the sound when I don't want those things.
I had blown speakers and they were replaced.
Old 12-29-21, 06:25 PM
ill57
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Parrokeete
I like to enjoy good music in my car also. The sound makes all the difference. I recently bought a 2007 ls 460L with the Mark Levenson system in it. The sound was terrible and last week I decided to take it to my local stereo shop and they installed a few new 6x9's and 6x5's along with a Polk Audio DB+8 subwoofer in the rear deck. Now it sounds amazing.

i have a small hissing sound coming from front driver speaker on dash coming out. anyways what speakers did you go with ( model number). can i replace my oems with out messing with the ML system? thanks
Old 12-30-21, 05:16 AM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ill57
i have a small hissing sound coming from front driver speaker on dash coming out. anyways what speakers did you go with ( model number). can i replace my oems with out messing with the ML system? thanks
I installed Powerbass 6x9’s in front doors and 6.5’s in rear doors and the Polk Audio DB+8 subwoofer in back deck. If you like loud music you should get another amp because the ML amp will not push the subwoofer with really high volume but it’s high enough for me @ volume level 40, I mostly don’t go over 20 to 35.
Old 12-30-21, 06:39 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

I installed Powerbass 6x9’s in front doors and 6.5’s in rear doors and the Polk Audio DB+8 subwoofer in back deck. If you like loud music you should get another amp because the ML amp will not push the subwoofer with really high volume but it’s high enough for me @ volume level 40, I mostly don’t go over 20 to 35.
I always listen to Smooth Jazz at about 40 Max and I just can't believe a system can sound any better than this stock ML system. Call me crazy but I'm an Old Man now.
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (12-30-21)
Old 12-30-21, 07:54 AM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
I always listen to Smooth Jazz at about 40 Max and I just can't believe a system can sound any better than this stock ML system. Call me crazy but I'm an Old Man now.
I hear you and I’m an old man too and will be a year older in a few days January 3rd. Smooth Jazz is what I’ve been listening to for many years. The CD’s sound great also on my system. I’m a stickler for hearing all the instruments and it started when I was in my school band and I am hooked. You can turn the subwoofer down by lowering the bass but if you add a equalizer to the system you can really find tune it if you feel you need it. Mine is just fine the way it is now. It could be because I never got the opportunity to listen to the ML when it was working properly because when I got the car a few months ago it had blown speakers.
Old 12-30-21, 08:09 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Talking

I hear you and I’m an old man too and will be a year older in a few days January 3rd. Smooth Jazz is what I’ve been listening to for many years. The CD’s sound great also on my system. I’m a stickler for hearing all the instruments and it started when I was in my school band and I am hooked. You can turn the subwoofer down by lowering the bass but if you add a equalizer to the system you can really find tune it if you feel you need it. Mine is just fine the way it is now. It could be because I never got the opportunity to listen to the ML when it was working properly because when I got the car a few months ago it had blown speakers.
I guess all of us X High School band members all love us some Mark Levinson sound systems !!!
Parrokeete (12-30-21)
Old 01-01-22, 02:00 PM
ill57
9th Gear

PowerBass OE-690D

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_151OE690D/PowerBass-OE-690D.html?tp=68800

thank you for the information, is it the ones above?

Old 01-01-22, 04:50 PM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I purchased the Alpine 6x9 components for $125 on amazon

Amazon Amazon

Replaced only one side that was blown on my ML sound and you can't tell the difference so much so that I am going to replace the other non blown speaker and sell it for $100 on ebay before I blow it. I have blown 3 of these now and cost $150 USED.

I also replaced my head unit with one of these.
https://www.usstockphoenixautomotive...9142f02b&_ss=r

It makes the ML system HUM so much I was going to replace all the ML speakers. The android unit has like a 40 band equalizer that you can tune instead of the 3 band (treble/bass/mid) that comes with ML makes a world of difference.

The following 2 users liked this post by derreckla:
ill57 (01-03-22), Parrokeete (01-01-22)
Old 01-01-22, 07:09 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ill57

PowerBass OE-690D

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_151OE690D/PowerBass-OE-690D.html?tp=68800

thank you for the information, is it the ones above?
The 6x9 is 3-way 210 watts S series full range model S-6903 autosound series and the 6.5’s are 150 watts 2-way model S-6502 autosound series.
Old 01-03-22, 05:46 PM
ill57
9th Gear

The 6x9 is 3-way 210 watts S series full range model S-6903 autosound series and the 6.5’s are 150 watts 2-way model S-6502 autosound series.

anyone know the ohm on the speaker (86160-0WG10 ) on the doors? i tried looking online for detailed specs?

S-6903 6x9" Full Range

• 6x9" Tri-Axial Speaker System
  • OEM Drop in Replacement Design
  • Black 2-layer Paper, DDC (Dynamic Damping Coating) Cone
  • Double Pressed Treated Foam Surround
  • 10 oz. Motor Structure
  • Shallow Mounting Depth
  • EFF Motor Structures (Efficient Flux Field)
  • Rigid Tooled Basket With Flat Black Finish
  • 2" PEI Dome Mid-range and 0.75” Tweeter
  • SEL Tweeter Ring (Sound Expander Lens)
  • 4-ohm System Impedance
  • Nominal Impedance: 4-ohm
  • Material: 2 layer paper DDC cone / silk dome tweeter
  • Magnet Size: 20 oz
  • Sensitivity (1W / 1M): 90 dB
  • Mounting Depth: 3.3 in
  • VC Impedance:
  • Size: 6x9 in
  • Sensitivity: 90 dB
  • Frequency Response: 45 Hz - 20 kHz
  • Voice Coil Size:
  • Power Handling (RMS/Peak): 70 / 210 watts
VS

OE-690D 6x9" DVC Woofer

• 6x9" OE Replacement Woofer
  • OEM Drop in Replacement Design
  • Dual Voice Coil 2Ω or 8Ω impedance
  • Grey Injection Molded PP/Carbon Fiber Cone
  • Butyl Rubber Surround
  • 20 oz. Motor Structure
  • Shallow Mounting Depth
  • EFF Motor Structures (Efficient Flux Field)
  • Rigid Tooled Basket With Flat Gray Finish
  • Nominal Impedance: 2-ohm / 8-ohm
  • Material: Injection Molded PP Cone
  • Magnet Size: 20 oz
  • Sensitivity (1W / 1M): 90 dB
  • Mounting Depth: 3.25 in
  • Size: 6x9 in
  • Sensitivity: 90 dB
  • Frequency Response: 50 Hz - 5.5 kHz
  • Power Handling (RMS/Peak): 70 / 140 watts

Last edited by ill57; 01-03-22 at 06:18 PM.
Parrokeete (01-04-22)
Old 01-04-22, 08:09 AM
derreckla
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't know the answer to the ohms but before I found the set I bought

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/s-s69c

I was just going to buy a full range 6x9 like this and cut the wires from the woofer to the mid and tweet. I am sure it would work its a cheap fix unless you want to spend 3x as much for components
Old 01-04-22, 10:31 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,212 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by flashy5
So you just added a aftermarket sub and amp kept everything else the same
On a previous ES350, I got a powered subwoofer, ran a dedicated power wire and attached a pair of wires to the existing rear deck subwoofer and used them is input to powered sub. It may not be textbook correct, but it sounded great to me and was a big improvement. Sometimes easy shortcuts work great.
Old 01-29-22, 11:39 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadogg
Most of the process is detailed above, again its been running rock solid for a few years now. In a nutshell, I got the diagram for the existing ML amp, then I took out the silly free air sub and routed the wiring in to a JL audio preamp, then control wiring, power runs, along with a remote bass **** in the cabin. The ML amp still powers everything else other than the subs.
Scubadogg, where did you find the diagram for the ML amp? I am working on a stereo install but I want to keep my factory head unit. A diagram of the ML amp would help cut out a tremendous amount of time trying to figure which wires go to which speakers.
Parrokeete (01-30-22)

Quick Reply: 2012 LS-460 Subwoofer, Amp, LEDs and Sound Control Install